Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Adam Of Angels, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

So, who else scared about this? I'm a huge, huge Breaking Bad fan, and Saul was one of the best parts... However, I'm not convinced that an entire series based on him will work out. Part of what makes that character great is that you don't know much about him, and it makes him seem more interesting. Aside from that, the acting seems somehow awkward in all of the trailers I've seen.

What do you guys think?

2. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

It's a comedic spinoff, man. What do you expect?

Needs more Huell.

3. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I haven't seen any trailers and I'm looking forward to seeing this series. There's just hoping that it's really good.

4. Adam Of Angels

From what I understand, there's a bit more obvious comedy than BB had, since Saul is the main character, but it's still very much a drama with the same sort of tone as BB (with the exception of the main character not dying of cancer and turning into a sociopath).

5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm intentionally not reading anything about it or getting my hopes up. I'll watch it. If it's good, great, if it's another Lone Gunmen then I won't be let down!

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I really liked the Saul character, so I do have high hoped for it. Anyone know who the writers are? I'm hoping they're at least some of the same crew from BB. And when does it start? I guess I could google all the answers, but I'm already typing, so what the hell. :lol:

8. Adam Of Angels

Oh, it's the same brains behind Breaking Bad, so that's not an issue. It's just poised to be an entirely different show, considering the characters and drastically different story. I'll watch every episode regardless, I just hope it's not a disappointment.

I can't say for sure, but I've read in a few places that it takes place before, during, and after the events of BB. If anybody can pull this sort of thing off, it's Vince Gilligan and crew, but I'm still a little nervous.

9. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

I'm hoping it'll be good. No Huell tho?

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I would assume Huell is in. This is a prequel, so maybe he gets introduced later on, but I'd say they'd keep him because 1) He offers some continuity to build viewership, and 2) the actor playing him isn't a big enough name to hold out for a ridiculous amount of money, thereby getting himself written out of the show.

11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Switch out Breaking Bad for X-Files and all of this applies to Lone Gunmen, including Vince Gilligan, which is why I'm keeping things so tempered :lol:

Bob Odenkirk is great in an even more dramatic role on Fargo, btw. His character is a doofus that initially comes off as the stereotypical interfering incompetent police chief, but Odenkirk infuses him with such warmth and humanity that you at first can't dislike the guy and eventually end up kind of loving him. He's obviously perfect for the character on Breaking Bad, but Fargo shows what he's capable of doing when given a character with a bit more depth and range. I'm not sure if they'd change his character up enough for him to be able to display any of that aspect of his acting ability, though, since Saul most definitely was not a sensitive guy in any way on BB (well, apart from not wanting to get injured).

12. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Fargo was incredible. The police chief (odenkirk) was such a sweet guy, that was stuck in those old better days when you could trust people.

13. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

Saul was hands down the best character in Breaking Bad. That guy stole every scene he was in. If they can keep that sort of quality, it'll be good. :yesway:

14. Adam Of Angels

Again, though, it was always because of the mystique - he'd come in and you can't help but think, "man, this guy is such a character.... God only knows what he does when we're not in the same room as him." This show may very well take that away from him. However, I have faith in Gilligan and Co.

15. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

I'm pretty interested to see how Saul's other clients are :p

16. wat

wat SS.org Regular

I hope they aren't scared to make this show super hilarious just because it's a BB spinoff.

This show needs to be gut-busting funny, imo.

17. Jake

Jake GAS Master Contributor

I really enjoyed the pilot last night and am looking forward to tonights new episode as well. Of course I fvcking loved Breaking Bad so seeing a couple of the characters from it already made me pretty happy :lol:

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'm looking forward to it. And, not for nothin', it's snowing outside, I have no desire to go anywhere, and AMC is running the last several episodes of Breaking Bad leading up to the replay of the premier and the second episode. Should be a good night.

19. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I too enjoyed it very much. I've got to wonder what it's like for people who never watched breaking bad though.
    We already know all about Tuco being a crazy druglord kingpin, or soon to be?
    and other people just think oh no, who's this bad guy?

20. Jake

Jake GAS Master Contributor

Two of my friends never finished breaking bad and after I explained they have decided to go watch it :lol: