Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Adam Of Angels, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Why do you guys think it was Gus that did that to Mike's car in the last episode? Just speculation, or is there anything that makes you specifically think it's him?

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGzaLYicYA

3. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

As we said, the writers intended to tell as that "Fring's Back", and there was simply no other indication of this other than the note on Mike's car. It helps that a simple "Don't" is Gus' style. My guess is that Nacho is tied in with Gus somehow, and that's why he was standing in front of Hector.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Thinking back on this season, I do kind of get why people think it sucks compared to Breaking Bad. I mean, the characterizations, writing and acting are mostly strong, but very little actually happened. Most of the episodes had action like "Kim does some paperwork" or "Kim does some more paperwork." Mike's plotline was "Mike got mad about that guy from Breaking Bad being a dick, so he lurked around for a lot of episodes before trying to shoot him and then not shooting him and getting a vague warning from probably-Gus." 10 episodes to do that!! And what difference do we have with the other characters? Jimmy was hired by a firm, quit, and is now back to being independent shady lawyer, just he's now in a building with Kim. Kim quit the firm, and is now independent in a building with Jimmy. Neither of them really grew as human beings. It's just like a VERY slow setup for her to get disbarred because of him, or something. It's a pleasant enough show, but...yeah. I have no problem with any of the Jimmy/Kim content as it all provided character shading, but a lot of the Mike stuff legitimately felt like "well, we have 38 minutes of Kim/Jimmy stuff, and Mike is a character on the show, we better show him doing stuff."

When the end of the season is practically the same place for all of the characters as the beginning of the season, and it's a serialized drama instead of a non-serialized sitcom or cop show, I can understand peoples' problem with it.

Also, Chuck is one of the most hateable characters since Janice Soprano (who is so awful I was unable to rewatch anything past season 1 of that show). His arc was so useless this season. Basically the end of last season was like "holy ...., Chuck is a complete dick who hates Jimmy utterly despite Jimmy watching out for him all the time and clearly really caring about him." Guess what the end of this season was?!

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Did you watch Breaking Bad? :lol: A lot of episodes early in the series were pretty mundane, as far as action and plot development. It was very strong in terms of shots and character development.

Watching Kim sitting at the bar pondering for 45 seconds or whatever, her next move about whether to call Schweichert or stay with HHM does nothing for the action of the show, but it does provide quite a bit of development for the character. We saw a lot of the same sorts of production with Walter White. Heck, the reason Gus was such an awesome character was that he really didn't need to do anything to get viewers worked up. In fact, most of his screen time was him doing pretty much nothing special, but that provided a stark contrast with when he was slicing one of his own guy's throats open.

Anyway, people are always going to be disappointed when they get their hopes up for something. With this level of anticipation, there was no way VG was going to be able to please everyone.

Possibly; however, it would take some serious nuts to purposely stand in between a sniper and his target. I thought I saw a moment or two when Mike briefly considered shooting anyway.

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The first two seasons of Breaking Bad were my favorite of that show. It's not really comparable, the first EPISODE of breaking bad practically had more action than this entire season of BCS. This show's trying to do different stuff, so I'm not really meaning to say this show needs more exploding chemistry experiments being tossed at drug dealers or plane crashes, it just seems like there's been very, very little in the way of actual character arcs so far. Breaking Bad had characters moving very far each season. Compare Walt or Jesse at the beginning (well, after the cold open) of the first episode to the end of the last episode of the season. Or Walt/Jesse at the beginning of the first episode of season 2 to the last episode of season 2. They go through hell and are vastly different at the end of each season. And those are the "slow" seasons, as you said!

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I spent an inordinate amount of time on the BB wiki last night relearning all the character backstories. There's so much they can do with Fring coming in, it's no wonder they're bringing him back. I'd LOVE to know what the story with Chile was, for instance.