Build a PC or steam machine? PC noob.

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by MoshJosh, Apr 13, 2016.

1. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Ok so I've always been a console gamer, but with the rising cost of consoles, and me soon needing a computer I'm thinking about trying something new.

Now to my understanding a steam machine/box isn't a PC exactly, in that I can't plug in a keyboard and load up Microsoft word. Though there are some advantages to this in that I could just get another Mac which I really like haha

I guess the real question is can I buy the components and build a decent gaming PC for about the same price as a steam machine.

and before you guys start getting all technical, I know pretty much nothing about computers, I would be having a buddy who actually knows what he's doing build/assemble it for me.

2. asher

asher So Did We

PC PC PC PC PC

Utterly no point to getting a steam machine.

3. Pav

Pav ???

Don't get a steam machine, the point of them is that they condense a PC into a console-sized experience. If you have a need for a better computer, just build yourself a decent PC. You'll be able take care of all of your practical needs AND run your games with great performance on one system. No need to pay through the nose for two separate machines when you can easily build one that does it all.

4. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

But can one be built for a similar price point? About $600 I think is what they go for.

5. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Yes. They're just PCs in a smaller case.

Visit Logical Increments and find your price point. Compare to hardware in a Steam Machine of similar price. I'm almost certain you'll get more for less. Especially at $600 or less, a lot of the Steam machines pack pretty low end Intel, even i3 models.

(There's several sites that offer functionality like the one above, it's just my current favorite)

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

+1 for a plain ol' PC. Building is pretty easy to do. There's tooooooooons of info and conversations out there (and on this site) about what goes into a build, but at the end of the day it's not super complicated. I vote for learning to do it yourself, or getting your buddy to do it, but just pay reasonably close attention.

7. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

Have your buddy spec you out an Asus and buy it. This is the best advice you will get in this thread.

8. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

You can buy a case for your computer that has a smaller form factor. It's not like you have to build one with a massive tower. Just have your buddy spec something out in a case like this, that way you can get the small form factor as well as a powerful machine!

9. asher

asher So Did We

Although I looove my new fatty Carbide case. Easiest wiring ever.

10. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

I have a Cooler Master HAF X. It's a god damn tank, but wiring was very easy as well lol!

11. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

Seems relevant

[​IMG]

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Have your buddy build you a PC. Steam machines were a very cool idea, that have needed up not delivering in the initial promise in a cost-effective way. You can do a LOT with $5-700 without worrying about needing tiny form factor.

13. Pav

Pav ???

Hell we could even walk you through putting it together in this thread, assembling a PC is not complicated at all once you have all of your components in front of you. The most "technical" part of building a PC is reading through hardware specs, trying to decide what to buy in the first place. :2c:

14. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

PC!

Far superior performance, and upgradeability!!!

I'm about to build my second one of the year of the year for a family member as her present one is a XP one circa 2003-2005.

15. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

PC without a doubt.

16. asher

asher So Did We

Followed by having reminding yourself, even if you've done it before, that NO, you are not going to crack the motherboard getting those god damned CPU fan pins snapped in.

17. 13la13la

13la13la Amateur Idiot Contributor

Yeah go for a pc man, I would go as far as saying that steam machines are kind of bad value even?
    I am sure a lot of people are willing to help with selecting parts etc.
    I'd also recommend slapping it together yourself, it's like LEGO ^^

18. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

I'm a PC gamer myself and the one and if you're building a gaming setup, the most expensive component will most likely be your video card. I think I paid about $250 each for my two GTX 660 TI's when they were new. However after a few years I can still run new games pretty well. Lots of people .... on SLI but this is my second setup, had 2x 9800GT's before that and though some games don't take advantage of SLI, I've never had any real problems and in most games get quite a framerate boost. Having two cards doesn't quite double FPS, but in better optimized games, I get a good 180-190% of 1 card FPS.

19. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

PC, without a doubt.

It's so easy to build, maintain and upgrade. Once you also have the parts at your disposal, an upgrade is going to be cheap. Need more memory? Just plop in a new SSHD! Graphic card stalling? Go buy that sweet new one from nvidia! Processor? Well, might as well also upgrade your motherboard as well.

Also, it reaaally helps that it can do other things than just gaming, especially if you want to record music, or maybe need to justify the purchase to your SO. :lol:

20. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Love my Asus rog laptop, plays everything smooth. Imagine the tower versions would be even better.