Bjorn Gelotte Signature Model is coming...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Blood Tempest, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Blood Tempest

Blood Tempest Eschaton Mémoire Contributor

As seen posted on Bjorn's Instagram account earlier today: Instagram

This In Flames fan boy is very excited. This is long overdue, IMO. I will most definitely be purchasing one, as they are my absolute favorite band. Always have been, always will be.

2. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

I wonder if Gibson will eventually have to do something about artists having Epi sigs instead of $5k Gibby sigs......

3. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

What is he playing these days? Not sure what to think of In Flames anymore. I love everything through Clayman. Come Clarity was the only thing they have released in 14 years that I cared much for other than a few parts of the other albums. I liked Jesper's new band though.

4. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

What would they have to do about it? And why would they need to do anything at all? PRS pricing is roughly comparable to Gibson pricing, and the number of SE signatures far, far surpasses the number of USA signatures. That's kind of what the import brands are all about: someone like Bjorn may not be high-profile enough to warrant a Gibson sig, but they'll give him an Epiphone sig, and while you can argue the respective merits, it's a win for all concerned parties: the artist, the manufacturer, and the fans.

Forgive me if that's not how you meant it, but the post came across as baseless Gibson-bashing.

5. Blood Tempest

I've always loved how they've changed with every album. You really can't say that they have released the same album twice. Some like it, other don't. Personally, there isn't an album in their discography that I don't like. Everyone seemingly has differing opinions on the matter.

Agreed. I would NOT want to shell out $3k+ to get his Gibson branded signature. Bjorn is one of my favorite guitarists/songwriters, so having a chance to own something at a very reasonable price with his specs is a huge deal for me. The Matt Heafy sigs have seemed to be selling well, and all of the owners I've seen talk about them online are very satisfied. Epiphone makes quality stuff, at least all of the ones I've played. I'd have zero concern with potential sub-par quality in this purchase. I also think the more reputable artist sigs they produce for Epiphone helps strengthen the brand. :2c:

6. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

Nah, not bashing (this time lol) but I have to wonder if they lose a decent bit of their profit margin. The pricing of a signature Gibby LP is monstrous compared to the Epis and I honestly don't know how much more they cost to manufacture. The idea of prominence being the determining factor makes sense though, aside from the Matt Heafy sig. Maybe Trivium was never actually popular?:/

7. fortisursus

fortisursus SS.org Regular

Hmmm I actually really dig the headstock inlay. Only In Flames fans would catch on.

8. Blood Tempest

Agreed. It's very subtle and could just be seen as a custom shop-esque aesthetic. Tastefully done. I REALLY like it.

9. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

They lost me at Epiphone, but that Jesterhead inlay rules. I am also a fanboy. I love all their stuff. Old and new. An LPC with that inlay would rule. I want to see the rest of the guitar.

10. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

I'm assuming an epi custom with gold hardware and gold emgs?

Congrats Bjorn! Well deserved... Long overdue. Maybe Niclas will be getting one too.

11. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

I'd be interested in a black and gold In Flames LPC, if it came stock set up for C-standard. Because what do I look like, someone who's not lazy?

[​IMG]

12. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Love me some InFlames... but do not want Epi. Pass.

13. Skullet

Skullet SS.org Regular

If it is just a epi custom LP with gold hardware & gold EMGs i wont be interested. I could just purchase a normal epi black custom and drop gold emgs in lol

14. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

I've always found it weird that Gibson has some kind of deal where they give artists (specifically metal artists) "Epiphone" signature models, as opposed to $3-5K Gibson signature models.

Perhaps just for sales since not everyone is on the Gibson hype or want to shell out for one?... Last artist I saw that actually got a Gibson signature model was Buckethead.

Either way, I really want to get one of these. But if it's just a black Les Paul with the yellow trim, gold hardware, and EMGs (regular black or gold covers), I'm not interested.

...unless maybe the price is stupid cheap... But I've never been an Epiphone or Gibson guy.

15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I think Zakk Wylde's Bullseye Sig is the only metal-artist sig. that they continue to make as an on-going production piece. The other sig models are just limited runs. I guess there's not enough money in it for Gibby?

16. vibrantgermancities

vibrantgermancities SS.org Regular

I swore off Les Pauls recently, but that inlay is the best thing ever. Very interested to see how this turns out... only to be put off by spiralling Epi prices.

17. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

They give Gibson sigs to artists with a high enough profile to warrant a Gibson sig. Recent recipients of a Gibson sig model include Billie Joe Armstrong, Chad Kroeger, Chris Cornell, Dave Grohl, and of course perennial endorser Zakk Wylde. Regardless of what you think about their respective music, any of those artists is orders of magnitude more successful and recognizable to the general public than Bjorn. In Flames may be a pretty big name as far as melodic death metal goes (or however one would categorize them these days), but in the grand scheme of things, they're pretty minor. No More Tears alone has probably sold more copies than In Flames' entire collected discography, so it's no wonder Gibson keeps giving him signature models. This is not a dig at Bjorn or In Flames in any way, it's just the reality.

And going back to my earlier point, how is Gibson's practice of issuing signature models any different from, say, PRS? Of all the guitarists you like who play PRS, how many of them have USA PRS signatures, and how many have SEs? I'd wager that the ratio tips very heavily on the SE side. Really, I can only think of at most five full-on USA signature models, and those were for guys like Mark Tremonti and Carlos Santana. Opeth is roughly as popular and successful as In Flames, but neither Mikael nor Frederick got USA signature PRS models. Hell, even Mike Mushok from Staind, who I would say were a much bigger band than In Flames at their peak, got an SE.

The point is that you and others describe this as something weird that Gibson is doing, when in reality it's neither weird, nor something at all particular to Gibson.

18. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

Oh no, Ying.....it's questionable for PRS too, but they have 1 advantage. That Paul Allender (?) model was purple. XD

19. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It might also be an artist choice. If I remember Matt Heafy said he wanted an Epiphone so it would be affordable to most be people. Or Gibson didn't think a true Gibson sig would sell as much and gave it the guitar for all people spin. In any case most artists with Gibson sigs have their models out as Epiphones too as they would move more units.

20. Blood Tempest

Considering that's what he's played for the longest time now, that is probably what it's going to look like. Fine with me. I love black guitars. But again, you're buying something the artist is designing. Totally his call, for better or worse.

:lol: I'm sure it'll come set up for Drop A#, but C standard would be excellent. Especially for the lazy. :lol:

Surprised to see this many people dissing on Epiphones. I mean, I get that it's not Gibson, but the ones I've played never seemed like anything to complain about by any means. :shrug:

I did the exact same. Even sold my ESP Eclipse. So much for that. :nuts:

This. It's a lot of business decision making, I'm sure.

Also a possibility. I thought that was really cool of Matt to select that. Hell, the guy even plays them live. They sounded great when I've seen him use them and he doesn't exactly seem to hate them as he switches between the 6 and 7 string models during a set without playing anything else. I'm sure the artists are aware of their target audience and how attainable they'd like to make it for established and up and coming guitar players alike. I'm definitely in support of that. Not that it's exactly the same thing, but I've liked that Munky from Korn has done that with his sigs in that he has a mid level and prestige level sig. :yesway: