BKP Juggernaut wiring/ground help

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by AStarlitNathan, Mar 18, 2015.

1. AStarlitNathan

AStarlitNathan ss.org Spammer

I need some help with pick-up wiring, ordered juggernauts for my LTD SC 607b I got all the stuff in from bareknuckle (pickups obvs, 550k volume pot, 500k push pull tone, .015f capacitor) got everything wired as per the diagram from bkp themselves, except changed which coils are selected when tapped (I wanted adjustable coil on neck, slug on bridge because I want the middle pickup to act as close to a neck as possible, instead of being a muddy bridge pup.) Added in the bridge ground since coming from actives, etc.

I did the tap test, everything seemed fine, strung it up and that's when I noticed my issues. Output is really quiet, and when any kind of gain is introduced it makes a constant squeal sound. Also, since I don't own an amp I play through JamUp on my phone, and whenever I would touch my phone, it would cause a loud hum, like there's a ground issue.

My concerns are: at minimum, I just did a bad job with the groundings or didn't do the bridge ground proper.
    or at worst, fried the wires somehow.

Also, local guitar shop charges $60 an hour for any kind of repair work, and the next closest place is 3 hours....

Any suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Are your guitar grounded to the bridge? If it had actives from the start there's a high chance it doesn't have any proper grounding and that will cause awful noise with passive pickups. I would take it to a guitar tech since its not easy work, especially when its not a floyd rose.

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Double check all your solder connections, especially the ground. Also make sure your pots are still working. It is most likely a bad solder connection or a fried pot :2c:

4. Desolate1

Desolate1 SS.org Regular

Did you replace the stereo output jack that was in the guitar with a mono jack when you made the swap from actives to passives? If not you will need to. If you did it sounds like you may have the hot and ground wires swapped at the output jack. I had a very similar problem when I did my first swap from actives to passives. Did a bunch of head scratching and digging through wires and checking solder joints but this is what I ended up finding. Good luck.

5. AStarlitNathan

AStarlitNathan ss.org Spammer

The grounds were just messy. Redoing them solved 99% of the issues.

the output issue was me experimenting with coil taps, having them alternate I'm guessing put them improperly out of phase.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys

Here it is, mid re-construction

It'll be refinished satin white, black hardware with gold accents/screws to match the pickup scheme. [​IMG]

6. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Nice choice on the covers! Looks tasty.