Bronies of SS.Org

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Hemi-Powered Drone, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Polythoral

Polythoral Hipster Mustaine

Just want to say, the first few (or several) episodes are pretty bleh. They are definitely rather basic and entirely focused moreso on just being another show to cater to younger people. The show got a lot more depth (or something of the sort) in later episodes.

Also, lawd people be judgmental on everything for senseless reasons.

'ALL PEOPLE WHO ENJOY MLP ARE FURRIES AND PEDOS.'

To the same extent that everyone that listens to metal worships Satan, burns churches, and consumes bat heads, maybe.

[​IMG]

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I didn't say "watched and enjoy," I said obsessed with as in (male) people who refer to themselves as bronies and loudly proclaim their fandom everywhere and make things like this
    [​IMG]

There's some crazy dude on the main forum i go to that has a 50+ page thread that's just a windtunnel of him posting pics of my little pony photoshops and fanarts and it's the scariest thing I've ever seen. So yeah, maybe he ruined the show and tarred all other fans by association, but jesus christ, I can't think of any other show I've seen that provoked such reactions from the dark corners of the internet. It's like if a show starred Lola Bunny and that bat from Sonic the Hedgehog!

3. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I want to stick money in her butt. My very own Pony Bank..

4. Polythoral

Polythoral Hipster Mustaine

I'd be perfectly okay having made this, since it sold for like $800 I think. :lol:

Anyways, there are lots of people who take it too far, and there are lots of people are just straight fucking annoying about it, but I don't necessarily find it wrong for people to make threads in the style of this one on forums and such about it.

It (was) a good way to find people to talk to, play games with, etc., and a means of finding people with at least some sort of common interest. I hear people complain about seeing people wearing pony related shirts in public and such, but what makes it so different than wearing a music related shirt or whatever? You're basically just showing your own interest in something.

Unfortunately, the communities sorta changed though. I'm not one to say it's dead/dying/ruined/whatever, but it's definitely diluted in that there's far less respect, sort of, between people in the community. It's kinda become a habitat of the young, immature dickish type. It's unfortunate.

Nonetheless, it's still an enjoyable show itself, given you get into the later episodes. Also, some of the 'obsession' you talk about isn't so awful, as the huge art related side of the community is wonderful. There is wonderful visual art, music, even games and such, that have come from it and endlessly continue to come from it. It has inspired many people, strange enough. There have also been tons of occasions of wonderful charity-related things done by the fandom (hate that word, but I tire of saying community every time).

Plus, come on, if there was an obsession of the same size in the online world for Doctor Who or Star Trek no one would have an issue, it's just cause it's ponies. :x

Edit: oh, and because I didn't mention it before, your picture of some bronies: I think there's tons of people in the metal community that I'd prefer to not associate with based on their appearance and such even moreso than those guys. olol.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm pretty sure there is. :fawk:

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The difference here is those both have decades of backstory and novels and multiple series and stupid conventions for them and were always directed at nerds of all ages while my little pony is a new show for little girls. Thus crazy obsession from nerds for Star Trek and Doctor Who seems normally nerdy and the latter....doesn't :D

7. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

How do you think fandoms like that got started? Weird guys nerding out over a show not meant that way! Heck, Doctor Who IS a children's show, it really isn't that far off as far as weirdness.

8. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

So then try to start watching the show from Season 2 then? I'm open-minded enough that I really wanna give this a chance. It just came off as too camp for my tastes at first.

9. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

Do you like Star Trek TNG? You may enjoy the Season 2 opening two parter, since it has a character voiced by John De Lancie that is essentially Q.

10. Choop

Choop n______n

I feel like there's always been that sort of element to the community, especially since it kind of snowball-developed on 4chan, and that's really my major problem with it. It's not even that I think the show is BAD (however I do find it kind of boring, and garners maybe more attention than it deserves, for some people maybe even the wrong reasons?).

My ladyfriend is into it so I've seen a few more episodes. I liked Discord, but only because he was basically Q lol. However the plot usually makes me feel like I'm being beaten over the head with whatever idea they're trying to express, it's just super predictable. I dunno. I just can't relate to this show.

The bar for good tv is set really low anymore it feels like. Cartoons are dying for the most part, and crappy teen sitcoms, reality shows, and alien shit on the history channel reign supreme. I guess compared to most everything else, MLP is awesome.

11. abandonist

abandonist Banned

You're goddamn right it does.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I fucking love Modern Marvels. :squint:

13. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

I was wondering if anyone knew why all the threads here on ss.org that attempt to somehow put a positive spin on this particular topic are allowed to remain however all the threads that espouse an opposite opinion are quickly closed... :scratch:

14. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

I kinda dig the show......

15. jeremyb

jeremyb SS.org Regular

How did this get to 10 pages!

16. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Why are people determined to be haters and drag this thread as far off-topic as possible?
    If you don't like the show, just don't click on this thread. I feel like this is one of those things that makes even the most tame, mellow person become a troll. :lol:

17. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

The music is very good for what it is. Still don't get the general hype I'm afraid.

18. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Is this still a thing, or did it die?

19. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

IDK. I still like the show, regardless of hype. Then again, I also watch Phineas and Ferb, and I'm under 20.

20. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

stupid/unfunny late night post

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014