Budget bass for a guitar player

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by capac, Aug 10, 2017.

Which one?

1. MIM jazz bass

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Ibanet SR

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Squier VM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Hey,

I've been playing guitar for quite some time now, but I've never really owned a bass. I think I'll buy a 4 string one. I tune guitar to drop C if that helps...

I want to learn how to play bass so I can actually play it instead of MIDI.

My budget is 500$ (ish - if there's something really worth it, I'm prepared to pay a little more)-

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Quite a few serviceable options under $500. Ibanez SR series are generally good for the money and a great all-around option. A lot of good Schecter and Peavey options in that range. You can probably get a pretty good Squier (especially Classic Vibe stuff) P-bass/Jazz bass or a used Fender. In Europe, the Harley Benton basses are extraordinary value for the money.

3. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm actually in Europe? Is 140eur one any good (harley benton jazz bass) :p?

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Personally I just really dig jazz basses as a good all-around instrument. But if you're tuning down, you might be better served by something with a longer scale length. I usually play in B/standard on a Jazz V, and it's never been a problem.

5. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

Check out Peavey stuff. In that $ range I think they have a 35" available. I got a Millenium for dirt cheap, had it in for a setup and new strings, and am totally happy with it.

6. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Yeah, I though I might need a little longer one (...). Are you sure 34 isn't gonna handle drop C and sometimes low string to A?

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO the difference between 34 and 35 isn't going to make or break the viability of downtuning. But "am I sure"? I'm sure it would be fine for me, because I'm not picky about having high string tension, and I don't downtune much, but it falls on you to decide if it works for you or not. Long story short, go try them. There are Fender and Ibanez basses everywhere.

8. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

I'll second Ted, I would be perfectly comfortable going down to a low A on a 34" bass (and do semi-regularly on my Jazz V).

9. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

Peavey Grind

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

There are so many used Fender basses out there that the used market is super-saturated with them. MiJ, MiM, even MiA will go for under $500. I scored my excellent condition MiJ Fender Aerodyne bass for uhhh either 420 or 480 or something.

11. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Nice. I'll look for one on the used market I guess. The problem is that most people think their gear is worth more than it is... That's why you see 5 years old AM standard J basses for over 1000eur...

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Maaaaaaan one of these popped up recently in some local used ads and I wanted to grab it, but just can't justify it right now haha.

vilk likes this.
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Do you have the option to sit with a couple of basses and try them out somewhere?

One thing from my experience is that, it seems to me, basses vary a lot more in fit and feel than guitars. Everyone has different personal preferences. Some people prefer an Ibanez, some people prefer a Fender, some people prefer a Dingwall... you might find a bass that sounds great but just feels clunky, even if it is well built.

Personally, I like the nice light and wide feel of an LTD/Dean/Ibanez BTB over the more popular narrow-spaced Ibanez SR/Fender Jazz. And any of those short scale basses, like the Gibson EB-0, Fender Broncobass, or whatever, feel too squishy and toy-like to my hands.

14. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Kicking myself for selling mine. Such a great, ballsy bass. Luckily it was to my FIL so I can always buy it back...

15. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I say go used (if possible) for either the Ibanez SR or Fender MiM. The Ibanez is more 'guitar-player' friendly in terms of neck feel but the Fenders are nice as well.

16. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

If you're considering Peavey, I would definitely go for a Cirrus before a Grind. I've seen a few used MIA Cirruses go for $500-$700, and at that price they're unbeatable. Great necks and electronics that are virtually noise-free, which is a plus for the studio. USA Millenniums are also great basses and sometimes go for very cheap.

That said, I voted for MIM Fender. Not superior to the aforementioned Peaveys in any way, but I've had great luck getting Fender basses to sound good across a variety of genres.

17. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Double post

18. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

You really need to try a few out to see what type of string spacing and tone you want. After buying and selling around 6 basses, I finally stuck with an Ibanez SR1006. For you, I think an SR500 or 505, especially with a wenge/buntings neck, would probably work very well. Like AkiraSpectrum said, they are very guitarist friendly. The necks are very comfortable and the string spacing is really nice. I had a 506 and regret getting rid of it, those wenge necks are wonderful.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Thanks! I'll try to find a good deal on Ibby.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

You can usually find old MiJ Soundgears in your price range. Usually they have reverse P/J pickups.

[​IMG]