Boil / Abscess advice?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Toxic Dover, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Toxic Dover

Toxic Dover SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you knew of any good ways of getting rid of boils and/or abscesses... I had the first one of these in my life about 3-4 months ago on my stomach; I let it go for a week or so before caving in and going to the doctor. They tested for staph and MRSA and both came back negative, and then they proceeded to squeeze the ever-loving piss out of it for about 5 minutes, packed it, gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way... I'm trying to avoid such a pleasant experience as that again...

I've got another one now, this time bordering on the rear of my left hip and my left butt-cheek... Looks and feels the same as the one I had on my stomach a few months back. Only now I'm in-between jobs, have no insurance currently, and no source of income for the next 3 weeks or so until I start my new position. It ruptured yesterday and has drained a significant amount, but it's still hard and painful... I'm keeping an eye out for signs of more serious infection (fever, nausea, etc.), but so far the only thing that is in agony is this abomination on my butt.

I've been letting it drain on its own over the past 2 days, cleaning it with rubbing alcohol, followed by hydrogen peroxide, followed by Neosporin and a bandage... Will this suffice, or do any of you who have been plagued by these things before have any home remedies to speak of?

2. Oreo_Death

Oreo_Death Blackbird

I haven't experienced anything like that, but from the sounds of it you're doing a good job at keeping it clean. Hope someone can come along and give some advice, but yeah, the best thing you can do is to just keep it clean and hope it either clears up on its own or doesn't get worse until you can see a doctor again.

3. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

:worth:

:lol:

Explorer likes this.
  4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Get to a free clinic; you'll want the antibiotics to clear that shit up.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

THIS.

I had an abscessed tooth and while a big part of it was - and I'll keep this simple for folks - drilling through the dead tooth to let the abscess breath (which did smell) the other part of it was that the abscess is technically an infection so you need to get medicine for it; without it, you're not doing anything besides having an open wound.

6. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

So...you have a nice girlfriend? :idea:

Have her massage it a bit :ugh:

Poke it with a needle :eek:

Then have her suck out all the crud :barf:

Just joking :lol: go see a doctor.

7. twizza

twizza Social Assassin

I would also try Tea Tree oil topically, as well as some raw garlic. RAW, not cooked, exposed to air about 15 minutes before consumption.

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Put some sea-breeze astringent on it when it starts to drain. It'll burn like hell and should eventually help. Oh, and keep clean.

9. anotherbane

anotherbane SS.org Regular

yeah,Get to a free clinic; you'll want the antibiotics to clear that shit up.thanks[​IMG]

10. Ill-Gotten James

Ill-Gotten James SS.org Regular

Shower every day and dry the area thoroughly. Cleanse the boil/ abscess at least 3 times a day with soap and water, dry, then clean the area with 70/30 isopropyl alcohol. Do not cover the area with a bandaid, use gauze and medical tape. If you are going to drain it, i.e. squeeze it, wash your hand first and make sure that your nail beds are clean, but I would not recommend this. Better solution than squeezing it yourself, go to a doctor.

Tell the doctor that you do not have insurance and need to pay out of pocket. You can usually negotiate a discount. Also, ask about prescription discount plans, which are usually free to those without insurance, as you will most likely need some antibiotics. Wallgreenes and Walmart both have generic prescription plans that costs like $20 for a year and you save an ass-load of money on medications that you might need.

Last, don't wait until the last minute to get yourself examined. I work in healthcare and see the effects every day of people who wait too long to seek medical treatment and wind up with a larger problem than what they expected. Go to a doctor or a free clinic and get treated.