Best Selling 7 String of All Time

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ohmanthisiscool, Mar 2, 2018.

1. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

I was thinking about this the other day and was curious as to what the best selling/ most popular 7 string of all time is. I figured the best place to get opinions and or information on this, is here. So what do you guys think? Personally I think its the ltd sc-607b. I have seen countless bands using them in studio and on stage. And even john 5 has one hahaha. I think it was a gift from Stef, but still. They have been in production for about 15 years and you can find them all over the place. I know guitars from Ibanez were huge sellers early on so they may have actual bigger numbers, but after the great 7 string fall of the late 90's early 2000's I think the ltd sc-607b has been pretty much the go to guitar. I know mid 2000's early 2010's the Ibanez 7321 was EVERYWHERE!! It was a lot of guys starter 7 string, but that was only for a few years. I'd like to make a thread on what is the most popular starter 7 string, but that may have been done before. Anyway, please feel free to chime in with opinions or figures that can be discussed. I'm very interested in seeing what you guys think.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The RG7321 by a mile. It was in continuous, full production and available globally for over a decade. Priced low as well.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure though.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Probably an Ibanez of the Steve -Vai variety, or maybe the JP7? Then again the JP May have been price-prohibitive until the used market grew.

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

They were all very expensive and therefore sold less. See below:

^ That.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've seen a lot of RG7's out in the wild. From a distance, it's hard to tell them apart sometimes, but that'd be my guess, one of the Ibanez RG7's.

6. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Ibanez RG7, although I'd guess a few of the Schecter low end models like Demon/Damien would be close. Still see loads of those on eBay for about £200 from various years.

7. Mathemagician

Yeah I posted at like the exact same time and when I saw his I was like “ok that one” and left it up. Lol.

NAACP Man and ArtDecade like this.
  8. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Haha, I saw the thread title and immediately thought "surely it's the RG7321"

I bought one more than 10 years ago. My first 7 string, and I didn't buy another 7 until just last year. I've seen at least two others out in the wild. Never seen the LTD Stephen carpenter anywhere outside of guitar stores.

Matt08642 likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Gibson fan fret baritone Les Paul 7

or a BC Rich Warbeast 7 with "scratch and sniff" tribal vinyls

10. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

My first 7 was an RG7421 and I absolutely hated it lol. But my point is, the most 7 strings I see (especially for their first) are the RG7321 and RG7421. They are rather cheap and are decently good looking for the price.

11. ohmanthisiscool

^ all good stuff. It might be a regional thing but I mostly see schecter and Ltd 7's in the wild. I've actually seen a good number of loomis 7's, the first run he did in that red satin, guys around here were eating that up. Almost 100% of the time I see a 7 with a Floyd. I haven't seen many rg7's in my area. I know a lot of guys on here bought them, similar to the rg8, and modded them. They are great guitars to mod.

12. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

RG7321 or maybe like a Schecter Omen. I've seen a lot of Schecter Hellraisers and BlackJacks for sale through the years but they are probably too expensive to be best selling.

13. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

100% would buy it.

lewis likes this.
  14. Mathemagician

Too bad Gibson would only offer it from their Historic Custom shop in tobacco burst and regular sunburst, with a brown fretboard and a “21st century bridge that magnetically tightens your strings to the saddle” but requires two D batteries, and a robo nut that adjusts to “perfectly intonate” the note you’re playing. Don’t ask about what happens when you play a chord.

Robo-nut will not be cut to any string gauge whatsoever and bridge will not allow action lower than a traditional slide guitar.

MSRP $8,999

15. ohmanthisiscool

^ sad but true lol

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

RG7321

I sold bucket loads of these things when Ibanez had them in production. I’d say the RG would be one of the biggest contribution to the fact that you have a list of dedicated players with a broad fanbase.

Everyone I sold went to those players.

17. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

RG7321, I've had two of them :lol: and every Ibanez player at least one.

Type_R3387 likes this.
  18. Type_R3387

Type_R3387 SS.org Regular

I've gotta agree with the multiple posters who stated the RG7321. It was my first 7, many of my friends as well and was available at a decent price point for the better part of a decade. It was also a decent workhorse for the money (provided you didn't get any of the dreaded Indo issues at the time).

19. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Some random guy bought a used RG7321 as his first seven string, and he sold it to me as my first seven string, and I sold it to someone I sort of kept up with as their first seven string and they sold it to someone else as their first seven string.

While I'm also in the camp that the RG7321 is the best selling seven string of all time, there's probably a lot less of them out there than we think.

Dineley likes this.
  20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Watch a video of 7-string covers on Youtube.

99% chance it'll be an Ibanez RG7321 or some kinda Korn sig model.

Dineley likes this.