Best scale length for C# below F#?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Hollowway, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

OK, I don't know what the Hell I'm thinking, but I'm considering ordering one of Tom Drinkwater's 10 string fanned beasts. I'll do C#-A, so I really need quite the range of scale length. So, ERG guys out there (and I'm looking at you, Adam!:cool:) what should be the fan? 26-30? 25-29? 26-29? I like a very guitar-like tone for the low strings, so I want to keep it long and thin-stringed on that end, but I don't want to be fussing with snapping a bunch of GG strings for the high A (I mean, I know I'll have to use them, I just don't want to be pushing it, length wise). TIA

2. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

Well as I recall, Adam said that the A4 string used for 25.5" scale is (basically) the same as the string used for 27" scale, with that in mind I'd go for 30-26.

3. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

26-30something (maybe 32.5" at most)

4. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity

I'd go for a 4.5 inch fan or maybe 5 inch. 4.5 is perfectly comfortable on a 9 string (I tried fingering templates under my guitar strings). Hit up Fretfind2D and see how much you can manage. I would definately not go less than 30".

5. Deadseen

Deadseen SS.org Regular

Scale 30"

C1# .084" NW == 14.04#

That is not a lot of tension and way to thick string to be able to play comfortable anyway

Scale 34"

C1# .074" NW == 14.22#

That is still a big string but I guess some people can live with it.

Scale 40"

C1# .064" NW == 14.92#

That sounds more like a guitar. I tried 064 on my sevenstring and it was just at the border of turning to distorted bass instead of guitar, 068 sounded like a bass in my ears. But having a 40" sounds pretty hard to do, you would have to build some sort of therbo string or altoguitar solution then.

6. Hollowway

Yeah, I think 30" is probably my limit. I want to also have a high A on it, so a 26-30" fan is likely the only solution. I was wondering if a 29" could handle the low C#, but I don't think it will, based on my experience with my 8 stringers. But now you've got me wondering what a huuuuuge fan might look like. How weird a 34-26" fan would look!:lol:

7. Scarpie

Scarpie SS.org Regular

4" fans are the limit for most guitarists. Any wider of a fan and it's physically uncomfortable to play the instrument.

8. Durero

Durero prototyping...

Longer the better for the low string, and don't hesitate to mockup some extreme fans using FretFind-2D printout onto cardboard or scrap-wood.

I find 45 degree angles at the 1st fret and the highest fret to be totally acceptable.

For my taste I'd probably go 28" to 37", but no-one else can tell you what's going to be comfortable for your hands. You have to do the mockup groundwork yourself. To order a custom instrument without doing so is insanity in my opinion.

I understand your intention Scarpie, but this is way too oversimplified to be helpful - it's the range of fret angles that's crucial and that depends completely on the overall specs including number of strings, string spacing at nut & bridge, then finally the ratio of lengths between the highest and lowest strings and where the straight fret is.

For example, 32" to 36" fan on a 6-string bass is pretty mild imo, but 20"-24" fan on a narrow-spaced 4-string banjo would be much more extreme and likely unplayable for most.

Hollowway likes this.
  9. Hollowway

Hey, thanks for the info. So are you saying, if you were getting an instrument like this, you'd do a fan from 28-37"? If that's the case, I'll completely rethink the 4" fan maximum. And thanks for the advice - I will work on the template to play around with it.:yesway:

EDIT: Crap! Fretfind is down, and it says they're "reevaluating their web-hosting needs." Any other programs that perform the same function?

10. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity

Fretfind is being hosted on Cigar Box. I panicked too at first :lol:
    fretfind - Google Search

A few links down.

28-37" I'd say is definately ridiculous but it's up to the individual. I've found my comfortable limit to be 0.5" per string. I.e. 4" on an 8 string, 4.5" on a 9 string. So I'd go for 5" on a 10 string. (Talking guitar string spacing - not bass).
    As said, string spacing needs to be considered too but this is assuming standard spacing.
    Here is the fretboard for my 9 string design - 24.75"-29.25" (4.5" fan).
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hollowway likes this.
  11. Durero

Durero prototyping...

Great post Ethereal and thanks for the new FretFind link :yesway:

12. Hollowway

Cool, thanks for that input! I'm going to check that out and see about a 5" fan and how that feels. Maybe I'll do 25.5-30.5.:metal: