Best value cheap-midrange cables?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MechyKola, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

Ok i have been looking to get some new cables for guitar, but I only have £15-25 to spend. Fender and Planet Waves custom shop cables seem to be the best value for money. I have looked at videos comparing different high-end cables and i like mogami and esp custom shop cables the most. What would you reccomend? (I'm looking for 2-4m)

Bonus question: Do XLR cables get affected (high-end drop off) by length and quality just like standard ts cables?:scratch:

2. zipline7020

zipline7020 SS.org Regular

Yes length will cause high end drop off, but as far as high quality cables: copper is copper.

As long as there's sturdy connections and good shielding, you're good. Don't fall into the trap that expensive, vaccum packed, ionized, ultra Rez cables are any different.

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I think the planet waves are good bang for the buck . not the cheapest but all the ones I own have been quality long lasting cables and I'm tough on cables

4. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

Planet wave american stage are great and you can find them at most guitar stores.

5. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Does monoprice have UK distribution, or an equivalent entity?

6. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

^^^ This.

Just get durable, well made cables.

7. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

Just make some yourself. Cheaper, perfect length and better quallity (mostly).

8. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

I'm going to throw in the standard 'buy a soldering iron, solder, van damme cable and switchcraft jacks' comment; because once you do, you won't go back.

I worked out I'd roughly break even or be slightly worse off compared to buying my pedalboard's cables - although they'd be perfect length.

Then I repaired my £90 headphones in several minutes which would have cost £30-40 to send away to be fixed and was immediately quids-in.

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

What causes the high frequency roll off from cables is the amount of capacitance the cable has. There are two ways to increase capacitance: use a longer cable or use a cable with a higher capacitance per foot/meter. The high frequency roll off is a combination of the two. So you're right that vacuum-packed (and other marketing gimmicks) cables won't do anything, but higher capacitance will roll off more high end from your guitar (most makers will state the capacitance per foot/meter if you look).

As for inexpensive, off the shelf cables, the Fender and Planet Waves are good bang for the buck cables. But I'm in the "make your own" camp on this when possible.

10. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

The issue is while planet waves gets lots of reviews, fender custom shop doesn't seem to have any, but my friend recommends FCS. Also the solder would be an option, but i have lots of smaller siblings and my parents aren't too fond of solder in the house (i'm 15). Also i can't seem to find specific capacitance for either cable, which looks a bit dodgy to me

11. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Heat the soldering iron and thrust it towards your parents if they attempt to remove it.

12. tylerpond05

tylerpond05 Mormon Metalhead

If your buying premade cables, look at the warranty as well. Most midrange cables have a lifetime warranty, you just take it to a distributor shop and swap it out. Just something to keep in mind.

13. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

I've been using PW since they came out...they were cheap back then, not so much anymore. I recently started using live wires, which are guitar centers house brand cables. They come with a lifetime replacement warranty. They perform as well as anything else Ive had, and theyre cheap. I find that Sweetwater offers lots of ProCo cables, too, that are great and inexpensive.

14. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

The best reasonable priced high end cables I ever bought are MIT cables from Switzerland ... thankfully a local dealer has them.

Not many dealers have them though.

Edit: It's MTI, not MIT.

15. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

yeah, but that's america, and all guitar equipment is like 40% cheaper. What specific planet waves cables are the best value for money?

16. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Are you just looking for a couple regular 2-4m leads or are you patching up a pedal board?

For leads, I'd go with Fender over PW. At 2m, you're not going to have any noticeable effect on tone; quality construction becomes the priority so they can hold up to being stepped on, yanked, etc without going crackly and having to be replaced. Out in the 4m range, it will start to be noticeable. You may be able to compensate with a little more treble EQed in, or it might be a real issue for you. Higher end cables can help. Mostly though, I'd recommend sticking with the shortest length that's practical.

If you're setting up a pedalboard, it's worth getting the soldering iron and doing it that way. The goal is again to keep everything as short as possible and to have really solid connections everywhere with cable that isn't going to flake out on you (trying to find the one intermittently faulty patch cable on a large board will drive you mad).

17. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Sorry, there's typo ... MTI is the name!

There is a German distributor in Hamburg:

https://digitalaudioservice.com/?___store=english

Maybe ask them, if they also send to UK. I think, 14€ for a 3 meter high end guitar cable is worth the hassle, right?

18. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

I see, ill see what I can do with soldering, im going for 3m

19. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I case you mean MTI cables ... the one I was talking of is 3m and comes preconfigured with good plugs. So no soldering needed.

German parts distributor Rockinger has it listed too (article number 90110), but the above distributor from Hamburg is much cheaper.

| Rockinger Guitars - Webshop for guitars, guitar parts, supplies for making guitars, effects pedals, strings, and accessories for guitars and basses

PS: The original article number by MTI is MIK 122 TP70, which is also printed on my cables.

20. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

To me, the best "middle of the road" is anything with a lifetime warranty that's not a small gauge. If you can walk into most music stores (I see you're not in North America) and get a free replacement, that is the cable I'd suggest.

My planet waves keep breaking, and I keep getting them replaced. That said I have to wait for the replacement if it's not a 20ft or 10ft double-straight, which is annoying.