Boss Katana 100 vs Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 212?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Reignerrr, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

I have the oportunity to get the 212 (new) much cheaper, at the same price than Katana 100, so what do you think? for playing metal it is a good purchase?

2. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Nope. Katana is way better than Spider II

3. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

seriously? but the spider costs almost the same than buying 2 katanas

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Price =/= Tone

budda and Wolfhorsky like this.
  5. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

But the Spider Valve has more Valves and toobz == toanz.

But seriously: The SV was a digital front end with Bogner designed all tube power amp. People here, most who have probably not even seen or played a Spider Valve, which is an older and much different product than the current or any other 'Spider' (I know I haven't), are going to see 'spider' and dismiss it. For example the poster above says 'Spider II' which is an entirely different product.

I wonder how it compares to a Kat to the open minded, though. Just because it says 'Spider' in the name may not be an excuse for automatic dismissal in this case. The Katana seems quite overrated to me...

You could always run something into the FX return of the Spider and use it as a tube power platform, I would think. The speakers on that 212 were real Celestion V30's too. If I had one, I'd run a Fractal or Helix straight into the FX return... 40W of Bogner 6L6 power into a V30 2x12. Sounds like a lot to love even if you are not head over heels with the preamp. I would probably have more long term use for something like that than a Katana which is yet another almost good SS amp.

Line 6 was dumb to name that product 'Spider' anything.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Mathemagician likes this.
  6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I've seen those Spider/Bogner Valve sereies in action, they were pretty brutal, in a good way, they were released when the whole metalcore thing was all the rage back in like 2007/2008 and weren't bad, there were a lot less viable options then, however either way they held their own.

Either way you get an excellent tube power section and good speakers, and it's way cooler than a Katana, if you don't like it it should be easy to unload it and get the Katana, I would go for the Line 6, plus since its older gen the floorboard controller for it should be able to be found fairly cheap instead of the stupid high prices they charged back then.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The Spider Valve is by no means a bad amp when dialed in and retubed, but the Katana is just better, which shouldn't be all that surprising since the Spider Valve is over a decade old, with XT series models that are even older.

Plus the "Bogner" tube power section is absolutely nothing to write home about. It's stiff, cold and fairly flat. It works in the context of the SV, to a point, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a tube power section to base a rig around.

The DT series was a significant upgrade.

I've been a Spider defender for years, so it's not just e-h8.

budda likes this.
  8. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I’ve owned the Spider Valve. It’s just alright. It’s capcable of decent tones, but it’s definitely a step backwards in terms of where digital modeller is at today.

Yes, the SV has tubes, but the digital front of the amp, where you get all your tone is outdated, and that’s what matters.

The Katana is absolutely going to be a better choice in nearly every respect.

9. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I had Spode Valve for years. It was very heavy to carry around. And it got easily lost in the mix/ band context. The gain had that squeeling thing to it. The feedback was difficult to control in live scenatio. Katana is way better, but it really is acceptable for me with external distortion pedals.