Blonde and Ginger mummies found in egypt

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KnightBrolaire, Jun 16, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

A number of mummies have been found with blonde or red hair. Ramses II was apparently a ginger.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Probably companions of the Doctor...

3. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

With all the effort in the mummification process for the afterlife, at least the Egyptians believed that we gingers have souls.

4. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

no wonder their culture died off :lol:

Demiurge likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Ah, alternative facts in full effect.

https://sites.google.com/site/naomiastral/ancient-kemet/the-science-of-ancient-egyptian-hair

ferret and JoshuaVonFlash like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

7. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

I mean, no shade from me. I like weird theories and stuff, so I'm glad you posted.

I'm also not a chemist, archaeologist, or any of the relevant 'ists' to be considered knowledgeable of this. HOWEVER, two issues I'd have with the tests they conducted would be 1.) just because they're using "like chemicals" or "similar methods" to what Egyptians used at the time does not mean they're identical to the chemicals and methods used on THAT person at THAT time 2.) I don't think you can replicate 2,000+ years of effects in 40 days 3.) Egyptians are theorized to have essentially invented make-up and hair dye/relaxer, so it's not entirely far fetched to think may have had their hair dyed before or after death, as part of ritual or as a sign of their class.

8. KnightBrolaire

the specific effects of embalming is what they were testing, which is a process within egyptian mummification (and also takes 40 days, just like the study). The video also cites that the roots of the hair on the blonde/ginger mummies was the same color as the rest of it, which they posited to mean that the mummies were blonde/ginger. If mummification did effect the hair color, then there would be far more examples that they would have found by now. As it stands there are not many blonde or ginger mummies. If there were any dyes they would most likely not be preserved over thousands of years, considering most synthetic dyes (which the egyptians did not have access to) don't even keep their color fastness for a time close to that.