Black Mirror

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by steinmetzify, Oct 31, 2016.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Accidentally watched S3:E1 instead of S1:E1, and man, I was so god damn uncomfortable during the whole thing.

Just, the premise of someone's entire life coming down to a rating system, and the patronizing aspect of some of them. Ugh, just all of it made me crawl.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Given that I can only get to some later episodes, is it worth watching anyway? Does season 3 make sense on its own?

3. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

I always thought I would like this....I'll give it a shot!

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yep! Watched this when it originally aired, haven't seen the new episodes. Be Right Back is such a good episode.

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Yeah, they're all one offs, dude. None of them are interconnected by anything but music, although I'll echo what was said above regarding the 3rd season being the weakest one, although there were a couple good episodes.

6. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Same here. That was the point.

In the portrayed reality, humans are kept under control by that rating system. They coerced to be cordial to each other and pretend to be perfectly happy in order to function about their daily lives. And then some humans become the "top influencers" and devote their lives to climbing as high as they can in the rating system - even abusing the system.

The sad part is that the rating system from that episode is entirely plausible, and I could possibly see it in the near future for humans with how our lives and society revolve around social media nowadays.

All episodes are available on Netflix or on sites like Couchtuner.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Again, I'll reiterate that I'm in Canada, which means they're not all on Netflix. Also, I generally avoid piracy/less-than-legit media just on principle. More than that, ISPs have been following this new law lately that's been allowing companies (look up "Canipre") to go after people who pirate stuff, sending notices, bullying people into paying to "settle", and threatening further legal actions- a whole bunch of nonsense I don't want to deal with, so I'm avoiding consuming any media via less-than-legit means for that reason as well.

I know several people who have paid out $200+ per shot because they got these threatening letters, and were afraid of whatever might happen if they just ignore it.

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Biggest disappointment for me with BM has been the incredibly meager amount of episodes per 'season.' I mean jesus, 3 episodes at 45 mins each constitutes a season? Fvcking hell it does. I'd ditch them having such big name actors in it if it meant getting more content.

I also can't help but feel like theres a huge drop in quality between seasons 1 and 2. The last episode of season 1 is utterly heartbreaking, but so far everything I've watched in season 2 has just been like "OK, I see where this is going immediately, so now I just have to stomach it."

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Welcome to UK television. Britta sums it up well:

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Thinking back on it, I did have the same qualm with Luther, although Peep Show ran longer I believe?

Friggin' Brits, of all the shows you let go on forever and it had to be Doctor Who?!

11. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

They're actually discussing this happening in China. So many people coming into "the market" without any major credit system and this is the backup. What is scary about BM is how dangerously close all of this is.
    China "social credit" system on BBC

Unquestionably my favorite show, possibly ever.
    If you're looking for more along these lines, the new Alexander Weinstein collection of short stories, Children of the New World, is right there with it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Children-New-World-Alexander-Weinstein/dp/1250098998

12. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Holy ....ing ..... Are you kidding me?! :eek::ugh:

13. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

The future is not a good place.

14. Faldoe

Faldoe SS.org Regular

Yeah, it's not dystopian in a very far in the future sense.

The whole series is great. S3 E1 was really hard to watch. Lead actress is really cute though.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Finally got around to watching some of this. They really push the whole "technology is bad" thing a bit, but super entertaining otherwise.

16. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I don't think they have pushed the "technology is bad" so much as "here's where technology can go wrong and sometimes terribly wrong." Quite a few themes from modern society are touched on here and not really explored, but interesting none the less.

I liked most of them, and obviously some more than others.

I haven't seen many people mention it but I liked San Junipero the best. It at least had a happyish ending, even if they acknowledged the potential pitfalls of such a reality. Other standouts were The Entire History of you, White Bear, Be Right Back.

I really enjoy watching the twilight zone, and this is right up the same alley.

17. MFB

MFB ExBendable

White Bear was a cool concept, but something about it just dragged on for me. Can't put my finger on it, and it irks the hell out of me since it's so close to being a full length movie on it's own.

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yeah, I get that's what they were going for- I just mean that there are certain scenes or shots that are clearly an over-exaggeration of the theme. It works perfectly well for the sake of the narrative, and I appreciate it as much, as long as you don't think of it as being too strong a commentary on the current direction technology is heading.

Like there are several shots where you can tell it was framed intentionally to show how everyone is glued to their phones- the statement being made by the shot is clearly that this is an unnatural and detrimental way to be social. It works great in the context of the show. It's a bit heavy-handed as a comment on how people actually use their phones though. The narrative doesn't need to deep-dive into any realistic implications of phone use, it can just say "using phones this much is bad" and leave it at that. If you frame is as a "made you think" moment though, I think the statement falls a bit flat. :2c:

I don't think it takes away from enjoying the show though. :yesway:

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Had a break from it

just watched S3 ep1 . was good . scary and poignant

gonna force my wife, who is a chronic Instagramer , to watch it

I have liked them all so far. some more than others , but they all have been worth watching

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

just watched shut up and dance

well, that was messed up