Build 4 : Ash HS superstrat, now with CNC!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by LiveOVErdrive, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Grand Rabbit

Grand Rabbit SS.org Regular

agreed, this turned out awesome. Blue would be nice, but at the very least do a stain! The grain on that headstock just looks too good to cover up :D If it were mine I would probably do tung oil

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Here's a little teaser as I move forward with finishing. Color is basically done. Shooting clear hopefully tomorrow.

2017-08-28 16.57.05.jpg

Gonna have a chrome bridge and white pickups (a jb and a strat single coil I have lying around). Should look very very 90s fusion cool.

3. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Ok, damnit.... I'm going CNC by the end of the year! The bevels look great under the color.

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  4. LiveOVErdrive

Here it is buffed out. Finish isn't perfect, but I'm definitely getting closer to a good gloss.

2017-09-04 11.35.44.jpg

I did sand through on some of the sharp angles, so I may or may not redo the paint. If I do, I'll add some iridescent medium to the color coat so that the bevels pop a little more.

5. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

Looking tight bud, I did the same on my recent one, few touch ups n manual wire wool & it'll look almost untraceable

Looking as good as factory made! :shred:

6. LiveOVErdrive

Thanks!

No progress here really. I've been putting off buying a nibbler so I can actually install the frets.

But here's a mock-up
    IMG_20170921_082719_1.jpg

KR250 and Mr_Mar10 like this.
  7. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

Tidy bro, tidy :shred:

8. LiveOVErdrive

Good news is I finished my frets. Bad news is they didn't come out great. Worse news is the neck is actually very warped so it probably won't play anyway. Better news is at least j got some practice fretting and learned a few lessons on this neck.

IMG_20171004_191204.jpg

So I need to build a new one. That's good, really. There were some problems with this one that I'd like to fix.

1. Straight radius instead of compound. All things being equal, yes, a compound radius is better, but with a straight radius I can press the frets in neatly and uniformly and end up with less height variation that requires more leveling and general bad fret Ness.
    2. Thinner neck taper. I start at 20mm at the nut like a wizard, but I taper to a full inch at the heel. That's no good. Way too fat in the high frets. Gonna thin that profile up a bit.
    3. Level the frets with a radius block. If I do a straight radius, I can make a big radius block on my cnc machine that runs the full length of the neck. Then I can level my frets uniformly across the whole neck at once and get a perfect board, in theory.
    4. Mask off the board while I'm doing fretwork. I got lazy this time. Which was a mistake.
    5. DONT FINISH ANY MORE GUITARS UNTIL I CAN ROUTINELY GET A PERFECT FINISH ON A TEST PIECE. This has been driving me crazy. I keep getting excited and jumping into finishing early and ending up with sub par finishes. No more! Time to spend some quality time with some scraps and finishes and sandpaper before I even start this new neck (and maybe body).
    6. Cut the fret slots all the way through to the edge. I thought I'd do the fancy bound fretboard style thing where you nibble the tang off the frets at the edge so you don't see the tang at the edge, but I wasn't able to find a good way to nibble the tang off. Clippers bent the fret, a nibbler couldn't get all the way up to the fret. I dunno. For now in just gonna do normal frets until I can build myself a solidly playable guitar. Gotta walk before you can dance.

9. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

For nipping the frets. A dremel with a grinding bit will take care of that. Could also use the fret tang nipper from stewmac

10. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

11. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

I've used an el cheapo diamond cutting wheel from China (10 pcs for a few bucks, and free shipping) and cut the tang directly. Super easy, as long as you don't get overzealous. And those cutting wheels last a damn long time too.