Brightening up an RG7620

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zender, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

Hi all,

My RG7620 is chronically suffering from being a bit "muddy". I'm not sure as to what pickups are currenlty in there, they're not stock, and I would like to replace them. If I could, I would put in a pair of gravity storms. Those are in my (alder body, maple top, mahogany neck) GR520, and it sounds increadible. If only they made them in sevenstring versions.

I was already looking towards something like Bareknuckle Juggernauts, and somehow Black Winters showed up on the radar as well. I'm mainly a rhythm player, chugging along happily, but do enjoy sidesteps into singing leads with plenty of harmonics. I get my distortion from my amp, I don't need high-output pickups, or things will get to fuzzy. I do enjoy a good fuzz tone at times, but have some excellent pedals for that. :)

Looking forward to your recommendations.

2. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Lots of Juggernaut hate on this board for some reason, but I love them in my baritone.
    Great tracking and low notes cut through the mix very well. They're very crunchy and the upper muds should make things much more present.
    I don't play Djent, rather mostly Arch Enemy and Amon Amarth stuff on this guitar.

3. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Check out the Lundgren M7, you can't go wrong with that pickup. Bright, clear, and very articulate.

oracles likes this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

Besides Pickups, have you though on upping the game on pots? 1Mohm pots do work wonders for dark sounding guitars... and are way cheaper than a new set of pickups.

Lately I've been moving towards Alnico 5 powered pickups and I'm loving them in my 7s. They're also kind of medium wound, so not that much of a High output pickup. I'm not a djentleman, but I believe these will do everything...

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Disconnecting the tone pot is an easy way to add some brightness to any guitar :2c:

I've had loads of pickups in a couple of 7620s and have happily landed on a set of Dimarzio Ionizers for the one I still have. Medium-to-high output, lots of mids, super articulate, and they track low tunings really well. Plus they clean up really well, especially the neck.

6. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

do you like high mids focused or low mids growls...For the tight high mids unforgiven pickup an evo7 is cheap and always a good bet for Ibbys Basswood. Otherwise the titan is a good choice too but not the same flavor, it s has a better grunt, more modern sounding. Evo7 is more a classic metal great for death and leads

7. Zender

After listening to various posts on the tubes. The shortlist is:
    - Lundgren M7
    - Bare Knuckle Juggernaut
    - Bare Knuckle Warpig
    - Seymour Duncan Black WInter.

Am I missing anything?

I will also be overhauling the electronics, including coilsplitting for both pickups using pull-push pots. So need to check which pots are in there right now and maybe find a reason there why it doesn't sound quite right.
    I don't djent btw... I just play low at times, although I keep the standard tuning. Also, this guitar will be used for more than just modern metal, also a bit of ambient works and sevenstring wankery such as Ayreon. I don't mind unforgiving pickups (I use gravity storms after all, can't hide anything from them), and a low-mid growl is very welcome. Note articulation is the thing for me.

8. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

If you are used to gravity storms, hell an Evo might do it and although you said you want lower output, in a darker guitar an X2N can have that low mid grunt, without losing articulation. You can also lower the output on it by wiring parallel.

I've never really found too many Duncan's (still need to try some BWs) that I gel with and BKPs Ive tried never seemed worth the extra cost. But that's just my 2 cents.

9. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Might sound silly, but how about brighter sounding strings?
    Cheap and maybe worth a try.

odibrom likes this.
  10. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

Be carrefull with the Lundgren M7 it s very very abrassive, this thing was created for no one, for the crazy ones...Meshuggah boys used blaze on their 7s and the M8 is designed for the baritone ibby...not at all the same pu

11. Zender

Currently mailing with BKP about the Juggernaut. It might just be what I am looking for indeed.

Still need to find some proper soundclips of these pickups in a basswood ibanez, they're illusive.

12. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

No-load tone pots are a good thing to check out. Alternatively, do something like the Chris Broderick and Misa Mansoor Jacksons and use a push-pull pot to disconnect the tone knob from the circuit when pushed or pulled. That'll brighten things up a bit. Maybe I just hate the idea of tone pots though :lol:.

aesthyrian likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

Warpig will be quite high output and is not what you want. They're a darker voiced pickup that excels in bright guitars. In the wrong guitar they can be boomy and muddy.

Juggs work in bright guitars so long as you can stomach the cocked wah voice of the bridge. The neck is smooth and awesome though. They're a relatively versatile set.

Black winter pummels for rhythm work (so does the lundgren). The neck pickups for both of those sets are good for shreddy fluid leads, though i think the black winter neck is a bit more fluid sounding. The black winter set is a bit more versatile than the lundgrens ime.
    Personally i'd go with a black winter set or an illuminator/liquifire combo.

14. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

I've a set of Juggernauts in an RGD 2127, which has a basswood body and no tone knob.
    They're low mid focused but not extemely dark.
    Tight, articulate and very responsive to picking hand: if you pick lightly they're not so tight, more of a rounder "alnico" type of sound.

Yes, they have that particular cocked wha upper mid voice but it doesn't bother me so much.

Neck pickup is very cool, very smooth and sounds amazing on mid gain tones imho.

15. Zender

So it's probably going to be a set of Juggs. But I am left wondering if these will be "plug-n-play" or if the pickup cavities need to be slightly enlarged in the courners to make the pickups fit. The guitar is one of the first RG7620's (no skunk stripe on the neck). Anyone have experience in shoehorning BKP's in an Rg7620?