Boss NS-2

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by cronux, Mar 24, 2010.

1. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

Ease of Use: extremely easy to use, only 3 knobs

Features: as I said, only 3 knobs: threshold, decay and reduction/mute

threshold - governs the amount of reduction you want, more threshold gives you more noise reduction

decay - an interesting know, it lets you to handle the amount of sound you want to come out of your amp after the reduction, so after the desired setting on the reduction knob, you can deside how much of that palm mute chunk will come out after you stop playing (at least that's how I see it :) ) but if you have to much gain and need to use a s*** lot of reduction, even a slight decay can send your amp squeeeeelin' (but not in a good way) - less is more :metal:

reduction/mute - pretty much says it like it is, on reduction you get reduction, on mute you get mute :)

Reliability: just bought it a couple of days ago... but it's a BOSS... a tank :hbang:

Value: bought a used one, payed 4 it about 65$

Customer Support: n/a

Expressiveness/Sounds: this pedal is...WOW

i use a COW 7 string, through a Randall RG150 DG3 with matching cab...

guitar->wah->NS2->amp

in the fx loop i have a BOSS CH-1 and a Behringer FX-600

As soon as I plugged in into the NS2 and started playing I was blown away as what this little pedal did to my sound... it took away all the unwanted squeelin' and gave me some compression on top of that. The sound is chunky and meshuggah like with tons of sustain. Now you have a couple of options on how to use the NS-2 in your rig (how to connect it). I think I saw a thread that explains it very well, the way that I have it plugged in is the simplest and I had no problems with it. On the clean channel the sound stayed the same, I really didn't notice any difference (but then again, I really don't use clean that much).

This baby comes to fruition on the gain channel (or if you're using a distortion pedal)... It eliminates unwanted noise and gives you a little bit of compression on top. The chunk sounds sweet, precise and gives you the feeling that you are in charge of your rig, not the other way around :metal:

It "colors" your sound a bit, but in a good way (at least for me). I would recommend it to anyone that wants the precise distortion sound out of it's rig, for uber tight riffing and for that chunk the chunk the chunk :D

mind you :imnew: so if I left anything out look kindley at it :), anything you want to add leave a comment below

2. Ill-Gotten James

Ill-Gotten James SS.org Regular

I currently am using NS-2 in my pedal chain to kill feedback from my wha and overdrive pedal. It works fine and is certainly worth the money if you can pick one up used for $60> USD. Personally, the ISP Decimator puts it to shame in my opinion, but the NS-2 can do the job well, and is decently priced. I play in a band with metalcore influences, example; the stop-start chug rhythms, and the NS-2 gets the job done flawlessly.

3. K-Roll

K-Roll SS.org Regular

I personally do not think it works that good. When used between guitar and amp input to kill feedback I can definitely say that the level of hum or buzz increases you can hear the schhhhhhh in the cab being louder when engaged. And its not only mine but my friend's as well and some other guys already mentioned the same on our local country forum.
    Next complaint- when I set it to work just as it should be on the lead channel to kill the feedback and then switch over to my clean channel, my clean channel does not work ok cause it gets killed by the NS even on higher channel volume settings (mesa mark 4).
    So i am in search for replacement and I've been considering to use the ISP in front of the amp and the NS2 in amp loop just to minimize the cab noise if possible.

4. Origin

Origin Rainbow In The Dark

Works great for me, love it :wub: good review, got mine cheap too haha.

5. Gemmeadia

Gemmeadia SS.org Regular

This pedal worked outstanding for me when i played live! Super snappy cutout while preserving the tone. I always recommend this to everyone.

6. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

You can "cross wire" this so it is placed both between the guitar and amp AND in the effects loop. Of course, this means you might need to get a little more fiddly with the controls, but for metal with a bunch of hard stops its pretty alright if you can't afford a ProRackG.

It goes like this:
    Guitar -> NS-2 input.
    NS-2 send -> Amp input.
    Effects loop send -> NS-2 return.
    NS-2 output -> effects loop return.

Tried it on a couple of setups and it works, but of course it's far from ideal for everybody. It takes care of lots of the high-gain channel hiss on both my Laney and my friend's Bugera 6262, and also on 5150s, etc.

7. TaylorMacPhail

TaylorMacPhail Heisenberg

It might just be something I am doing wrong but I got mine for christmas and don't really see a difference between when it's engaged or not. I cranked up the volume, did a lot of stop-start riffs and such, and didn't really become satisfied. Any suggestions, because this pedal isn't cheap :(

8. sell2792

sell2792 Back from the Dead

Have you messed with the settings? Plus, it only really helps if your amp is noisy.

9. TaylorMacPhail

TaylorMacPhail Heisenberg

Yah man I messed around with it a lot and my settings on my amp were really noisey, and since my pedal didn't help, I just turned down the gain and the presence and now my channel hardly makes any noise when cranked with my band...guess I might as well sell the pedal now lol

10. Now get brutal

Now get brutal SS.org Regular

I just bought one of these boys a month ago. It was been working WONDERS for me! I have no problem with it "eating" my tone or down-playing my distortion. I would recommend to anyone.

11. stevemcqueen

stevemcqueen Namby Pamby

Honestly all it really did for me was get rid of feedback. I can't really complain though because I picked it up off my friend for $20.

12. clockworksam

clockworksam Atmosphere Geek

Running my TS9DX through the send/return on this pedal sounds really tight, I really like that function.

13. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

i'm in love with mine great pedal

14. Drowning Arizona

Drowning Arizona SS.org Regular

I personally feel like this pedal is a waste for me when i bought mine i noticed that the signal would cut out the top end of the distortion and really round it out my solution was the ISP Decimater cost me 30 bucks more but it is seamless and very effective