Best Way to Sell Vinyl Records

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mark Lykkos, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Mark Lykkos

Mark Lykkos SS.org Regular

I got me some vinyl records in very nice condition. Not mint, but not ratty either. I'm talking about original pressings of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours," Queen's "News of the World," The Doors, Chic, a lot of those kinds of artists.

I'm looking to sell a few of these in order to afford some new recording gear for myself. But I don't know where the best place to sell them is? My first inclination is ebay, but if there is a better place, I'd like to use that instead. Any help would be appreciated!

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Discogs.

zappatton2 and Chiba666 like this.
  3. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Most old albums are worthless. I wont pay more than $5 or so. There are millions and millions of them. You might be able to trick an idiot hipster into paying about $10 a pop.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

:rofl:

5. Mark Lykkos

I'll check that out, thanks!

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:2c: You will get a better price selling them to a local guy with a record player who wants to listen to them than you will from any of the following:

1. Any collector, who is likely looking for unopened unplayed copies that were only stored in a cool dry environment. These guys want minty mint condition and low prices, so they can resell later at a higher price.
    2. Any stores, who will give you pennies on the dollar, knowing that no one will likely buy the discs for the next five years, and therefore, they'll have to hold onto them, increasing their overhead.
    3. Online shoppers, who can click the back button if your price is not the lowest out there.

So, do a quick search and see what the going rate for option #3 is. Don't match that price, but be cognizant of it.

I tried to sell some records a few years ago, and ultimately decided not to. People around me were simply not willing to pay what they were worth to me.

AxeHappy likes this.
  7. Mark Lykkos

Great advice, thank you!