Bill Cosby arrested and charged with sexually assaulting a woman

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    UPDATED: Bill Cosby arrested and charged with sexually assaulting a woman | cleveland.com

Although it had previously been deemed that there might not be enough evidence to prove the case, the now-unsealed depositions wherein Bill Cosby admitted to illegally securing prescription narcotics for the purpose of having sex with women has led the prosecutors to arrest and formally charge Cosby with drugging and sexually assaulting a woman.

Being as the alleged victim in the case is a lesbian, and was in a relationship with a woman at the time of the alleged assault, such facts undermine Cosby's declaration in his sworn deposition that he could always tell when a drugged woman was consenting to sex with him.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Yeah this is interesting. I was surprised that the statute of limitations lasted that long in PA as I believe for NY it is 5 years. They filed just days before it was to expire. IMO he's obviously guilty, I don't think that many women could all be lying plus he's admitted a number of things and even joked about spanish fly in an old comedy act.

The other thing I was surprised about is the 1 million dollar bail. That's an amount I've often seen set for even more severe crimes like murder. Is it cause they consider him a flight risk, because he's a rich celebrity who can easily plunk down the bail, or is that a common bail for aggravated indecent assault? Merely curious that's all, not stating an opinion on it.

Rev.

3. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I'm not going to pass my personal opinion on whether Cosby is guilty or not. But remember something, there have been instances in the past where women (particularly women who are seeking attention) have come forward and bandwagon-ed in proclaiming falsities against an individual just so that they (the women) could have their 15 seconds in front of the camera.

Not sure. It could be either one depending on if they see him as a flight risk or see his crimes as more severe because of the supposed number of claims of rape. A younger guy whom I went to high school with was arrested about a year or two ago for forcing a 16 year old female into prostitution. His bail was set at one million.

4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Sure, but "Cosby admitted that he acquired seven prescriptions of Quaaludes with the intent to give the sedatives to young women he wanted to have sex with". He's guilty. Over 50 women, all with very similar stories? All with the same "drugging"? I'm not a court of law so my opinion is solely that, my opinion. And in my opinion it's so obviously clear he's guilty. Maybe not guilty of every reported instance, but there's no way he's 100% innocent.

These charges are for a single person/report of aggravated indecent assault. He's not been tried or found guilty in the other instances so they shouldn't negatively impact the specifics of this preceding.

Rev.

5. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

While the allegations and the suffering of the victims is no laughing matter, I can't resist...

[​IMG]

6. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

^I was almost going to say that was in bad taste..then remembered how I couldnt stop myself from cracking up at this..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QOu_MsjKp6s

It is in poor taste but sometimes you just can't help but laugh...:ugh:

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Since you are raising that in the context of Cosby being charged, I'll point out where your example diverges from that context.

This victim did not just recently jump on a bandwagon. She went to the police. At that time, it was found that there likely wasn't enough evidence to move forward, but that strikes applicability of the "bandwagon effect."

One feature of the women's stories over the years has been that Cosby had given them pills which were claimed by Cosby to be supplements or antihistamines, but which rendered them unable to move. Under oath, Cosby admitted to illegally obtaining and filling multiple prescriptions for Quaaludes, and admitted that they were obtained for the purpose of getting sex from women. Cosby's admission was not released to the public until after more than 45 women had accused him of drugging them before sexually assaulting them.

Combine that with this fact: The earliest reported stories in the media, which all shared the detail of Cosby drugging the victims and which could have started a "bandwagon effect," were from decades apart. Even if the later accusers were merely using the same details to make a false accusation, the original accusers all gave that identical detail independently, without knowing that other women were telling the same story.

The modus operandus was consistent in those original stories, even though the women had never met and had never heard each other's stories.

----

It's still not a given that the stories of the other women will be allowed in evidence, but Cosby's deposition, along with his comments about knowing when a women was consenting, will be admissable as matters of public record.

The victim being a lesbian and in a same-sex relation at the time will also be part of the evidence, I'm assuming.

There is also that former NBC executive who stated that he had helped in this kind of thing for Cosby, but had finally admitted to it because of feeling guilty. Such a witness, being willing to admit that he felt like a scumbag and having no good reason to besmirch his own name, would be a difficult place to apply an argument that he was jumping on a bandwagon. Who wants to be known as having abetted a rapist?

8. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

The man has admitted to acquiring the Quaaludes to give to girls he wanted to have sex with. That's low down. And people(no one here, not yet at least) are still defending him.

I grew up watching Bill, read a couple of his books, really respected the man. I didn't want to believe the accusations at first either, but facts are facts. That many women with the same story and a confession that he acquired the drugs for stated purpose are too much to ignore.

10. monkeysuncle

monkeysuncle SS.org Regular

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

12. jeremyb

jeremyb SS.org Regular

You are seriously misguided, the whole reason so many women do not come forward and report that they have been raped, or molested etc is that they don't get taken seriously and the blame game that goes on, stop blaming the victims. :wallbash:

13. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

First off, I want to say that I don't think these points are completely invalid. False accusations of rape happen, and celebrities have been targeted, though I don't think these instances make up a percentage of cases statistically significant enough to safely assume that a portion of Cosby's accusers are opportunists.

Griffin's point is stronger, and I've been thinking my way through it in the weeks since it was posted here. The scenario he describes doesn't just sound familiar, it sounds like exactly the sort of stuff that many of the musicians that we admire engaged in regularly and publicly in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll (comedy?) were almost an expectation.

Then, I thought about my stance on prosecuting priests that committed sexual abuse against children in the 1970s (and basically any time before and much time after the 1970s). Obviously, it's a less ambiguous scenario: children can't consent, churches systematically worked to protect the abusers, families were paid hush money, etc. The central argument in favour of taking people to court for crimes committed a long time in the past is to have the matter settled. The victims deserve to have their stories heard in a court and have a decision made by a judge. I don't feel that 'the 70s were a different time' is a defensible argument against allegations of sexual misconduct.

I agree that Griffin makes some strong points (it's a compelling interview). The central problem is the intent of the accused and the consent of the victim. If Cosby has admitted he bought the quaaludes to procure sex, and that the drug essentially renders people incapable of providing consent, then I don't see how the "bandwagoning" or "different time" arguments hold up.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016