Bought Guitar from Online Store - Stuck in 'In Transit'

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by b7string, Oct 30, 2017.

1. b7string

b7string SS.org Regular

Anyone had this happen before? Bought a used Martin HD28 from a reputable online dealer, who, for the sake of not raising a stir over potentially nothing, will remain nameless for now.

They shipped through USPS and provided tracking, and all it has said for 5 days now is that it is "in transit". It worries me a little as it is an international order, worth a few $ as well, and I am also just a bit concerned about the CITES paperwork as it of course has Indian rosewood back and sides. I brought up the CITES issue to the shipper prior to ordering and I was assured it would be no issue, but I'm sure neither myself nor the seller wants to have this thing lost in the mail, regardless of the resolution.

I have not contacted the seller yet. Am I concerned over nothing? Anyone experienced this before?

Cheers,
    Brian

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Happened to me the last time I shipped something via USPS...and, I think the time before that as well, IIRC.

Once I tried to ship something across the US/AB border (I was in Calgary at the time); I waited two weeks, and then left the country with the item still sitting in customs. It was a piece of test equipment and had all of the necessary paperwork, just not written in language the customs officers could understand, I guess, so overnight shipping became 15+ day shipping.

Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. It seems there are more and more ways that you don't anymore. Hopefully this gets sorted quickly. If not, try calling USPS and see what they have to say about it.

b7string likes this.
  3. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Well anything with Rosewood will have an Issue... the issue of filling paperwork to get it through Customs.

Be prepared for it and start investigating on what you have to do.

b7string likes this.
  4. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I would start with calling the post office it would be delivered to and ask them. They could probably make a phone call and see whats up. I mean, you get tracking for a reason, and being dicked around and left in the dark isn't one of them. You guys paid for the service, tell them to actually give you the service you paid for.

bostjan and b7string like this.
  5. b7string

b7string SS.org Regular

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not super worried yet as it's still within the quoted delivery time-frame... so it could even be a missed scan at this point, but it has me nervous still. I'll get in touch with USPS for sure if I don't hear anything by next week. At least despite the delays, yours made it through so hopefully mine will too :)

I'm well versed in the requirements for US/Canada transactions involving Indian Rosewood, in my case there are no import forms required, but there is a form that the shipper must fill out from US Fish/Wildlife, which as I am the buyer is not really my responsibility. It is the responsibility of the shipper to ensure that the proper export forms along with the shipping manifest are filled out properly, which unfortunately is beyond my control. All I can do is hope that he did it right, or that in the off chance he didn't, that it manages to slip through the cracks (which is unlikely). I did bring it to his attention prior to ordering, and they confirmed it would be no problem, so it's not like they can play dumb either. I was thinking though that it might delay the import process which could be a contributing factor.

6. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Personally I would start by thinking evil thoughts. Then I'd call around.

Once I was trying to ship something to Portugal and had to call Fedex about 20 times over two weeks to get it through customs. At each new call/day of delay some new surprise requirement or form came up.

b7string likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

im in the exact same situation only neither courier or customs can tell me where my guitar is and what happened since it appears to have vanished since the 27th of October after apparently being released by customs.

The courier are adamant its been seized and customs are adamant it hasnt been seized

if it has been seized i cant understand why and the only thing I can think is someone at customs thought the Ebony fretboard, was infact rosewood?. Which would not surprise me as some of these "workers" seem like complete idiots. But until i hear from someone or get an update it will remain a mystery. It is not a chibson or anything like that and has no forged company names or anything.

Logically it does not make sense to seize it unless its what ive said.

8. b7string

b7string SS.org Regular

Sorry to hear that! I hope it resolves itself, after 4 days of no activity mine magically started getting tracked again and it did make it across the border after all. Hopefully your situation ends in a similar fashion!

lewis likes this.