Big Wide Nuts for Bass Player to Finger

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by TheEmptyCell, Mar 11, 2019.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Los Angeles / Nashville / Syracuse / Belfast
    I’m a bass player. I like playing guitar but I’m not great. I get along better with the necks on acoustic and classical guitars because my fingers are used to wide 5 string basses.

I’m looking for an electric six string with a wider-than-average nut.

I’ve thought about ordering a Warmoth Superwide neck, 1 7/8” at the nut, and slapping it on a loaded Fender/Squier/whatever body.

But are there any production model guitars with similarly wide necks that cost in the realm of $500? I don’t mind neck profile so much, just that I need wider string spacing.

ElRay and The906 like this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Maybe grab a 7 (or 8 if you need crazy space) off of Rondo and install a 6-string bridge and nut?

3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

2015 Gibsons had a ridiculous nut width.

Dineley likes this.
  4. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

Not sure if hilarious title was on purpose but oh god I'm trying so hard not to post the most childish response ever to this thread....

feraledge, mlp187, Jeff and 5 others like this.
  5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I'm in a similar position.
    Even accounting for me being more used to playing basses, the string spacing of guitars just seems impractically narrow, when playing chords it's often difficult to fret a note without damping an adjacent string.
    Chords on a bass are easier in a way because you can rotate your hand and fingers more to play more shapes, and play more extreme shapes without damping adjacent strings.
    Classical guitars seem to have a more practical spacing meant for technical playing, so common spacing seems to be intetntionally narrow and a more folk/amateur/strumming/barre-chord/non-technical approach.
    It's not as if a 6 string guitar has a wide neck, it's tiny in the hands of most.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    ElRay and broj15 like this.
  6. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Dude you beat me to this....i was snickering like beavis when i saw the title lmao...

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Los Angeles / Nashville / Syracuse / Belfast
    Innuendo was absolutely intentional.

feraledge likes this.
  8. Soya

Soya Poor person

Probably should just practice more :shrug:

9. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I remember seeing some guy on eBay a few years back. He converted a 7 string guitar into a 6 string guitar for the same reason. But everybody thought he was a joke and made fun of him for it.

I'm sure that would work for big Andre the Giant type guys.

10. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I think some George Lynch models have wide necks and nuts.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

your answers is here:
    sorry if it sounds harsh, but its the true. Me like you guys am a bass player at first, since I was 15. Started noodling with guitar at 22, didnt really get any decent till quite a few years later. Even now at 35, I still struggle on the coordination department, as I always played bass with my fingers. And never fully sit down and "practice" guitar, so I missed on the sponge years of teens, when most ppl soak information easily and grow exponentially as they are fully committed to the instrument and have the time to do so.

I can play a lot of stuff on guitar, but never to the same level of tecnicality of a bass. My left hand is kinda there but my right hand is not.

bottom line, yup it would take time to adapt, to learn how to press down chords so you dont hit the other strings, and to mute the other strings, to get used to a narrow spacing and scale, and to small strings.

so yup, practice.... every guitar player has been in your position, and dont worry, the day they decide to take up on bass, they would struggle too ;)

efiltsohg likes this.
  12. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Thing about this sort of thing is that you can, of course, convert a 7-string neck into a rather wide spaced 6-string one provided you get the bridge to match. It's worth mentioning, however, that there's a tradeoff here unless you're going to be a diehard fingerpicker who isn't really tacking the good old stretched out chord (unless you have humongous hands, that is), and that is the distance between strings leading to far longer travel for string crossing when using a pick, and that in turn will make you sacrifice speed, efficiency, and build a fair bit more fatigue as you practice.

I faced a similar dilemma when tackling the bass for the first time, and considering my shot 4th finger and small hands the temptation was certainly there, yet when fumbling about to see how that would work, it was actually far worse than sucking it up and getting some practice on the normal thing: from insufficient clearance to get my fingers to pick or pluck properly to a very contrived feel on the left hand, while the initial idea and impression was that it would be a simple transition, it was actually undermined by a bunch of compromises and I'd have to train to get around them while becoming dependent on a very specific thing, so I said "fuck it!" and invested said practice on the actual thing.

efiltsohg and stevexc like this.
  13. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

The biggest neck I ever had was on my old Schecter Blackjack ATX. Pretty sure they're not exactly narrow either.

14. efiltsohg

efiltsohg Member

PRS wide-flat profile

15. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Rondo makes guitars with 1 7/8 neck width. I believe they have some in stock currently.

But also, practice. I go back and forth between guitars and basses all the time without issue. Unless you have abnormally large fingers this shouldn't be an issue with a little practice.

16. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

What i'm saying is, even taking practice into account, common guitar string spacing at the nut end is narrow for a guitar, this is a fact proven by the fact that classical guitars, which are designed for technical playing, have much wider string spacing at the nut end.

I'm not suggesting spacing should be wider at the bridge, so there will be no sacrifice of picking speed or less smoothness of multi-string strums. I'm suggesting strings being more parallel or possibly parallel.

A narrow spacing means you have to contort your hand and fingers into more extreme positions to avoid touching adjacent strings, so wider spacing is more comfortable, more ergonomic and healthier.

Electric guitars have, unfortunately, evolved from folk guitars instead of classical guitars, so the string spacing is probably intended for more basic non-technical playing, and intended for amateurs with, on average, smaller hands and worse technique (thumb-over) that makes a wide neck more difficult to play.

I often consider removing the lowest string from a guitar, leaving the bridge unchanged, and using a new nut, this widens the spacing at the nut but not at the bridge, and is a very easy conversion.

ElRay likes this.
  17. Soya

Soya Poor person

I know this is an over-the-line statement, but you have some shitty and nonsensical opinions.

efiltsohg likes this.
  18. BigViolin

BigViolin my vibrato is older than you

Maybe you need to learn the difference between "I disagree" and "shitty and nonsensical". There's a grand canyon there. None of his statements are either.

You got the over-the-line part right though.

19. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

I saw a guy on youtube do that because he was trained on classical guitar, and wanted to play electric in that style. It was all fun and games until he started playing and belted out a total knockout 10/10 clean guitar track. I was literally getting ready to make fun of him for doing what he did, but then he played his instrumental and it just blew me the fuck away.

I remember the ebay conversion though, that was terrible. This guy actually did a pretty good job with his.

20. Soya

Soya Poor person

Lul K, proclaiming all electric guitars aren't technical-playing friendly and not as healthy as classical guitars, yeah think more than just myself would 'disagree' with that.

efiltsohg likes this.