Bronies of SS.Org

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Hemi-Powered Drone, Feb 13, 2012.

1. grey dog

grey dog SS.org Regular

my little pony: FUCK YEAH!

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Probably one of the weirdest fandom's I've come across... :ugh:

As Randy said earlier; It's... okay at best. Nothing special. I never was a fan of Lauren's shows, so maybe that's probably why I don't get it. I grew up on Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and that obscure-ish show Sheep In the Big City. I never liked the PPG's and Foster's Home

But I did read she was an animator for The Iron Giant, so I'll give her that. :lol:

3. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

I'm actually fairly neutral on the whole thing these days. I tried watching the show some more and got bored with it.

4. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

My experience with bronies has been middle aged boys who refuse to grow up and cling onto this show as a way to find women who will show them affection and not pass them by for being 30 with no job or future.

Necrobumpin.

5. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

any girl that will stick around with a a guy despite being 30, having no job, no future AND obsessing over little my little pony is probably a real keeper tbh

edit: more importantly, she'll probably do all sorts of freaky shit for you too

6. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

tbh that was my ex.

Although I am not a brony nor was I ever unemployed, 30+, or deviod of a career/future she was indeed freaky.

XD

7. Somnium

Somnium DEATHGRIPPIN

Thuh Land of Ooo, where fake niggas don't make it
    I dig the show, but I was big into PPG growing up (I can thank PPG and DBZ for my early desensitization towards violence lol) and I enjoyed Foster's as well, so you could say I'm a fan of Faust's work. I just love cartoons though, from Disney to anime, animated programs will always reign supreme in my book.

8. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

Bit of a necrobump....

New brony reporting. I've been totally obsessed with the show for the last couple weeks. Glad to see that there's a thread here for this.

Anybody see the latest episode?

9. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

[​IMG]

To be honest, I'm not much of a cartoon guy (apart from Family Guy), and My Little Pony is no exception. However, what I find annoying about this subculture is the desire to band together over even the slightest similarity (as in here: a show), whatever happened to some good, old-fashioned individualism? Humans are pack animals of course, but the survival of a pack depends on being at least slightly selective in the selection process:lol:
    No, I'm not trying to make you into something you are not, but this mindset is completely foreign to me, and thus slightly intriguing.
    And yes, My Little Pony will always be a children's show (aimed at girls) to me. You might praise qualities that makes you appreciate it, but it feels like a children's show to me, and apparently I'm not alone.
    This is not a judgement on my part, but I think that bronies will have to understand that their subculture is hard to understand for people (or that the need for said subculture is not understood), and that opposition (and/or dislike) is not always related to jelousy (because bronies are too real for us to handle), or insecurities regarding masculinity.

And with regards to earlier post, I have met several CS majors who are hipsters, so saying that hipsters in general lack computer savvy seems a bit sweeping to me.

10. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

My closet cartoon is.......................Ta Daaaaaa!!!!

:hbang:

11. devolutionary

devolutionary No longer 7-less

I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

12. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

Ashleigh Ball's band.(she's the voice of applejack and rainbowdash). Its really awesome indie music.

13. raximkoron

raximkoron SS.org Regular

I saw a lot of memes pop up about it for months on the internet before I started to question why. Seeing some people involved with the show that I remember from past shows I enjoyed sparked me to check it out, even if just ironically at first.

Lauren Faust created the characters and was the executive producer of the first season. To be honest, I'm 30, so a lot of her popular shows (PowerPuff Girls & Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends), I never really paid attention to. But she was involved in The Iron Giant and The Maxx which I enjoyed. More than her though, her husband (Craig McCracken) and his friend (Genndy Tartakovsky) had a hand in a ton of cartoons I watched in my earlier years (Dexters Laboratory, 2 Stupid Dogs, The Critic, etc). Either way, Lauren has stated that her husband had helped her with some writing decisions.

I was already a fan of "slice of life" style shows, a lot but not all of which were Japanese. After I got over the pastel colors, it became a lot more apparent to me that the show was written to not be just a vehicle to sell more toys, but to be genuinely entertaining and it serves that purpose rather well. Growing up watching most of the Disney afternoon shows (Goof Troop, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Tail Spin, etc), I was maybe a bit more accustomed to the idea of non-humanoid characters than some.

So I ended up liking the first few episodes and finished watching the first season while I was mostly bedridden with the flu. I got hooked on the show for a few reasons. Because the show is mostly slice-of-life, they explore the characters quite a bit so they're much more complicated than "I have pink hair and a butterfly on my butt". They also animate the show in Flash, so aesthetically it looks more appealing than most of the CG drivel I see if I wake up too early on a Saturday morning. Additionally, they brought on board a lot of incredibly talented voice actors (Tara Strong, Tabitha St. Germain, Nicole Oliver, even John De Lancie) who give a lot of depth of personality to the characters.

The protagonist was essentially a bookworm for most of her life and was forced to go out in the world and make some friends. It makes her kind of alien and ignorant to a lot of facets of relationships. Because of this, she sends reports to her mentor at the end of episodes about what lesson or moral she had experienced through the episode. It's a little cheesy, but ultimately heartwarming (and mostly lacking in the most recent season).

Since then, I've watched the show when new episodes come out, I've collected a lot of the toys because I like the characters they're associated with (and since my band is on hiatus while we search for a new drummer, I have a lot of extra cash to spend on frivolous stuff).

What I'm not, however, is an evangelist for the show. I don't cram it down people's throats, I'm not overbearing when I talk about it and respect people's differing opinions on the show. Nor do I pay attention to the stacks of electronic music, music videos or fan fiction that crazily obsessed people make.

The only thing that does irritate me is people on the internet who are so violently against things that they must speak out against them whether anyone cares or not. Whether it's MLP or Djent or whatever, it's pretty easy to see that if you're not interested in a topic, just ignore it and move on. Everyone'd be much happier and you'll have much more time to waste on enjoyable hobbies.

14. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Well as I promised a friend, I sat down and tried to watch S1:E1. I was honestly bored more than anything. Then again, I come from the Ren & Stimpy/Rocko's Modern Life/Angry Beavers era of cartoons where childish, obscene humor was king.
    I don't think it's a bad show, it's just not appealing to me.

But I do hate when people have to trash the show and the people that watch it. The only people that weird me out regarding this show are the people that literally have a weird sexual fetish for it. That does make me raise an eyebrow. :lol:
    However, they are a very tiny majority, so it's all good. Enjoy the show peeps!
    Time to go watch some more Angry Beavers. :yesway:

15. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

The majority of people in the fandom are creeped out by those guys, who call themselves cloppers, as well.

16. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

That's okay I didn't need to sleep tonight anyway.

17. vstealth

vstealth SS.org Regular

I dont get it at all, alot of adults watch adventure time and are big fans of the show but dont call them selves adventure timers or anything like that. Why do people who watch my little pony (not all of them) call them selves bronies? Its just weird...

I myself could never watch it, I saw a bit when looking after my little cousins and that + dora explorer was enough to really irritate me. I do watch anime but am very selective when it comes to that, if its not violent then I dont watch it pretty much.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

[​IMG]

19. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I agree with all the people who dismiss people who are obsessed with the show as creepy sad furries and/or pedos, this isn't a show that's even funny/entertaining in a Spongebob/Dexter's Lab sort of way. Adventure Time is comparable to those and actually could hold appeal to non-twisted individuals.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

20. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

And this thread is still 90% bashing.