Bill O'Reilly fired from Fox

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Apr 19, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/business/media/bill-oreilly-fox-news-allegations.html

Tucker Carlson (AKA the guy who's CNN show got killed twice, once by Jon Stewart) will be replacing his spot.

2. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

He's scum on a scum channel, but his was not the most offensive program on there. :2c:

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

On a channel that contains Hannity, The Five, and Fox & Friends, I agree.

But still, the dude was scum, and was apparently almost off the hook until the settlement leaked (EDIT) and lost a ton of advertiser money.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, I just saw that.

O'Reilly always kind of gave me the heevie jeevies. After seeing clips of him, perhaps at his worst, perhaps not, I kind of wonder what kind of world we live in where what he does is entertaining.

Anyway, meh, there are a thousand other old crabby dudes who spout off just like him, and I'm sure another will come along soon.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It's always kind of a weird feeling, seeing someone whom you intensely dislike, suddenly be revealed to be even WORSE than you'd believed he was.

6. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Couldn't have happened to a sleazier jerk. In a world where bullies like him are too frequently revered and rewarded, it's nice to see at least one of them get his comeuppance.

7. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

As hilarious as this all is (especially if you've heard Howard Stern poking fun at the situation recently), a part of me feels bad for mr. no spin zone. Guy had a massive hit show on tv, all this "power", but just for some reason can't make it with the ladies.

He's got enough bread to make this "vacation" permanent though (woo Aerosmith!), so i don't feel that bad...

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I think the worst aspect of this is that Fox didn't cut him over the crime, but because he was costing them advertising money. Fox knew about his sleazy behavior for years, but didn't do anything about it. His behavior wasn't exactly a secret. Between this incident and that annoying chick getting fired for being pro choice Fox is proving to be even worse than I could have ever imagined.

It is indeed nice to see people get what they deserve now and again though.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Despite their protestations to the contrary, Fox is a business, not a public service promoting a higher moral standard in American life. O'Reilly was making them a lot of money. They fired him when he started costing them a lot of money.

10. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I don't disagree, but it's still something the general public should take issue with.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Arguably, they just did. :lol:

12. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I mean with Fox overall, not just the O'Reilly aspect. Actually, from what I've heard some people have vowed to never watch Fox again BECAUSE they canned O'Reilly.

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Here's how you could beat Fox: make a news organization that is 10% more conservative than Fox.

Seriously.

The moderate right is fading away. It's way more fashionable right now to be extremist than to be moderate. Fox is already to the point where it looks like satire from the outside without context. But they aren't willing to go ALL THE WAY... get your own news up and running and take whatever Fox is doing and be 10% more of that.

Here are a couple Fox news articles and how they could be pushed just a little more over the top:

Headline: Santa Is Definitely White
    Santa Hates Anyone Who Is Not Protestant

Fox, we know what you were getting at with that article. Your audience doesn't want to hear you beat around the Bush, though. You don't need to Oblame it on the Muslims, specifically, so just go ahead and alienate everyone who is not your cup of tea in one fell swoop.

Headline: TOO BUSY FOR ISRAEL: Obama finds time for pirate, Letterman
    Obama Is a Dam-dum

Fox news waited three years to publish the story about Obama lightheartedly celebrating "National Talk Like a Pirate Day" and then tried to make it seem like something totally different than what it was. But they missed hundreds of opportunities to write daily pieces slamming Obama without substance by only writing pieces like this once or twice a week.

etc.

14. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

http://www.newsweek.com/two-former-colleagues-dispute-oreillys-jfk-story-309538

^ Not exactly the first time O'Reilly has had integrity issues...

Modern news has no responsibility to the public for accuracy, fairness, integrity, etc. The modern news is news infotainment. Aptly put above, but a business should and will put $$$ over doing the right thing nearly every time, because a corporation like Fox has a fiduciary responsibility to it's shareholders to make them money. May not be the right thing, but it is the correct thing.

15. Spencervmurph

Spencervmurph SS.org Regular

I can't believe it took this long for him to get fired.

16. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

bout time

17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Same guy, different necrobump... lolz

18. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Though I'm glad that Bill is finally off the air (for now), it's completely horrifying that Fox only cut him because he was hurting the company financially; though at this point it really isn't much of a surprise, considering that both The Daily Show and Colbert Report (and all the talking heads they birthed) have made a legacy by calling out Fox's deceptions and unethical journalism on a nightly basis.

19. IGC

IGC OCDG

Thank the good lord he isn't our president! Lol

20. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I hear he is teaming up with Rush Limbaugh (ugh...) to make something new.