Boss MS-3 Multi Effects Switcher

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by xCaptainx, Jun 16, 2017.

1. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Starting a review thread for this as I just got an hour ago.

First impressions.

UI is easy to navigate.

Build is VERY solid. Very confident having this on stage.

Effects sound dope.

Spent most of my time on clean channel playing with the pre sets. A lot of nice sounding fuzz presets I'm going to experiment with + delays.

I bought this specifically for a mini effects unit with high quality effects.

I replaced an entire Hotone mini pedal board and intend to use the four cable method with loop 3 for full effects routing.

Overall I am stoked. I went from multi effects to digital, back to mini heads + mini boards. Stoked to go back to multi effects but with a MUCH smaller footprint as that's my vibe nowadays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nerdywhale

nerdywhale SS.org Regular

Thanks, Ross. Keen to hear more thoughts as time goes on!

I was looking at the ES-5 for a long time, then this popped up and went to the top of the list.

Can you have a reverb or delay in FX1 pre-loops? Or can you route each block I any order - eg. Loop 2 > Loop 1 > Loop3?

3. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Alright so spent a fair bit of time with this over the weekend.

Loop 1 to 3 are in a fixed position. Whilst you can have any number of the 6 effects before or after, you can not have effects inbetween. Boss have stated that they believe most users will want to use Overdrive/Fuzz/distortion pedals here, as users generally have extremely personal preferences with their OD and truth be told, the in built effects are extremely high quality anyway.

You can have the remaining 6 effects blocks in any order you want, before or after the loops.

The 4CM is extremely easy to do, you simply use loop 3. I spent the weekend using the 4CM with my 6505MH head.

Overall I am extremely happy with this. The pre sets are nice for providing ideas and general 'this is how to get this sound' tips and guidance.

I'm going to be using it in 'manual mode' which will allow me to assign effect parameters to the footswitch pedals. I set up a nice lead delay/reverb which is assigned to FS2. You can also assign CNTRL 1/2 to a footswitch also, so I'll be using it for channel switching once my TRS cable arrives for the 4CM snake I'm building.

This is smaller than the Hotone board I was using, and much, much more functional.

nerdywhale and PBGas like this.
  4. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

My apologies, the images aren't working.

Here we go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Thank you! Thank You and Thank You again for verifying that 4CM will work with this. Super happy! Mine should be in this week up here so I am pretty excited to get it.

Can't wait!

6. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

No prob! One of the crew at Boss Australia is a regular on an NZ Guitar forum, he put up a video of himself using the four cable method shortly after the announcement, as it was our #1 question.

Very excited to get into this much more. I've been a one trick rhythm pony for quite some time but looking forward to expanding my palette and playing style a bit more with some interesting tones and effects going on!

PBGas and nerdywhale like this.
  7. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Sorry I'm having a bit of issues with imgur. Will try these links instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JD27, 0rimus, FILTHnFEAR and 3 others like this.
  8. nerdywhale

Tidy rig!

9. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

I'm pretty excited about this piece of gear. I've got a LOT of pedals and I think that integrating the MS-3 with an ES-8 would probably be the most effective way to manage that mess.

10. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

Awesome to hear that the 4CM works well with this unit. I may have to reconsider.

11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

That's a nice clean setup.

12. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Im wondering how this would work with a bass in a bass rig/pedalboard with a couple of pedals in the loops like a MXR Compressor and a couple of dirt pedals.

With a Phil Jones Bass Double Four and a wah pedal and its pretty much everything id need for bass.

13. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Thanks guys! Love my setup. Covers all the bases now, which I'm stoked on. 6505MH for the metal, Classic 20w for everything else.

This would work very well for bass, it has 28 bass effects to choose from I think.

10 min 30 onwards is the creation of a bass patch, with a near identical setup you suggested ESPImperium.

14. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Just picked mine up! Going to have some fun this weekend setting things up!

xCaptainx likes this.
  15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

how many effects do you need for a bass appart from what you already have, or better said how many do you actually would use :nuts:

ESPImperium likes this.
  16. nerdywhale

How many effects do you need for guitar? That's how many they need for bass. :yesway:

MattThePenguin and ESPImperium like this.
  17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

far from truth. Depending on the music style you can go fully nuts with guitar effects and different parameters per each effects and combinations of them. But on a bass?. I get having some dirt for some styles and having a compressor always is good (both already own by the guy I quoted from), would you need a chorus or a flanger on a bass? or reverb?, delay? (maaaaybe for one ambiental song). I know everyone plays different, I have been playing bass for 17 years in whole different styles, yet I still dont own any pedal. I would love a compressor but thats it. At one point early I bough a digitech BP8 pedal board. it didnt last me a year before I stopped using it because I didnt really use it

also my question is more because this pedal is aimed so you can control your amp channel switching with it. Thing a bass doesnt have either.

Nothing wrong here, if he wants to go for it then go for it, just genuinely curious as how many effects he uses/needs. Not that this cant be used with a bass, but the biggest more used effects on a bass, he already owns them or hes planning to buy them separately. So at the end is like buying $$$ this board for one FX for that one song

nerdywhale likes this.
  18. nerdywhale

I'm sure you didn't mean to (as you said, you know everyone plays different) but your post read like there is only one way to play bass, that everyone plays bass that same way, and ESPimperium is nuts :nuts: for wanting the Boss unit for bass. Even though it is being marketed as a unit for bass as much as it is as a unit for guitar.

This post also paints a similar picture.

It's music. Art, if you will. Words like "true" and "false" don't apply. Unless you're a Manowar fan. :hbang:

Absolutely, depending on the music style, you CAN go fully nuts with bass effects and different parameters per effect, and combinations of them too! Of course you'd need chorus or a flanger on a bass. Why not? Reverb? Yup. Delay? Sure! Does one need these effects for guitar even? No. Does one want them? YES. GIMME. They're fun. Fun on bass too!

I think it's cool that your playing doesn't need or want effects too. A pure, clean bass sound is a thing of beauty, but so is fcking it up with effects! :)

Lots of bass amps have channel switching. My Thunderverb 200 does. If yours doesn't that's cool too! Imagine you used a preamp pedal in one of the loops, and it has some sort of remote switching - be it an OD channel, a bass boost, tone stack defeat (I'm not too savvy with what features bass preamps would have) - you could use the Boss unit to trigger that along with other effects! Sweet! Makes this unit even more attractive.

You're right, there's nothing wrong here. This unit is one of the more interesting things I've seen (YMMV) in a while. Flexibility, sounds, size... Boss deserves a high-five. And I'm curious as to how many effects ESPimperium uses on bass. Must be pretty cool. Not nuts. At all. Maybe in a good way. Not an emoji way.

Are you excited about this unit? I am! :D

19. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

MXR Bass Compressor, Boss ODB-3, MXR Bass Fuzz, Dunlop Bass Wah and run the onboard octaver and sometimes a delay, or reverb from inside the Boss unit and have a DI to split the signal to a bass amp and PA if you are playing live and it would pretty much be what i need.

Im not interested in any amp sims (if they are on this thing) but am interested in many of the effects.

20. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

My long TRS cable arrived a few days ago, so now have a 4CM snake + TRS included for channel switching with the MS-3.

Quite simple to set up multiple controls to a single footswitch. I'm using manual mode so that the footswitches can be assigned to control parameters within the patch itself, and do not control patch switching within the bank.

FS1 switches to my 6505MH clean channel + turns on reverb effect.

Going to set this up some more to give me four different effects 'scenes' within my patch, much like I used to with Axe Fx and HD500 to allow my delay trails to continue after switching effects within the patch.

Was pretty easy to set up and I'm really enjoying this pedal!

0rimus and nerdywhale like this.