BKP Juggernauts and SD Alpha/Omega comparisons?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lyonk55, Jan 5, 2018.

1. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

Hello folks!

I was wondering if anybody has tried out these two pickups sets in the same guitar and can comment on the differences? I've got a Skervesen 7 string which I feel is a bit bright and harsh with Juggernauts in it (used to have Nailbombs and the high end was definitely worse) and an Ibanez SZ4020 with the Duncans I really like, but obviously these are very different instruments. The Skervesen is a 25.5 inch scale, maple bolt-on with limba body, no top, 1 volume and stainless steel frets. The Ibanez is a 25.1 inch scale, maple neck-through with mahogany body, maple top, nickel frets and 2 volume, 1 one tone set up.

I'm wondering if I might prefer the Duncans in the 7 string, but they are too different to really compare so any outside thoughts would be appreciated.

2. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

They're not remotely similar. Juggernauts to me are like a tubby Aftermath more or less so that might explain the brightness. That said, the Alpha/Omega is quite bright, much brighter than the Juggernauts. If the guitar is particularly bright, I might look into either Ragnaroks or War Pigs.

3. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

That was the impression I got, but wasn't sure how much was the guitars. I might look into Ragnaroks at some point then. Cheers!

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

-Juggernauts have a very vocal/cocked wah mid range while the omega is more of a snarling midrange.
    -Juggernauts feel bigger/slightly flubbier on the low end due to the low-mid bump.
    -Juggs have a spankier split sound and the neck pickup is quite nice and fluid sounding.
    - Omega feels bit brighter on the high end (which makes sense since it was made for slightly darker sounding mahogany/maple guitars like prs/les pauls).
    -The omega feels really mean with that snarling midrange and seemed more than capable of handling whatever type of music I threw at it, while the jugg's cocked wah voicing makes it harder to use in other styles imo. I tested both in the same swamp ash/ebony topped guitar and both work fine in brighter guitars, provided you can handle the brighter high end of the omega, or the jugg's cocked wah mids. In my experience it's a lot easier to take off some high end than it is to try and mess with the mids (at least without resorting to a 10 band eq or such). Personally I hate the juggernaut bridge and love the omega.
    -Depending on how bright your guitar is, I would stay away from the c-pig. It seemed to be both dark on the low end and borderline shrill on the high end due to the ceramic magnet/winding ime.
    -Alnico version might be fine for you though, since it doesn't have the ridiculous low end and brighter high end.
    -If you're open to other pickups, the guitarmory polaris is a warmer sounding pickup that stays quite tight (reminds me of the dimarzio titan actually). Adam over at Elysian pickups can also help you out if you're looking for a more specific sound. His pickups are top notch.

5. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

I'm wondering if it is more of a mid-range thing I'm noticing rather than high-end honestly. A weird harshness anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

6. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Yes, concur with all.

7. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

I have a sevenstring Jug and Alpha/Omega. I struggle to find the suitable tone for me when I use the guitar with Jug. A/O all the way!

8. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

Hi again all! Resurrecting this because I still haven't made the switch, but have identified more about what I don't like with the Juggernauts, which might change my options a bit. I've solved the harshness issues I had: turned out that some height tweaking and playing with the eq on the Kemper got it under control. But there is definitely some midrange stuff I'm not digging and have to cut out with a parametric eq to get it sounding right. I find there is too much going on at 250 Hz and ~700 Hz that's giving the sound a weird "woofiness" and mushing up the clarity. Again, my A/O loaded guitar doesn't need this done through the same patches. So A/Os are a contender for sure, but I'm also curious about the Bare Knuckle Black Hawks and Impulses. The Impulse sounds like a more even pickup that while although the Black Hawks are more full on, sound as though they aren't peaking in the low mids as much and instead have more lows. Does any one have thoughts/experience with the A/Os, C-Hawks/A-Hawks or Impulses?

9. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

Edit: accidental double post

10. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

Of the ones here I've tried - I like the C-Hawks best. They're very even, almost "hi-fi" sounding - but they will flat out kick you in the face with output. They're REALLY loud.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

I've tried the a-hawk bridge, impulse set and the a/o set.
    If I had to pick a versatile and pretty well balanced set I'd take the impulses or a/o set.
    I prefer the voicing of the omega bridge but the impulse bridge is quite mean sounding as well. It's more of a growly/throaty kind of sound whereas the omega is more snarly. The impulse bridge is just a bit thicker in the lows than the omega iirc. The a-hawk bridge has a slightly thicker midrange/a bigger low end compared to the impulses.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  12. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

Thanks guys. I ordered an Impulse set the other day. I'll chime in with how they work out. :)

MerlinTKD and LeviathanKiller like this.