Bowed neck - can I fix this - limited knowledge & tools

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jonajon91, Apr 6, 2013.

1. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

The point of this is can I fix this?

My newest bass is a Marleaux Consat Custom 6 that I got second hand from Bass direct in Warwic England. I have recently noticed that the highest two string have some buzz at the bridge and that some of the frets buzz a fair bit. I took it to both my local guitar places and one place said it needed all the frets re-leveling (I got scared and left) and the other said that the neck had bowed and gave me a number of someone that could fix it. The only problem is that the good friend called funding ran away so I cant afford someone to look at it. (something tells me I should not celebrate having money by buying a new bass :nono::fawk:)
    So I ask if there is an easy fix for this. My best guess is that the string tension has pulled the neck in a little so I need to turn the truss rod a little bit. I need a hand from you guys as to; which way, how much and how. I took a few pictures of the problem in case I going about this the wrong way. I would love to be able to do it before the 27th of this month (three weeks) because I have a bass recital then.
    I also cant stress enough how little I know about truss rods

The pictures show
    1) the bend in the neck, It is very slight and you really have to look to see it.
    2) Showing what frets buzz (orange line is the 12th fret)
    3) picture of the fret board and how it has twisted a little
    4) pretty much the same picture
    5) picture of the truss rod (probably not needed)

Attached Files:

2. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

I don't think there's too much wrong with it so don't panic a slight bend is normal and called relief. Most guitars could benefit from a good fret dress and level its not drastic it involves shaving off a tiny bit of metal off high frets and its essential to achieving a low action. i have it done on all my guitars. Someone who knows what he is doing will be able to straighten the neck and dress the frets without difficulty.

Honestly I'd get a pro to do a full setup and fret dress you will be astounded by the difference i always say its the most (cost)effective mod you can do on a guitar.

I'm all for having a go at things like truss rod adjustment yourself but i'd hesitate to have my first go on a bass like that. wait till you can afford to have it done by a pro

3. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Best thing I could hear right now.
    Other than that thanks for the advice. Ill have to get some money from somewhere and it done. Cheers

4. Suitable

Suitable SS.org Regular

That twist looks to me like its exagerated by the string thickness (Ie mega thick to mega thin bass strings) and I would try adjusting the truss rod. Only a quarter of a turn clockwise at a time to flatten the neck from string tenstion bow with the correct sized allen key, then re tune the guitar as it should go sharp after adjusting. Have a look down the neck once its back in tune again to see how it has improved and keep adjusting like this (maximum quarter turn at a time! you can go less if thats all it needs...) till its straight and in tune. Then if its still buzzing once the neck is straight you can adjust the bridge saddle heights buy using feeler guages between the top of the last fret and the bottom of each string. These usually require small allen keys to adjust, so for around $10-$20 for allen keys and feeler gauges you'll be able to get it playable until you can afford a re dress and set up. Just remember small adjustments working your way to getting it straight and you wont damage a thing. Good luck!

5. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Thanks for all the help. I will try turning the truss rod tiny amounts, but if it is not looking good or im not confident enough, I will ring the guy to get it sorted.

6. Albionic

Good luck let us know how it works out. just one tip keep a note of how far you have turned the key so you can go back to where you started if it doesn't work out.

7. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Right. I think I will be turning it in 8ths or smaller
    :) wish me luck

8. Albionic

good luck and remember if it wont turn don't force it :)

9. crazygtr

crazygtr SS.org Regular

Remember to detune the bass for every turn of the rod, also you can help the rod with a little push of the neck while you adjust. after you get the neck straight, ( slight relief) you can raise the saddles a little and this will take care of the buzz at the high register.

10. Navid

Navid Chicken Kicker

I don't think it can be repaired, you could send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you though...

11. Suitable

Suitable SS.org Regular

Dont lack confidence in doing this! Every guitar player should learn how to do this, it is the simplest thing to do and its extremely hard to get it wrong. If you go too far and start getting back bow youve only gone a quarter turn so go anti-clockwise a tiny bit to get it right. Simple as :D Just take your time, relax and enjoy seting it up! Judging by those pics, you will need too adjust the saddle heights, also very easy to do! Im sure youll be amazed at what you have acomplished after doing this. And being a quality bass from factory i would boubt it would even need a re dress after doing this (but a fret dress and polish never hurts). Have fun doing it and dont stress too much on the truss rod adjustment, you would have to be pretty stupid to fuck something like that up :lol:

Give us your results when youve done it, if your in need of help during the process, just ask! Theres a whole heap of knowledge on this site that can get you through pretty much any guitar related obstical! Plus when you do it your self its a 'fuck yeah I did it!' feeling. :hbang:

12. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Great. Im going to give it a shot tomorrow during the day. Really thankful for the help :D

13. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Is it a one piece or a laminate neck? and do you know what kind of wood it is?

14. Gregori

Gregori SS.org Regular

No, don't do this. It makes absolutely no sense and can only make things more difficult. There is no benefit to detuning the strings for truss rod adjustments.

15. crazygtr

crazygtr SS.org Regular

Are you serious?

16. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

What would be the point in loosening the tension that adjusting for less relief would fix?

17. crazygtr

crazygtr SS.org Regular

18. Gregori

Gregori SS.org Regular

Didn't realize a bass was different than a regular guitar.

19. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

Adjusting the truss rod results in a different level of tension on the strings, i.e. tightening the truss rod pulls the strings slightly sharp. It's the same reason you can't just tune each string on a guitar with a trem once and call it good; tuning one string up pulls on the bridge, so the other strings slack a little. You have to find the balance.

20. Suitable

Suitable SS.org Regular

That is a complete crock of shit!

Firstly, you only adjust the truss rod a maximum of a 1/4 at a time. This moves it SLIGHTLY sharp, not even near a full note sharp! It won't put harmful stress on your neck buy tightening it that much! Detuning before hand means your neck is going back and forth back forth a lot more that it should mean MORE stress on the neck. No need for this.
    Second. That intonation dribble would take a million times longer than just doing it the right way first, which in their case you'll have to do this anyway after spending hours of fu()ing around with rulers and gauges etc...

Yeah fender want to sound like there the be all and end all, but all that is a load of rubbish and their not... :fawk::lol: