BKP "Brute Force" tele review

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by RustInPeace, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

So recently I scored an unbuilt tele kit - warmoth ash body, allparts maple/rosewood neck. I had been GASing over getting a tele recently and the stars aligned for this sweet deal! Fast forward several weeks later of hardware procurement and body finishing - I had a decision to make for pickups. I had been leaning towards the BK Piledriver series for a more aggressive but still versatile tele tone. I play in a punk rock band but also play metal and blues. But then I saw a video of Rabea demonstrating the new BK Boot Camp lineup and thought.. what the hell, lets do this!

This may also be the first real review of these on the interweb.

OK SO

I first installed these with 250k pots as per single coil dogma. And I really tried to like these pickups but they were just not doing it for me. They sounded overly bassy (Especially the neck which sounded like mud city) with no discernible tele bite, and actually much weaker than I anticipated. I tried hard for a few days with different EQ settings on my Katana Artist to get something that was *okay*. I kept switching back to my other recent purchase - a Yamaha RS502 with stock p90s that sounded more aggressive and versatile, even though they aren't high output. I was ready to give up and sell these pickups and move on.

BUT THEN

I got the idea to try and switch out the pots for 500k values. I dug through my gigantic bag of discarded but maybe sometimes useful guitar electronics (there's literally bad pickups from the initial run KM7s in there, as well as a burnt out emg81) and found 2 BRAND NEW 500k pots! Hot damn. I wired those bad boys in as quickly as possible.

OK SO

These pickups fucking RULE. The new pots opened uP THE GATES OF HELL THROUGH WHICH THE TONES OF THIS BEAST PREVAIL. God damn. The 500k pots let that tele bite come through, while also tightening up the low end and producing more clarity in the midrange. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to get out of these.

I can now put any level of gain at these and be satisfied. The cleans are sparkly and true to the tele heritage. The pickups deliver tight, articulate tones under high gain. The middle selector switch with the pickups in parallel has that classic spanky tele tone. The neck now sounds much more balanced. The volume and tone pots react in a way that is just OKAY IMO - I still prefer using my Yamaha tone/volume controls to sculpt sounds, but that may be due to the lower output p90s.

I'm pretty happy with these now and they will be staying in. They came at a very good price ($200 CAD) which was comparable to all the top name brands.

9.2/10

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah I routed some viking runes into the body and filled it with glow in the dark resin!

Alex79 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Thanks for sharing, there's so little information on these boot camp pickups and almost no independent reviews. I was wondering what the True Grit humbuckers sound like for a while.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Thanks for the review, especially on a product we haven't heard a lot about yet.

4. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

cool review, I really back the boot camp pickups, they are fantastic.