Best Studio Load Box Currently?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by SalsaWood, Sep 2, 2017.

1. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

I'm moving from digital back to tube amps and am seeking a load box for recording, with amps under 150w. I'm looking for "best" as in which one would be the most transparent, reliable, and useful for all guitar tones. I don't need onboard cab/speaker sim features. Price range is up to around $2k, though I really just want the best of the basic utility.

2. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I got in on the pre-order for the Two Notes Captor. Have a look. I think its gonna be awesome. Very affordable too.

3. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

That's the product I have been leaning toward, it definitely stands out as one of the most popular, and Two Notes has been frequently mentioned as the likely go-to for what I need. Biggest positives that I can see would be their Wall of Sound III plug-in that has cab sims and it's ability to be an attenuator or DI load box. The only downside is that the current version seems to be rated for amps up to 100W.

4. buriedoutback

I only run my 5150 at 2.5-3 volume-wise live. You'll never run your amp full-bore (all 120 watts or 150 watts or whatever) so the 100 watt rating on the Captor won't be an issue. I don't know all the tech behind amp watts and volume, but 3/10 on a 5150 seems like it would be 30% of 120 watts... so i'm thinking like 36 watts? I know there are people on here who can clarify/confirm the numbers. I'm definitely not worried though.

5. buriedoutback

Glenn Fricker posted a message about the captor being the best option for home recording (something like that) so I'm sure fluff/ola/trey/etc will have vids up soon on youtube.

6. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

Oh ok good, I just watched his review of the live rack unit as liked the sound of it. I'll keep an eye out.

Highest amp I have is 120W, yea I'll never put it past about 75-80% in any case. If it would still be ok to use it within those parameters I would probably do that I think.

7. buriedoutback

^^ Ya I think you'll be good.

The place I ordered mine says on their site: "Pre-orders will be shipped the week of Sept. 11, sooner if possible." So I'm getting excited to record!

The stock cabs that WoS III comes with look kinda weak, so I'll be buying their oversize mesa 412 cab for sure. Maybe an engl cab too.