Bridge Pickup Recommendations - Grind / Death Metal / Etc.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Mwoit, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Bridge Pickup Recommendations - Grind / Death Metal / Etc.

Hi folks, looking for recommendations for a bridge pickup for grind / death metal.

I play guitar in a grind band (GENDO IKARI - https://gendoikari.bandcamp.com/) and I have a new build coming later this year. It's a custom Kelly shape with mahogany body, maple top and a wenge neck. Fanned with frets (26.5 to 25.5).

I run it through a EVH 5150 III 50W and Zilla Fatboy 2x12 with V30's.

Looked through BKP and ceramic Warpigs sound cool. Any other suggestions?

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

nazgul, black winter, lundgren m6, d-sonic, painkiller. any of those kill for death metal with a mahogany bodied guitar ime.
    If you want a tight growly voice with a bit of grind/grit to it, get a lundgren.
    The nazgul is awesome for chugs and has a cutting upper mid sound that's horrible in bright guitars, but pairs quite nicely with darker sounding ones (it smooths out a bit of the harshness). It has a bit of a harsh nasally vibe in the wrong guitar.
    Black winter is also awesome for chugs but it has more of a grind/snarl to the midrange compared to the nazgul. It's more balanced in terms of eq.
    D-sonic is in the same vein as the black winter but with a hint more snarl in the midrange. The low end is a bit more than the black winter from what i remember.
    Painkillers are great too, provided the guitar isn't too bright. They're pretty abrasive in the upper mids/high end in the wrong guitar. The cleans suck but they're great for chugs/trem picking/pinch harmonics.

C-pig might be too boomy in mahogany. It's great for brighter guitars to fill out the sound, but there's A LOOOOOT of output/low end emanating from that pickup which can muddy the sound.
    I have a pickup shootout thread where I demo most of the aforementioned pickups in an all mahogany baritone.
    http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/6-string-pickup-shootout-no-bull-no-frills.326800/

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Seymour duncan slug. Accept no substitute.

0rimus, Ebony and Zoobiedood like this.
  4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I agree with KightBrolaire about the Warpig. I have one in a fairly bright-sounding DC7X that absolutely slays for death/sludge/core sounds, but the same pickup was a bit bloated in the low end when I had it in my 7620, which is darker and less resonant by comparison.

Is your guitar 6 or 7 strings? In the 7 string camp, I'd check out the Dimarzio Blaze Custom or Ionizer. Both of them have a strong midrange and can get pretty aggressive if you pick hard. The BC is more low-mid focused and gnarly while the Ionizer is shifted a bit higher and is very articulate since its medium-high output. I've only tried the 8 string version, but I feel like the Nazgul would be a good fit as well.

For 6 string options, I'd add the Dimarzio D-Activator to the mix. I haven't tried a D-Sonic, but I've heard nothing but good about it. Same goes for the Black Winters.

5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

BareKnuckle Aftermath set would be great imo but it's VERY much a one-trick pony
    I believe the Fishman Fluence Keith Merrow set would also work great and has a wider range of application

6. fps

fps Kit

Ceramic Warpig is where you're at.

7. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice folks.

This is for a 7 string.

Contrary to what most people are recommending, I actually want something that sounds really dark with less pronounced mids. My other guitar is great for mids (BKP Ceramic Nailbomb) and the 5150 cuts through like there's no tomorrow. In my opinion, lots of modern death metal have crystal clear, machine precision mids guitar tone which is the opposite of what I'm going for.

I have a D Sonic in my 6 string Ibanez S, and I think it's a terrible pickup for what I want. It's got too much of a mids spike and a "quack" that I'm not into.

I've thought about the Fishman but I can't be arsed with active pickups and thinking about the batteries etc. Maybe another guitar that has 2 pickups, I would consider it.

8. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

SD Black Winter : the EQ is balanced but there's hella balls and grind. It's the lovechild of the SH6 Distortion and the SH8 Invader. It's got the grind and the thiccness without the fizz and the mud.
    But if you want darker, go Invader.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Yo! I don't come across people that have tried the SLUG very often. How did you like it?
    Overkill? too bassy? Too hot? not enough clarity?

^^^ Those are my worries

10. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

If it was for a 6 string I'd recommend the Omega Basilisk. It sounds absolutely brutal and it's dark sounding but articulate. I have it in a Jackson Kelly in D standard with an 11-56 set and it's just a wall of sound but with great definition.

For 7 strings I did try a Bareknuckle Blackhawk and really liked it. Again a really dark sounding pickup but super articulate. It has a lot of output and it managed to darken a really bright guitar. It probably is not as brutal as the Warpig though.

11. WearYourWounds666

WearYourWounds666 SS.org Regular

Warpig is pretty cool, but you can pull some sweet death/grind tones out of something cheaper. I did it with a Dimarzio Evo back in the day, and also love the Duncan SH5

12. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

The EVA fanboy in me is loving your material haha.

If you dig the Aborted Goremageden sound, have managed to get close to that tone using Black Winters.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  13. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Black Winters, and if you want it even darker, custom shop Black Winter with an A5 magnet (or buy a BW and flip the magnet yourself).

Killer band name! Definitely checking you guys out. I've been on the same quest for nastier, less mid focused pickups for death metal and grind, not too modern sounding and overly clear/thin/djent etc like. Black Winters have been a big fix, and also going to some medium and vintage output pickups and running more gain.

14. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

I second this. I have a SLUG in Sully 624 that has a mahogany body with mahogany/maple next. The pickup is a beast.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  15. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred PRS Guitar Addict

16. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I have a set of Painkillers (Ceramic) in a mahogany guitar and they are pretty awesome.