Boring ass prog metal

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by owenmakesstuff, Mar 3, 2017.

1. owenmakesstuff

owenmakesstuff SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

https://soundcloud.com/owenmakesstuff

Here are some of my mixes and songs I've been doing for the last 6 months. I'm feeling my mixes are getting somewhat lackluster and I'm so immersed by the music that the riffs don't sound all that, ehm, immersive anymore. I'd like some input on the aesthetic side of things. I've been getting a lot of feedback on the mixes themselves, and I'm only just learning, so I feel I have that process covered. But are the songs any good? Are they somewhat cohesive? Interesting? Hooky? Immersive (there it is again)? A lot of my friends aren't into this music so I get positive response from a select group. I play everything myself, including drums, so I have a lot of freedom when it comes to writing.
    For the record, I really like my own music. This is what I want to do. However, I'm so accustomed to hearing my own mistakes that I forget what it's like to perceive them from a listener's perspective. I'm just curious to find out what people, who aren't afraid of this genre, respond to it.
    Any tips on how to achieve coherence throughout songs during the mixing phase is welcome. I find it generally hard to achieve this.

Thanks in advance!