Borderlands Megathread - All things Borderlands

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by highlordmugfug, Aug 3, 2011.

1. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

The pre-sequel takes place before BL2, but it's like star wars in that you should play then in the order they came out because they don't really work in time order. Episode 6 would be crap if you had already seen episodes 1-3 (if you catch my drift).

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So start with BL2. Got it. I had it on Xbox 360 a long while back but didn't get very far before I ended up selling the 360. Like I mentioned earlier, playing through Tales from the Borderlands got me wanting to play again.

3. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

I've now put a few hours into Borderlands on 360.

It really is Diablo with Guns. On another planet. :)

It's definitely less sparse now I'm past the first two acts. I've noticed that XP rewards are very much more task based than going out on a random shooting spree. Quite liking it though.

4. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Are the more recent borderlands games better than the first? I bought the first one with some expansions. I played it for a day and was done. Enemies were sparse, NPC were sparse, quests were redundant... it was just lacking.

5. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

This is what I initially thought. Its only once you get past the first couple of areas that things start opening up a bit.

Mission content is fairly repetitive- generally, meet this character, repair that claptrap, find the bits of a gun or kill adversaries. But that't gaming.

I find that missions are a fairly important way of progressing due to the xp they provide..

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

First one is fun, but I like the overall feel of the second one better. Pre-sequel was pretty garbage though. :/

7. Ralyks

So I'm pretty sure I'm on the final story mission for BL2. Should I get all the sidequests done first or can I go back and do that stuff after finishing the mission? Or theres some kind of New Game + mode?

Guess I'll also be starting Pre-Sequel shortly too. Can't wait for BL3, and wish they would do another Tales from the Borderlands.

8. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

It depends on your level really, I finish Bl2 in the late twenties and then move on to the next playthrough. It does depend on how much you are enjoying the game as well, if you want to do the sidequests then you can do them, it's just the start of playthrough two will be a bit easy because you will be slightly over leveled.
    It's worth noting that playthrough two isnt any different from the first one, you just play through again with new levels and more skill tree unlocked.

9. tacotiklah

If you've never played the game before, I'd recommending doing all the side-quests in normal before moving on. This way you can check out some of the great luls that occur in some of the missions. There ARE some quests that might be worth skipping so that you can farm their bosses for specific neat-o items.

10. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Really? I like both equally I think. Pre sequel had funny guns and imo, better playable characters. Also, claptrap dlc. :lol:

11. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I don't really get why people hate on the Presequel. I can understand thinking it wasn't as good as 2 (because it wasn't :lol:), but I never thought it was a bad game. Certainly not "garbage." I had fun playing it, enough that I've done multiple playthroughs to see what all the playable characters are like.

12. Ralyks

I'm at level 30 in BL2 and at the point where I can do Talon of God, but I feel like I'd rather tackle that with a group of 4. So been doing remaining side quests while I wait for 3 people to join me whenever I get to playing, which is usually after my son goes to bed in the evening.... Then I end up on a 3 - 4 hour binge.

13. tacotiklah

I've done a couple playthroughs on it and it struck me as having an okay story (Though not a fan of 'play through jack's perspective'), funny moments, but AWFUL game mechanics compared to 1 and 2. The space jump stuff seemed cool when I first heard about it, but it was actually a pain in the ass to navigate with. Then Gearbox had to go and start doing their ....ery with patches and hotfixes, breaking the game more and more. Bosses that you could farm for items suddenly became unfarmable. Things like that just irritated me to where I couldn't play the game anymore. And the final boss is an absolute BASTARD to beat, even on easy difficulty. You could be one of the noobs that uses gibbed to get all the best guns and it still would take you a while to beat the boss.

I dunno, compared to previous offerings it felt like the game really lost direction and what good things about it that it originally had, Gearbox screwed up by patching it out.

14. Grand Moff Tim

Really? With some builds/playstyles he was pretty tough, yeah, but with other builds he was almost hilariously easy. The last boss of the Claptrap DLC was harder, IMO.

15. Ralyks

Just finished the story in BL2 and started True Vault Hunter mode. I don't think I would have beaten that final boss if I wasn't in a party if 4. I'm going to start on Pre-Sequel, just deciding who I should start with. Playing as Jack sounds like it could be amusing.

16. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I really enjoyed Wilhelm, his drones helped me survive a ton of nasty stuff. If you enjoy some fun and shenanigans (and can stand the character), Claptrap is pretty sweet.

17. Grand Moff Tim

With Jack you can eventually get a skill/perk/whateverthey'recalled that increases your damage multiplier every time you pick up a stack of money, and it lasts until you die or buy something from a vendor. It isn't too hard to not spend money, since you'll likely get your best gear as loot drops, so with that perk you can become absurdly powerful after clearing a few areas and picking up all the cash. The last boss of the game was practically a joke when I strolled in the an enormous damage multiplier, haha.

18. tacotiklah

I was a fan of Nisha myself. I love the slow-mo while fanning the hammer of revolvers-type action. A lot of fun and minus some ending bosses, she tears through content like it's nothing.

19. Ralyks

Playing through with Nisha right now. Other than the gravity and oxygen elements, it feels like more BL2. Not complaining. I'm guessing less people play Pre-Sequel though because I never have problems with people joining in on BL2, not so much with this game.

20. tacotiklah