BKP in Agile Intrepid 82528

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by RiksRiks, Jun 9, 2016.

1. RiksRiks

RiksRiks Newbie

Ok, so first of all, I was thinking on buying an Agile Intrepid 82528, not for any reason in particular, but I'd like to explore the extra inch in the scale for an eight string. I've been thinking a lot on ordering one with Cepheus stock pickups. So far so good.

After thinking a bit, I believe I'd like to order some BKP pickups as well, I like their sound better and I think something like aftermaths or cold sweat would go great with the extra tightness of the 8 string tuned to, let's say E. So I could switch the Cepheus to my RG8 which is my backup 8.

The thing is that I don't have any experience with Cepheus' routings or 8 string pickups routing in general, I would like to know if someone has switched an 8 string multiscale Agile pickups for BKP's, if so, what problems in particular did you have?

2. djohns74

djohns74 SS.org Regular

First off, it's very likely that guitar actually has 9 string sized pickups in it, so that may change things for you. I'm not familiar with the dimensions of the Cepheus pickups either, but I know the EMG Pendulums are specifically listed as having 909s. The problem is that 8 string pickups just aren't quite wide enough once you angle them that much, so it's pretty common to use the next size up for a multiscale.

3. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

It should be a standard 8-sized pickup if its straight scale. The intrepid isn't fanned.

4. djohns74

djohns74 SS.org Regular

Technically, they do make multiscale Intrepids too and he did list 82528 as the model number, which is Agile-speak for a fan of 25.5-28.25.

5. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Ah, wasn't aware of that. I thought all multi-s were pendulum.

If that's the case then it'll definitely be 9 string pups, and as far as I know without going custom, you're limited to the emg's or laces. I know bareknuckle does some custom work but that would be $$$.

6. myfingerpoints

myfingerpoints SS.org Regular

Greetings,

So I took a quick look at other posts and found someone who has switched the pickups in a fanned fret Intrepid to a standard 8 string pickup:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...ing-w-fanned-frets-quick-review-pictures.html

The scale isn't the same but in practice it looks like the same process you're interested in. Now he did switch to Dimarzio's; I don't think that switching to BKP's would make too much of a difference. With that being said, when I switched from my stock Chapman pickups to a BKP Aftermath in my 7 string, it was EXTREMELY tight. I had to file the mounting feet down because they had a triangular shape to them instead of a flat shape. I don't think you'll have that problem though, I looked everywhere and it seemed I was the only one with that issue, lucky me lol I don't foresee that being a problem in this guitar, the cavities look like you've got plenty of room to play with.

Good luck to ya!

7. RiksRiks

RiksRiks Newbie

Thank you all for your responses, I didn't know that multiscale guitars come with larger pickups.

That would work fine with me, I hope that BKP's mounting feet aren't gonna be much more different than Cepheus'

I guess that the 25.5-28" scale would use a same sized pickup than the 25-27. If this is the case I won't hesitate on switching them, the only downside being that I'll have some Cepheus' 9 pickups without any use.

I'll keep you updated, first I have to finish paying my Ormsby 7 string multiscale, thanks a lot guys!