Build: Seven string multiscale Telecaster with some gimmicks

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Eumldeuml, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Dobby got a fretboard, Dobby is now free :wavey:
    But it's only pine so Dobby might still be a slave and has to do it again :ugh:

Fretboard.jpg
    And don't mind the mess in the background, someday I'll clean my room... someday...

But I'm still not satisfied with the inlays.. Anyone got a cool idea what I could do?

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think the dots look pretty cool.

One thing I had considered for inlays long ago was the symbols for the eight planets with the bridge/pickups as the sun. So the 24th fret is not marked, but the 21st is Mercury, 19th is Venus, 17th is Earth, 15th is Mars, 12th is asteroids, 9th is Jupiter, 7th is Saturn, 5th is Uranus, then 3rd is Neptune. You could play with that a bit to come up with Pluto for the first fret or throw in something on the 24th, or reverse the entire thing, or go with a different idea completely.

I mean, your guitar isn't really space-themed, so it doesn't necessary work, and it's maybe a lot of work for what it'd be worth anyway...

[​IMG]

3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Wow that is looking sharp. The dots are pretty cool. Elegant.

... FINE... I'll buy a cnc machine.

4. Electrotimber

Electrotimber SS.org Regular

exellent inlays. I'll stole your idea :)

5. IGC

IGC OCDG

Getting closer! I like the dots. Planets are cool too. Are you thinking about 3d printing? If so check out reprap.org, it's all free open source. Smart person like you could run with that.

6. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

Are you using the same or similar scale lengths as an Ormsby? if so they are going to have spare pickups and bridges available soon.

7. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Go for it! It adds a lot of possibilities to your workshop! For example, you can screw up your parts within a tolerance of 0.05mm! :idea:

I'll take that as a compliment :)

Yes, I often come across situations where a 3D printer would come in quite handy but so far not while building guitars... You mean, I could print the inlays or something?

C'mon, really? xD
    It's the same as with the multiscale itself... when I decided on building one there where only multiscales around that cost ~1500€ or more. Now there is one for 300€ available and from the reviews it seems really good for the price.
    But since Ormsby is using hipshot parts they might be out of my price range xD

8. IGC

IGC OCDG

Yes, I often come across situations where a 3D printer would come in quite handy but so far not while building guitars... You mean, I could print the inlays or something?[/QUOTE]

You could 3d print your inlay material if you wanted. Don't think I would go that route. Im going to try this for inlays next;

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/47/5181/Turners-Select-Powdered-Metal-Inlay

I suggested you check out reprap.org because a budgeted college kid, like yourself could probably make a nice 3d printer for less than 100usd. All the software is open source (free) developed by the reprap community.
    A friend of mine made the one he gave me for less than I think 70usd!
    They are self replicating part makers and the whole idea is to print one and pass it on to a friend for free. Like mine was to me...I still have to learn how to work it, maybe this weekend.
    I have a Mendel Max.

9. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

That metal powder inlay seems like a very cool idea especially since walnut has quite an open grain as far as I'm concerned. I might do that by myself, can't be that hard to make some metal dust (I think it could even work with a wood that has a lighter color..)

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I've been experimenting with a similar idea with turquoise powder and non-lead based solder. the solder is cool because I can just melt it into the inlay cavity and then sand off the excess.

11. bostjan

Doesn't non-lead solder have a higher melting point, though? Doesn't it burn the .... out of the wood?!

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

nah not really, you melt the solder above the cavity and let it drip into the cavity. Not the most effective method but it can turn out cool. you can use silver solder as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVnqoeZAaA

13. IGC

IGC OCDG

That superman looks pretty good, gotta try it!

14. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Just a quick update on what happened since I last posted:

I received the single saddles that were recommended to me by LiveOVErdrive (thank you ver much for that! :)). They are decent quality as far as far as I can tell but they are made from sheet metal so nothing fancy (the ABM saddles are milled from solid brass for example). But yeah It think they will do their job :shred:

I might get free access to the prototyping workshop at my university which would give me every f#cking tool I could ever wish for. They have 'normal' stuff like table saws, belt grinders, CNC machines (lathe and mill) and even fancy sh#t like industrial size 3D printers or waterjet cutter.
    ... I could just stand in the middle of that workshop, never stop turning my head and giggling like an idiot lol... This place is heaven for engineers :wag:

And lastly: Today I made all the toolpaths for the guitar body while listening to the new tunes of Motionless In White and Slaughter To Prevail. :hbang:
    This is easily the biggest mess of toolpaths I created so far :lol:
    CAM2.JPG

15. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

University and band stuff kept me quite busy the last days but here's the bottom half of my telecaster body :)
    Body bottom.jpg
    Did I tell you how much I love CNC's? :bowdown::lol:
    Also the smell of cut multiplex is very nice lol

And by the way: My band released our debut album last week so if you're into melodic metalcore-ish stuff you'll love our music :)
    You can check us out here (I'll promise there won't be more band-related offtopic stuff in this thread) :

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affcband/
    Spotify: http://spoti.fi/2pEEly8
    Bandcamp: http://bit.ly/2q8otbb
    iTunes: http://apple.co/2prGJNs
    Amazon: http://amzn.to/2r6VPUU
    Google Play: http://bit.ly/2r7c9VP
    Shop: http://afeastforcrows.de/shop/

:hbang::hbang::hbang:

16. IGC

IGC OCDG

Haha! Looking good, CNC is cool when you get to make neat stuff that you like. That's all I'm going to say.

Cool band interwebadge, everything looks and sounds of good quality:hbang:

17. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

A quick update: My exams are done for this semester so I'm back to working 'fulltime' on my guitar. Yesterday I finished the bottom part of the guitar body. Bottom part? Yes, you heard right. The body is split into two pieces because of all the stuff I want to cram in there :mrburns:
    Today I'll tackle the top part and when that's done, I'll post some pictures :)

LiveOVErdrive and bostjan like this.
  18. bostjan

FTFY :yesway:

Eumldeuml likes this.
  19. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Sooo when are you going to tell us what the "gimmicks" are?

20. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

Inbuilt beer tap, smugglers cavity & bottle opener ftw