BKP Holy Diver vs BKP Rebel Yell

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Rykilla, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Rykilla

Rykilla SS.org Regular

I am currently building my custom guitar. It has a korina body (it is like mahogany with some extra mid-range), 11-ply wenge + mahogany + padour + maple (mid-range focused), ebony fretboard. Well, some of you might guess it, its Mayones.

I have a passion with the 80' hardrock and heavy metal (and some shred metal). Some of the examples are Queen, ACDC, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake (doug aldrich).

I did my search on google, and it appeared that BKP Holy Diver is really good for these stuff. And given that that my guitar body is a little dark, I also consider Rebel Yell. But my top choice currently remains HD.

My question is that, does BKP HD work well in mahogany body+neck (LP model)? Or does it need some extra treble to complement?

2. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

The rebel yell definitely gives a little bit more bite in the top end of a mahogany bodied guitar :yesway:

3. Rykilla

Rykilla SS.org Regular

4. ProphetOfHatred

ProphetOfHatred SS.org Regular

I would go Nailbomb, those sound the best to me.

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I used to have a Rebel Yell bridge and loved it for any kind of heavy/distorted sound. Lots of edge, but not in a piercing high end sort of way, tight low end, and a nice upper mid focus that cuts through like a knife. I regretfully sold it to try other pickups, but would certainly like to own another someday.

I haven't used the Holy Diver, but I've read that it's more or less a Duncan JB that's not so nasally sounding. Based on that and my experience with a regular JB, I'd still go with the Rebel Yell.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I recently took a Rebel Yell set out of my Surh 7 (swamp ash body, maple top). I generally liked the tone - it was a little bright given the body woods and the OFR7, but not unpleasantly so and the neck pickup in particular was great (and balanced very well with the bridge).

My biggest problem was output - maybe there was something wrong with mine, but it just didn't have THAT much output. It was audibly weaker than the PAF7/Blaze set in my Universe and it always just felt a little underpowered.

7. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

There must have been something wrong because the Rebel Yell's are quite high output.

8. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Someone somewhere said that the Holy Diver is closer to the "old JB" and the Rebel Yell is closer to the modern JB.
    Now I've had the 35th anni. JB, the modern one and the Holy Diver; I can see where that is coming from.