Brutal black metal mix; feedback please and thank you.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by KailM, Feb 24, 2018.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Hey folks --

I shared this track a while back when it was more in demo form. I've since added vocals and some guitar leads as well as tweaked the mix some. This is just a segment of the song, but pretty representative of what the whole thing sounds like:
    https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/ur-avgrunden-han-stiger-sample-clip

I'd particularly like feedback on the lead guitar sounds and vocals. I played the lead guitar lines a few times which resulted in a "chorus-like" effect, and I'm not sure I like it or not, haha. I might just choose one of the takes and do away with the others to get rid of the chorus-pedal sound. But if you think it sounds good, I might be persuaded to keep it as-is.

The vocals are a bit low in the mix, but not too far off from what I want. I'm not sure simply raising their level is the right approach -- I could use your ears and experience to lend me advice on EQing and compression. It is intentionally a very heavy and dense mix, so it's hard to get the vocals to cut through. Thanks in advance!

2. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

I'm hearing lots of cone filtering in the drums which is scooping out a lot of their attack and midrange, and clashing with the guitars.

3. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I kind of like the Chorus effect that happened, it reminds me a bit of the leads on Catacombs' "In the Depths of R'lyeh", although that's Funeral Doom.
    The vocals are fine for my taste, I think using some light eq to carve a pocket for them out of the guitar and bass may help them stick out more without needing to do much with the volume fader.

I don't know what you're doing with compression/limiting on the master track, but as it stands right now the volume of the mix basically plateaus right after the fade in. When the riff after the build up is really supposed to kick in around :47 it sounds powerless because of the lack of contrast in volume between it and the more sparse instrumentation of the leads.

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I've never heard that term, can you elaborate?

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Oh, I'm probably pushing the compression and limiting too hard, like I usually do. :lol:

That's good that you noticed it though, because I do want that part at :47 to have a noticeable increase in intensity and volume. I still have a little headroom left, but I think I'll approach it by lowering the volume of the earlier parts instead of increasing that part's volume to create more contrast.

I'll play around with the vocal, guitar, and bass EQs and see if I can get the vocals to sit a little better. Good idea. Thanks!

6. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Cone/comb filtering is usually caused on drums when the overheads are out of phase with the close mics, causing certain frequencies to cancel each other out. Its hard to describe, but it sounds like someone took an ice cream scooper and scooped the midrange out of your drums. It can be fixed by finding the problem tracks and reversing the phase polarity.

7. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Back off on the Compressor/Limiter and see if you can get the contrast via adjusting those to more conservative levels and allowing your mix some more dynamic range.

KailM likes this.
  8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Alright -- here's another revision. I went back to the mix and did a few things, most notably reduced the amount of compression on the master fader, but I also EQ'd the vocals and guitars to compliment each other a bit more. I put a little boost on the vocals at around 700 hz to 1khz, and moved a boost in the guitars from 1khz up to around 2khz so they weren't boosted in the same region. I also raised the overall mids in the drums, and added some high-end there. Overall, I think this is a clearer mix, where the instruments and vocals are a bit more distinct from each other. I tried to have a little more dynamics going from the solo to the really heavy/crazy part, but I think Soundcloud compression is limiting that to a certain extent. Let me know what you think -- thanks!

Old Version: https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/ur-avgrunden-han-stiger-sample-clip
    New Version: https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/ur-avgrunden-han-stiger-mix-2

9. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Sounds really great KailM. Old school Black Metal!!!
    This second version is clearer and more balanced.
    Congratulations

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Thanks man! I'm not quite satisfied with it yet, but it's close. I've got a handful of other songs in the works that I've shifted focus to. I can only focus on one for so long before I need a break from it, and that's where this one is at. I have a lot more music in this vein in store for you, haha. Not sure if many people are into this stuff anymore though, at least here on SS.org.

Loco likes this.