Best Sub 1K Bargain?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Carl Kolchak, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I'm looking to get a new 7 string, but am hopelessly out of touch w/ what's out there atm. I'm looking to spend under 1K and would prefer to find something used so as to stretch that dollar to quality ratio as much as I can. I'm leaning more towards Ibanez, as I just like playing them most, but will certainly consider any and all options. Only thing I'm really determined on are passives and TOM bridges. Other than that....

2. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

If you are stuck on Ibanez the only 7 string they make with a tune-o-matic bridge is the Ibanez k7 apex2 and the Ibanez arz 7 string. Brands like schecter and Ltd use tune-o-matics more often

3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Late ‘90s Korean made stuff from Schecter and LTD used tuneomatic bridges often and are almost absurdly well built for what they cost now. You can find them for just a few hundred dollars but they play really well from the ones I’ve had.

MaxAidingAres is right that Ibanez does use the tuneomatic that often. The Apex2 and ARZ are the only ones that come to mind.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The Xiphos 7s had the TOM style Gibraltar bridges.

But you're right, there's not a lot of really great TOM Ibanez 7s.

If it was my money, and absolutely needed a TOM, I'd grab an ESP NT7. They go for a bit more than the OP's budget, and they have actives stock, but you're not going to find better construction or fretwork with a TOM for under $2k. There's one for $1200 on Reverb right now.

If you can't budge on the price, I'd grab an Agile Septor. Tons of options to choose from, and the quality is up there with Schecter and LTD.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  5. Carl Kolchak

The TOM bridge is the ideal, but I'll go w/ a Hipshot. The only thing that's a definite "no-go" are tremelos.

I'm usually keeping an eye on Agile's page, but their non-tremolo 7s always seem to have the bridge pup positioned too far forward.

As for brands, an Ibby would be my first choice, but if there's something better out there for the price then I'll seriously consider that.

6. MaxOfMetal

If you're flexible on the type of fixed bridge and want an Ibby, it's hard to go wrong with an RG7621 or RG7421. Great guitars, a little plain looking, but they're legendary Japanese made work horses. You can still nab them for <$500, which is a bargain. If you're good at hunting for deals, you can find them for <$300. They often have upgraded pickups too.

There's one with some dings on the body on Reverb for about $450 with DiMarzio and BKP pickups it already.

Vyn and Carl Kolchak like this.
  7. Carl Kolchak

I'm all over it. Thanks.

8. MaxOfMetal

One thing to watch out for, because Ibanez is kind of stupid, they reused the "RG7421" name.

So if you find an RG7421, make sure it's a Japanese one from the late 90's/early 00's. The serial number should start with an "F".

The RG7421s from 2013 onward are cheaper, entry-level guitars.

Dineley and Carl Kolchak like this.
  9. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Jericho imo are the best bang for your buck sub 1K right now, this one I just bought is $599 -

http://jerichoguitars.com/product/fusion-7-ignition/

Quality parts like hipshot bridges and locking tuners, name brand pickups on some models, bolt on, set neck, neck thru options, built in the WMI Korea factory like PRS SE, Chapman, LTD, etc etc etc

If you're set on a TOM bridge I Highly recommend giving them an Email as they have a few with TOM's but none on the actual site in 7 string.

But there are sometimes things that aren't on the site yet, I emailed last year and picked up a prototype maple boarded fusion 7 that wasn't on the site.

Highly recommend them.

10. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I've been eyeballing that Multiscale Prism pretty hard. Seems extremely low cost for the specs you get. Just wonder how they play and sound.

11. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

Is there any reason why you're set on a new guitar?

You can get great deals for used (schecter km7 is my vote)

12. Carl Kolchak

25" scale on a 7 string? 27" on their 8s? I'd say Agile has them beat on that count.

Hollowway likes this.
  13. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

They sell direct like carvin/kiesel so there is no distribution fees.

Quality is on par with any other Korean guitar.

Mine had its small marks from product but over all it was built like a tank, looked gorgeous and sounded like a beast.

I'll be doing an ngd for my new one when it arrives, but for the price and specs I highly recommend them.

14. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I have the Elite 7. It plays great but I hate the DiMarzio Titans. No complaints other than what appears to be slight discoloration in the fretboard binding on one fret and the fact that the satin finish feels a little rough in some places. Oh, and for some reason despite mine being picture with a gold knob that fit the overall look of the guitar, I got sent one with a black knob. $3 fix though. Action is SUPER low on these without buzzing. So low that I may raise it because I'm just not used to it and I play with a heavy hand. The low profile/height string pegs that are part of the locking tuners are pretty cool too. I'd recommend them if you dig what they have available when you're wanting to buy. I really wanted the dark flame top they had on their Fluence 8 but it wasn't available in a 7-string at the time.

[​IMG]

My 7-string from them is 26.5". Depends on the model you choose to buy.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  15. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I don't believe they do many 25" if at all. A lot of theirs is 26. 5+ even in 6 strings as their main market when they started out was baritone.

You can get 25.5 and 27 on their 7s I believe, I just ordered the 27" for myself, specified it in the notes, and was then contacted asking what tuning I wanted it setup in.

I like their designs and specs a lot more than agile, if not I'd just order a Solar from here in Europe and negate the customs fees. But Jerichos, specs, quality VS price makes them well worth the import for me. I can't say if make the same decision about agile.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

If you can find one, a used EII horizon would kick the crap out of pretty much any newer offerings for the pricepoint.

17. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Correction, my Elite 7 Satin White is 27" scale

18. Carl Kolchak

I'm debating on whether to pull the pin on a used 7621, or pay they extra for a Prestige.

19. MaxOfMetal

Which Prestige? Most are going to be about the same overall quality of materials and craftsmanship. The only thing is going to be how used (or abused) the older non-Prestige is.

Carl Kolchak likes this.