Best retro games?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Michikawa, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

^Heretic was a lot of fun! I always through they were Mummys too, looks like they had bandages wrapped around them.

I like a lot of old games but ones that I've replayed countless times and still regularly do are:
    Fallout 1 + 2 + Tactics
    Baldurs Gate 1 + 2
    DOOM, Hexen and Heretic
    Kyrandia 1 + 2

:agreed:

I spent endless hours as a kid playing Fallout and Baldurs Gate. I still do a play through every year or two of each of those games, now that BG has the enhanced editions its just brought them to life again. They inspired a lot of "spiritual successors" but they just don't come close.

neotronic likes this.
  2. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Some of my favourite games are associated with memories of growing up.

1. Repton - loved the Through Time game. Played on an Acorn Archimedes A3000.
    2. ATF - A scrolling fighter game we played on my grandad's green screen Amstrad in the late 80s/early 90s. Pretty average game but great times.
    3. Civilisation - played this on my girlfriend's laptop back in the mid-90s. A few years later she became my wife! 14 years later, we still fire up a game of the newer Civs every now and again (The Romans Are Revolting!)

However, top for me is Half-life - 20 years old this coming year. Everything else pales in comparison for me, when viewed in the light of this game.

3. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Super Metroid!
    Such a great game, I had to buy a SNES just to play it again. I think its time for another playthrough...

4. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

There are so many... but my favourites of them are probably:
    Master of Orion 2. Might not even be so great when played now, didn't play it for 10 or 15 years or so, but at the time, colonizing the galaxy, designing your own ships, researching new technologies, it was perfect.
    Half-Life. It has aged rather great. It was absolutly mindblowing back then, and while some gameplay mechanics (and obviously the graphics) are dated, it's still great fun.
    Might & Magic 4 & 5. Except for Kerbal Space Program (where a lot of the time went into waiting), I don't think I spend nearly as much time in any other game. Ever.
    Descent 1 & 2. This one only recently came back to my memory, found it on Steam... the screen resolution is catastrophic, but otherwise... it still plays great.

And then there are also the two first Fallouts, Diablo, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Command & Conquer, Archimedean Dynasty (which if I'm not mistaken went rather unnoticed, though my memory tells me it was great :D ), The Settlers, Sim City, the original Prince of Persia, Jazz Jackrabbit...

Strobe likes this.