Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Adam Of Angels, Jan 10, 2015.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Loved every bit of the show so far. Saul was prob
    my fave character from BB. The show is nicely paced
    and I'm still wondering what direction it's gonna take.

BTW loved the track from Episode 6 (I think??).

Chris Joss: Tune Down

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I was out of town for a few days, so I'm just now sitting down to watch the Pimento episode. Just saw the Mike scene. Holy....! This show could have captured my attention equally if it was the Better Call Mike show. The dude just play pwns everyone who gets in his way. The epitome of Steve McQueen cool.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Steve McQueen didn't destroy people physically every time they crossed his path, so I would not use that particular term. :p

4. Hollowway

^True, but he is the epitome of a cool dude.

And I just finished watching the rest of the episode. Dang, it's getting good! I loved the distinction between being a good guy and obeying the law. Excellent juxtaposition with Chuck in this episode.

5. wankerness

Too bad he used Chuck's login to research the case, he's really screwed!

6. wankerness

Well, that was by far the lamest episode of the season. The "drama" with the fat guy fell flat on its face and the endless bingo scene was really bad. I also was annoyed that they answered the question of "will he take the deal?!?!?!" at the end instead of leaving us something to wonder about for season 2. I really like Kim, and even kinda like Howard now!

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Ok I just want everyone who's not from the area to know that Old Style does NOT cost 6.50 anywhere, and at a dive like they were at on the show it's probably gonna be the cheapest beer on the menu. I wouldn't pay more than 3 bucks. I buy 12 packs of bottles for 7 bucks all the time lol.

Old Style is good, but I mean it's just cheap Milwaukee river beer.

idk why that stood out to me, probably because it's one of my go-to beers, and I get that they were trying to create a setting because it's the Chicago beer and he's supposed to be in Cicero (practically Chicago), but obviously whoever write that scene must have just looked up "chicago beer" online and then priced it whatever beers cost where he lives because paying 6.50 for an old style is just ludicrous.

8. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

He bought two of them though... was it $6.50 for both, or each?

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Oh ..... I didn't realize that when I watching. Now I have no idea.

10. Carcaridon

Carcaridon SS.org Regular

Really enjoyed the first season of this show. Standout performances and a great storyline. Looking forward to season 2.

11. ftr

ftr SS.org Regular

has anyone else been watching the 2nd season?

12. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Absolutely. Looking forward to it every week. Can't wait for the season finale next week!

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

My only complaint, personally, is that the Mike and Jimmy story lines have diverged too much, so it's like watching two different shows playing at the same time.

Other than that, I quite like the show.

14. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

Loved Breaking Bad, consider it as one of the best shows ever made (might just be THE show for me), but didn't really get into this one. I just don't see Saul Goodman as a strong enough character to have his own show, I watched the first three episodes and just gave up.... Anyone here think it has taken a better direction later on?

Also heard that Steven Ogg (guy who played Trevor Phillips in GTA V) is in the show, just a minor side role I assume?

15. wankerness

I didn't really like season 1 besides the Mike episode, but season 2 has been really good. I am relieved that Kim is now one of the best characters on TV. In season 1 she seemed like yet another in the endless line of impossibly good-looking women that are inexplicably with slobby losers. In season 2, she's become one of the best-written women on TV and is surprisingly progressive (age/children are just never a concern).

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I'm really enjoying the second season, I've got burnt out on superhero/fantasy shows so it's a welcome change.

17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've enjoyed the show. There are two main story lines, which had some connection at one point, but now are completely separate: Jimmy McGill setting up his profession as a lawyer or flexible morals, and his battle with trying to maintain legitimacy; and Mike Ehrmantraut and his interaction with the Albuquerque underworld. The Jimmy thing seems to be developing slowly, but I can appreciate that. The Mike thing is a little more fast-paced, but still takes its time (BB was also known for that, it makes the action more savoury). I think the fact that people who saw BB already know where these two characters end up underlines the method of storytelling, but maybe that's just my own weird perception of it.

:agreed:

18. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

This show is amazing. I was on board with season 1, but I feel like I'm watching classic, Gilligan and co. television magic every week again with Season 2. I am not happy that it will be over on Monday.

As for the apparent divergence between Mike and Jimmy's storlines, I think it only seems that way at this point. If you go back to when Walt and Jesse take Saul out into the desert and threaten him, Saul says something to the effect of, "I swear it wasn't me, it was Ignacio!" Ignacio is Nacho. Especially when you consider the encounters/foreshadowing with Nacho and Tuco in season 1, it seems to me that Jimmy will inevitably get mixed up with the Cartel.

19. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Haha, that Ignacio thing is awesome. I had not noticed that, I didn't even know Nacho's real name was Ignacio. But it seems to make sense with where we are now :)

20. Hollowway

Yeah, I'm loving season 2. The show is getting to the point where I start to cringe and what is happening because it's so uncomfortable. It reminds me of breaking bad, where they film it and tell the story in a way that makes it like you're watching a car crash about to happen and can't do anything about it.
    I also love how the main characters are not 100% good or 100% bad in BB and BCS. Like, just when you think Chuck is an asshole and Jimmy is a good guy, the thing flips. Which is way more like real life than most movies/TV shows are.

And I agree that although it seems like Mike and Jimmy's stories are super unrelated, I'm assuming that the writers KNOW we know they end up together at the end (in BB). So it keeps our minds racing to figure out how they're going to intertwine again.

And regarding BB tie ins, anyone assuming Mike does something to Hector to put him in that wheelchair? That's what I'm thinking.