breaking strings

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by joshhale7, Oct 12, 2018.

1. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

I was tuning my seven string for the first time today and the strings kept breaking when I was tuning to standard. my guitar came with thick strings so idk if that had something to do with it ? its my first seven and I just got my new tuner today. I don't think its my tuner...

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

.... not much info from you too help. String gauge, bridge type, scale length, age of strings matter...

3. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Is it the same string that breaks? Always in the same spot?

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Did the tuner read the low string as a B or an E?

5. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez Voidist.

It all depends on the gauge. We can't tell much without the gauge lol

6. budda

I dunno, I can tell you tuning a B string to an E is gonna snap it without needing the gauge ;)

AkiraSpectrum and SlamLiguez like this.
  7. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

I was tuning the low string to B as that's what I read was standard online. It wasn't the low string that was breaking it was the E, A and D strings, they didn't break in two but I could feel the strings were getting really tight and they made a weird sound like the string was being stretched apart or something :/ I kept trying to tune but all the strings kept sounding like they were gunna bust out, so I just threw all the strings out incase they ended up snapping on me...I think the string was coming apart by the bridge? I've owned lots of guitars but this is my first seven. pretty sure it has something to do with it being a seven and you guys using weird tunings and bigger strings? never had this problem before. I'm not an expert so ya I get it "none of this makes sense" and you are much cooler than me

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  8. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

How close were the strings to their respective 'intended' pitches before they snapped? If they sounded like they were going to "bust out" it sounds like they are being over-tightened. Maybe the tuner is to blame, misreading the pitches so you're twisting the pegs long past when you should have stopped.

9. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/guitars/js-series-dinky-js22-7-dka-ht/2910131576 its this guitar here....not sure the string gauge. but the strings were breaking because they were too tight so I don't think the age of strings mattered. so im wondering maybe if its my tuner? the strings would be so tight and still saying I need to tighten more

10. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez Voidist.

You probably had a really thick gauge, I'm assuming, these things do matter, the NUMBER of strings don't lol. Well the old strings don't matter now though, if you're tuning to standard BEADGBe just make sure to get a normal set of strings, like the one below. Just a standard set with a low B

Attached Files:

11. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

idk how I would misread pitches. I've been tunings guitars with tuners for a long time. are pitches different on really thick strings? I never intonated the guitar so idk if that could have had anything to do with it

12. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

some strings tuned fine then would go out of tune after I tightened other strings, intonation? its like as I kept tuning all the strings they were good but then one string would need to be tighter and so on and so on ….im not sure how close when they were breaking but I know that some strings were nowhere near standard tuning when they were tight af. my tuner is a boss TU 10 not the best but I wouldn't expect it to be this bad out of the box

13. cwhitey2

Type of bridge?

14. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

so if you have really thick strings you cant tune to standard? I think that's probably it man....even the E string was thick af and felt really different to play from the standard 6 string

15. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

HT7 bridge string through

16. cwhitey2

Im thinking its your actual guitar tuner

17. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I don't mean different pitches, but what I mean is that with some tuners you kind of have to sit on a note a for bit for it to get you an accurate reading of the pitch. If you're relying on a tuner while stringing-up, if the tuner is slow or inaccurate it could be causing the problem. New strings also start stretching when you install them which can also throw the tuner off.

Usually when I restring, I'll grab an open A off of another guitar and tune to match (and then tune the other strings relative), then I'll stretch the strings, and then I'll use a tuner for accuracy.

18. budda

Did the string actually unravel or did you just worry it was about to?

If it was pinging, your nut needs to be slotted better.

Buy a 7-string set from a known brand and see how it goes.

19. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

This is a dumb question, but are you sure you're not tuning an octave high?