Build: Seven string multiscale Telecaster with some gimmicks

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Eumldeuml, Apr 12, 2017.

1. IGC

IGC OCDG

I hear ya on the price for guitar Woods! I was able to find some decent maple and walnut at the local hardware store, oak too all kiln dried. Then I live about 15 mins away from Woodcraft- could spend hours in there checking out all the exotics, very affordable prices too.
    By the way, may I ask what version of Fusion 360 have you chosen? Standard,Ultimate?

2. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

We have some walnut left at home (which I'm gonna use for the fretboard) and today I visited a local woodworker who might give me some leftover cherry wood.
    Sadly, there's no wood shop in my area which has exotic woods only locals like pine, oak and beech.

On Fusion 360 I'm not really sure which version I have because I got it over Autodesk's education program. But since the normal version is free somehow I might have ultimate. I'll check that out tomorrow for you but now it's time to sleep (it's now 4am in the morning here...:rolleyes:).

3. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Who said CNCing is cheating because it makes everything easy? :nuts:
    CAM1.JPG

Because :worth: here's a rendering that I let run for 15 minutes or something:
    CAD_Rendering small.jpg

And my design would also make for a great headless guitar :lol:
    Headless.jpg

Now I'm off to the woodworker's shop and then I'll start the test cut :hbang:

4. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Well... That went better than expected :D
    I got a gigantic slab of walnut, over 100 years old so completely dry. I might get like four to six necks out of it and I payed 10€ :lol:
    Walnut.jpg
    It's like in music: Support your local (woodworker) scene :agreed:

So it's gonna be walnut neck with walnut fretboard.... Or I might make the body completely walnut and the neck maple.... So much possibilities :ugh: Any recommendations?

It's the Ultimate Edition but it also says 'student'. So maybe there are differences compared to the normal ultimate but I don't think so.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

do a walnut and maple laminate neck.

6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

+1. Always a good look.

Maybe a walnut drop top on an Ash body.

7. IGC

IGC OCDG

sweet!

8. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

This is indeed a very good idea. But it would require a saw that I can make long and precise cuts with...

9. IGC

IGC OCDG

Do you have any saws? You seem like the techie type...you have got to make your own Pickups for this thing! :shred:

10. KnightBrolaire

there's no community woodshops or anything like that where you could use a table saw?

11. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

At first this was my plan but since they are slanted I'd need to make an 8 strin pickup and ideally not with poles but with a bar magnet. And I couldn't find a bar magnet that size so I'm just going for EMG 808X's. :hbang:

I know of one and they have pretty decent machines (not just for woodworking, also textiles, metal, electrics and what not). If only they wouldn't charge you like 120€ for a month subscription to work there and on top of that you need a safety course for every type of machine which again costs 160€ or something. :nuts:

12. LiveOVErdrive

You could use stratocaster style pole pieces instead of a bar magnet and just build it like a humbucker.

13. IGC

IGC OCDG

If you have some Pickups from maybe...a cheap beginner guitar, you can carefully dissect them for the pre-wound coils and mags wich are easily re-positionable to your custom needs. Then its just a custom mounting plate-route it from wood. I was able to easily push the rod magnets out some lesser model strat humbucker Pickups I have like nothing. Then I have some with the ceramic lower bar magnet and steel rods positioned thru the coils contacting the north pole thru one coil and south thru the other coil/ side of pickup. All great for custom pickup Hacking! And free if you all ready own them! I'm a fan of EMG too!

What is the max "X" axis travel on your router? You may be able to spiral cutt "profile route" (contour ramp) around the individual neck lam strips if you can hand saw the lengths close. Fasten them to the router table wiith Peachtree brand double sided carpenters tape...love that stuff! Get your router bit up in the Collett as far as possible for rigity. Maybe cut several out of one larger piece and leave small connecting tabs to cut out by hand so the strips don't shift and break your bit at cut thru

14. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Regarding the pickup: You mean that I could "convert" a standard six string pickup into an eight string pickup? That would be quite cool :hbang:

The X axis is big enough for a neck so that's no problem. With your method I could also do a dovetail style joint.. :idea:
    But what exactly are the advantages of a multi laminate neck apart from looking quite cool? Stability?

15. odibrom

odibrom .

... so they say...

16. LiveOVErdrive

Yeah. The idea is that with multiple pieces laminated, if one tries to warp the others will resist it. Works really well of you cut the pieces from the same board and glue them opposite each other so that they have the tendency to warp the same way - but opposite.

17. KnightBrolaire

multi laminate necks are quite stable. I built a walnut and maple 5-piece neck and it hasn't moved at all in the year since I've built it, even with me keeping it in my garage for a while (gets pretty humid/super cold/hot here so it's a good test for the neck stability).

18. IGC

IGC OCDG

Yes you most certainly can make an 8 string pickup out of a six string double coil humbucker by offsetting the coils etc. Or you can go the Lace Alumitone hack style pickup...some good food for thought in this link;

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

That's what I'v been working on, I'm in the process of finding a good step up wallwart transformer. Or I may end up building a coil winder and winding it...easy and fun! :shred:Lots of good stuff on line.

19. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Regarding the multi-piece neck: i might di it if I get the cuts to a high enough precision with a jigsaw. But in this case it's also going to be a walnut-only neck because I'm going for a 'worn-out' look on the backside of the neck (a little lighter color towards the center and darker at the ends of the neck).

I'll also look into that pickup stuff but I'm afraid that I won't have the time since university started again yesterday :coffee:

And now for the test cut(s) :D

This is the truss rod slot. It fits very nicely in there.
    Test cut neck 1.jpg

Roughed out the neck shape and now carving the headstock backside
    Test cut neck 2.jpg

Refining the neck shape
    Test cut neck 3.jpg

This is what the neck looks like directly from the mill (the shape shouldn't be recessed into the neck that's because I f#cked up a little :rolleyes:)
    Neck 2.jpg

Now this was a lot of work for a cricket bat lol
    Neck 1.jpg

20. IGC

IGC OCDG

Looks good man!