Born In Dissonance - Meshuggah (Instrumental cover) - Mix critic plz

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by OliOliver, Nov 3, 2018.

1. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Spent the past couple weeks working on a cover recording of this fairly small band called Meshuggah, you guys probably haven't heard of them but I feel they have potential to really make an impact one day. Crazy grooves and nutty leads. Speaking of leads, I didn't do the tappy solo because I spent an entire week memorising the nonsense and attempting to track it and just could not make it sound as good as I wanted, even if I did manage to remember what notes to hit. I ran out of patience, so I filled the gap with a small ambient guitar part. It'll do I guess.

Linky dinky

First 8 string song I've recorded as well the first song in a few years recorded with the ENGL Invader 100 as I managed to get my hands on one again. Love that amp!

Let me know what you guys think, where the mix can improve etc. Thanks!

prlgmnr likes this.
  2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I think that sounds great, maybe a bit much cymbal hash going on in parts but I'm feeling suitably crushed at the moments I should feel crushed.

3. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Thanks, man! What do you mean by cymbal hash, though?

4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

It might just be my personal preference but it just feels like there's a lot of sizzling top end from the cymbals a lot of the time, but I've just checked and the original isn't massively different in that respect - I do think they're pushed back and maybe have the tails trimmed a touch when the vocals come in.

5. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Sounds pretty good! I agree that the cymbals still need some work. Could just need to automate the hits. The low end could also be cleaned up a little more imo.

6. Fortin Worship

Fortin Worship SS.org Regular

sounds reaaallly good imo