Black Water Guitar Company

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by explosivo, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I'd think this is the opposite of over promising, I'm glad he's spending the time to work on the backlog. Even if it sucks that it's at the expense of ever reopening the custom guitars waitlist ever.

I said what I said because especially when the builder and luthier is this small, it's easy to forget that it's not a huge office with an entire dedicated staff just for inquiries. I know both of those guys and they're good people, so long as he's not taking more orders and chipping away at customer guitars, he's doing the right thing.

2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

If I ripped 95% of the Ibanez headstock and just changed the rounded ends to points, I'm sure that too would be a hit with their clientele. Because it looks better than their original designs. Doesn't really change the fact that I did no significant design work.

You have no brand. It'd be pretty difficult to trademark something that's 95% of someone else's design and widely associated with that brand to begin with, and then on top of it you don't even have a product to use it for! Customer service complaints aside, all this headstock business is just silly.

I think he was just being courteous when he originally asked you, and you read way too much into it. Case in point, if I was a blackwater customer I could do exactly what you did: take your headstock, change one of the pointy bits to a rounded edge instead, and voila, a new headstock. Now do I get design credit on any guitar that wants that? Not sure what you expect from them.

3. T40

T40 SS.org Regular

Well, I took this a step a further. Recently work sent me a trip to southern Texas and the lightbulb went off. Thats where my guitar is.

So through Dan I got the address and went to visit Aaron in Marble Falls. Overall, the meeting went well, I got to see my guitars progress and the shop. I confirmed that his only job currently is building guitars. I also now have his personal number and havr discussed speaking with him atleast biweekly if not weekly and that has held ever since.

Ive found that his time estimates short term are much more accurate then the when will it be done estimates. I usually try and see what the goal is for the week and hes holding a good pace.

I def feel better now and hopefully we can keep this up.

4. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

I'm with narad on this one, I have your old build Watty with the split wood headstock (DII alternate I think he calls it?) and its basically a vik headstock. I know you may have given him the idea to use them on his builds but you took the idea from Vik almost 1:1 :scratch:. Not to mention you have a history of getting Vik copies made. I have no problem with that becuase Vik is a total ass hat and he doesn't deserve the designs he has but bottom line is the design was almost entirely made by someone else. If anyone deserve credit, unfortunately, its Vik.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  5. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Good luck; I did the same thing, and never got my phone calls, texts, emails or other forms of communication returned (and this was coming as a return customer).

6. T40

T40 SS.org Regular

It's working for now, some times I'll have to shoot over a couple of texts, but I've gotten a response each time with pics. He's currently got my neck being glued in, should be body shaping next.

7. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

I'm only yanking your chain dude, mention it however often you like. :yesway:

8. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Come on, I would be curious to know what Vik K. thinks about "your" headstock design. :lol:

This part of your griefs against Blackwater is ridiculously childish!

And yes, this headstock is both worse than both the ViK one and the original BW one... (and than the Blackmachine one too).

9. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Despite being as far behind as he is, with as many outstanding orders as he has, Aaron just quoted a four month build time to a friend of mine, who asked purely to see if they could get a response out of Aaron since customers who've already paid can't seem to.

Unbelievable.

10. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

That's hard to believe... He doesn't even take custom orders anymore!! :scratch:

11. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

That's what I thought too.

12. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

The build time was in reference to that build slot thats currently for sale in the classified section. Technically its already an 'in progress' build (although the ad says the build hasn't started at all and specs are totally up to the buyer) so its not a flat out 4 month build time but it does seem like a pretty generous estimate given everything else.

I love my blackwater and Im really on the fence about buying the spot, seems really optimistic though :(

13. T40

T40 SS.org Regular

Yeah, if its not started yet thats a no go on the 4 months. Id say a year minimum.

14. T40

T40 SS.org Regular

Well, the pictures are up on the Instagram. Its taken 3 years and 2 months, but its done.

15. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Well that's good to hear... let us know if it was worth it!

And I hope you still like the specs you chose more than 3 years ago ;)

16. JMO831

JMO831 Consultant

I have this gorgeous HSII coming in a few days! I'll make sure to post a NGD ASAP!

Attached Files:

17. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

DAMN! :shred:

18. IronGoliath

IronGoliath SS.org Regular

Was this the same one on his Instagram posted 3 months ago then? Did you buy this used or something?

19. JMO831

JMO831 Consultant

Yes, the same one!

It was finished 3 months ago, like you've stated. But it didn't actually reach the owner for another month. The owner - who waited over 3 years - took it out of its case like twice to snap a few photos. Aaron actually told him it is one of his best creations to date. The owner couldn't justify keeping it, so we came to a good deal early last week!

It's coming tomorrow - NGD incoming. :hbang:

20. euronymous

euronymous SS.org Regular

Anyone knows what happened to them recently? Their ins just stopped post any thing new for almost two month and Dani just don't reply any emails. Last time he replied that my built will be begin in about one month after they finished other 3 guitars. Now it has been more than 3 months,