BOSS MS-3: Multi-Effects Unit/ 3 Loop Switcher/ MIDI Controller

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Ludgate, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Ludgate

Ludgate SS.org Regular

I think this is pretty cool. Been in the market for a third-party MIDI controller for my Kemper since the Remote is always out of stock. Also appeals to the habitual pedalboard tweaker in me. What do you guys think?

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ms-3/features/

EDIT:
    Hmm, pricing seems to vary depending on where you look.
    41500 JPY (380 USD) - ikebe-gakki.com
    699 AUD (520 USD) - bettermusic.com.au

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I just saw the video too and seems like a cool idea for a specific purpose.

BTW if you want is MIDI, then you can go with the ES-5 or ES-8. Both have MIDI and more footswitches and more loops for more pedals. The ES-5 would be the same price as this MS-3

The difference between those and this one, is that both ES-5(8) are routing only. They control the loops and your amp channels switching only. The new MS-3 does te same but it has built-in effects. Maybe same technology as the Katana amps?. Not sure how much those built-in FXs would differ from their own stomp pedals?

But Its pretty cool little thing IF you have an amp. So you can control your amp switching, and have a mini multi-FX, so in reality you only need couple of pedals that you cant live without. Like a special distorsion pedal or something unique like that. All the chorus, reverb, delay, just use the on-board stuff. In my case I keep it simple so I know I would have my main 3-4 sounds, so this would be great IF I had an amp

If you are looking for a multiFX board solution thing, this might not be for you. I though about maybe selling my Line6 Firehawk and use my computer with an Amplitube thing and use this pedal for FXs and MIDI to control my computer (as I need money). But the price is the same-ish as my Firehawk, so no point at all for me to do so when I get more out of my board.

Pretty cool either way

3. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

I am very interested in this.

EDIT: Actually, how would one send effects to your amp FX loop with this?

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I realize about that too

[​IMG]

I guess they didnt though about that one. Its more of a switching system with bonus built-in FXs, but not 4 cable method. Maybe if they do good they might do on a bigger version?

5. Ludgate

Ludgate SS.org Regular

That is a great observation. You're probably right about a bigger version in the works as well, maybe a MS-5 with amp effects loop send/return?

Probably just a bad case of GAS, but I'm still pretty interested despite its front-of-amp limitations. 112 classic BOSS effects plus 3 loops of my favorite pedal/ pedal combinations in front, then have the Kemper's built-in FXs in the loop.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The TC G-System finally getting some competition?

7. Ludgate

Ludgate SS.org Regular

Wow I forgot that exists. The G-System wins in terms of looks, hands down.

But for half the price, half the size and around 4 times more effects, I'ld say the MS-3 is pretty strong competition.

8. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

I'm getting one of these. I asked the product manager of Boss a few questions.

You can do four cable method with this. You simply use Loop 3 as your effects return/send. Easy to setup.

You can have up to six effects, in any order, before or after Loop 1, 2 and 3.

The placement of Loop 1, 2 and 3 are fixed. You can't put things inbetween them. They believe most people will use these for their favourite overdrives etc.

The screen/effects are the same as the GT-1.

I'm getting this purely for the multi effects functionality. I currently use micro pedals and want to do the four cable method. This way I can still retain the small pedalboard, whilst using Boss quality effects instead of cheap chinese copies.

Win/Win in my eyes.

PBGas likes this.
  9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

but can you do 4 cable method with the TC G-System?.

by that price you can have the fractal FX-8, which is designed to be a 4 cable method fx unit with amp switching control. Or just get the new Helix LT. You might have a pretty cool overdrive pedal, but having the amp sim on the Helix would beat it imo. Unless you havea really specific unique pedal that cant be done with the board, which you can still have one extra loop in the board for it. Plus you have more amps if you fancy something different

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

so how would you connect everything? from the loop3 send -> amp in__ FXloop send -> loop 3 return__MS3 main out -> ampFX return ?

so in a way its always on, you jsut decide when to put FXs after the loop3 in the signal chain

11. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

I think so, yeah. I was shown a quick video, that sounds exactly right.

12. StrmRidr

If 4CM works with this then this is pretty cool.

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah it makes sense. Like its not designed for that, but you can make it work kinda way. Which its pretty cool, it limits you to only have 2 loops for pedals, but it might be jsut what you need then.

I also just realize that I could do exactly the same with my Firehawk board too. But I wont have any amp switching. But still its a pretty cool idea to know if in a future I decide to buy an amp I could keep my board and use it like that instead of buying new pedals. I just need to switch the amp channels separately. Unless I keep the amp on the dirt channel and only use the clean on my board trough the fx loop (plus a gate in front of the amp to kill the gain noise).... mmm interesting

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so i can do patch switching for my kemper, plus add effects pre and post kemper and control any pedals on the pedalboard using midi (like whammy etc?) at the same time?

Is that right because if it can do all that i want one asap

15. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Yeah, you'd just put your Kemper in the 3rd loop. I'll try it with an amp as soon as my shop gets them.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh my!

Thats awesome. Im going to have to add this to the "Gas" list!

17. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Probably can do 4CM, but I bet you have to use one of the Loops.

18. StrmRidr

Yes I believe that is the case. Since you can't re-order loops 1-2-3 in the unit, I would use loop 3 for the 4CM, then whichever effects you include after loop 3 should technically be in your amps FX loop. It is a nice unit and the price appears to be more than reasonable. I'm still thinking of going with the Helix LT simply because it is basically an entire rig in itself but for the price the MS-3 certainly is attractive.

19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yup, that would probably work.

Guitar to MS-3 Input
    MS-3 Loop 3 (or whichever you choose) Send to Amp Input
    Amp FX Send to MS-3 Loop 3 Return
    MS-3 Output to Amp FX Return

20. StrmRidr

You can even use loop 2 and include an external pedal that you want in the amp's FX loop in loop #3.