BKP substitutes

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Oceandrinksboat, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Oceandrinksboat

Oceandrinksboat SS.org Regular

I just want to know if there are pickups similar to BKP's Aftermath or Juggernaut; something that's a bit more middy with a punch. but that's not a passive.

2. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Midrangey active?
    Blackout Metal, maybe? Mustaine Livewire set?
    If you want tightness (because you cited the Aftermath and Juggernaut I'm going to assume you want tightness) you might want to go old school and get an 81 or an 81X.

I cannot think of anything active that sounds like those pickups...

3. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Agreed. Nothing active really sounds close to them, IMO. Nobody has heard the SD Retribution, Dino's new set, unless he's been touring with them in which case I'd say they rule for metal. But I can't think of an active that would do comparing to the BKPs you mentioned, particularly with the Juggernaut. And you want something MORE midrange than an AM or Jugg? Those really own the midrange spectrum, especially from BKP.

4. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Red Handed Riff Raff

If actives were that similar to passives, what would be the point of them (other than being a bit quieter)?

On the Duncan side the AHB-3 "EMTY" is pretty friggin' awesome and EMG has the "57" now which is pretty sweet too (I use both, along with passives in other guitars).

EDIT: By "awesome" and "sweet" I mean they both have a more "natural" and less compressed sound than say an EMG-81 while retaining a fairly sharp attack. The EMTY is vaguely 81-ish with a lot more character, the 57 is all about those mids (so much so that I personally couldn't handle the 6-string version due to hearing damage but it tames most of the baritone qualities of my 8-string, making it sound more like a guitar and less like a bass).

What are you putting them in anyway?

5. Oceandrinksboat

Oceandrinksboat SS.org Regular

My Schecter c-7

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

81x, EMTY, or 57