Best Places To Live For A Better Quality Of Life

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Zepp88, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

Yes.

What places are known for their quality of life? Things like plenty of nicely paying and interesting jobs nearby, without much traffic and hubbub, but with a friendly atmosphere with plenty to do.

Some place with a good music scene.

Plus what places have the most affordable cost of living vs. nicely paying jobs in the area.

:agreed:

g3rmanium likes this.
  2. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

[​IMG]

Ålesund in norway.

3. Zepp88

Oh my god that's one beautiful town...

I'm trying to stay in the country though, it's so hard and expensive to move to a different country, and to get past the language barriers.

Plus, as young as I am and with the current income I have it's just not feasible.

4. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

To bad, cause you can survive in a Scandinavian country with just english, we are forced to learn it in school and everybody under 55 knows it.

But a place to live in usa, hmmm, I don't know about that, your country is full of evil-doers and Mormons.

What about maine ?

5. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

I don't think there is a place like that.

If there is good paying jobs, there will be traffic. Where there's traffic, there is less of a friendly atmosphere.

My opinion of course.

That being said, Cape Breton, NovaScotia, Canada has the nicest people you will ever meet :)scott:) but there's no music scene. A good compromise would be Halifax, NovaScotia. Less friendly, (Still pretty friendly in comparison to other places) but better music scene, and better jobs.

[action=Scott]misses Nova Scotia.[/action]

6. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

What do you think about alberta ? There are some nice places there. smaller communities and such.

7. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

My ex is out west. Thus, it is the fifth circle of hell. And Alberta suffers for it.

8. Zepp88

If I were to move to a different country I would make a strong effort to speak the native language and use English very sparingly. It's just respectful to the native population.

9. Zepp88

Friendly people really isn't a huge concern of mine. And as far as traffic goes, I live and work in Northern Virginia, and it really doesn't get any worse. "Bad traffic" in many places might be not so bad to me.

I have seriously thought about moving to Canada, but I do want to avoid moving to a different country, it's just so far...

10. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

Tell that to the thousand of german tourist that invades the north each summer :D, Thank god they force us to learn german in school.

11. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

"1. Charlottesville, VA

Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, most areas of this idyllic city are accessible by foot or bicycle. Charlottesville enjoys clean air and water, and pleasant weather year-round, highlighted by especially beautiful fall foliage. Nearby Shenandoah National Park offers a wealth of recreation opportunities. Charlottesville is home to the University of Virginia, which strengthens the area's healthy economy by providing steady jobs and a wealth of amenities and entertainment. Homes are not cheap (median home price $225,000), but the cost of living is manageable. The city's low unemployment rate and significant recent job growth promise continued prosperity. As more and more people learn about this year's best city, Charlottesville may find staying affordable and sprawl-free is its greatest challenge! "

Corvallis, OR

Corvallis is home to Oregon State University and hence many young singles. Technology stalwart Hewlett-Packard has a major presence here, which helps explain the city's low unemployment rate and impressive recent job growth. The presence of OSU and HP has created something of an intellectual center-- over 20% of its residents have earned a graduate or professional degree. The fertile Willamette Valley was the destination of 19th-century settlers from the Midwest, and since then has retained a peaceful agrarian feel. Summers are sublime and the winters are mild, if a bit wet. For recreation, the rugged Oregon coast is a 90 minutes to the west, the nearby Cascade range offers great skiing, and Portland is about 100 miles to the North. Considering it's affordability ($194,800 median home price), Corvallis presents an attractive mix of youth, intellectualism, and natural beauty.

PAPILLION:
    Median home price (2006): $173,774
    Average property taxes (2005): $3,071
    Pros: Outdoor recreation, growing local economy

A small suburb about 12 miles from downtown Omaha, Papillion has grown and prospered along with the city, an increasingly important center of finance and insurance. Though Papillion's population is on the rise, its draws remain the same: low crime, good schools and a vast expanse of parkland. Recently, Papillion has spent more than half a million dollars renovating the historic downtown, putting in new sidewalks, faux-antique street lighting and ironwork accents.

12. Zepp88

Both of those towns sound nice. Charlottesville is not too far from where I live...

13. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

Take a drive up there and see if you like it.

14. Zepp88

Yeah I should. I haven't been to Charlottesville in a long time...

I know that I found a lot of small German towns very pleasant in the way they where built, but that says nothing of the quality of life...

15. g3rmanium

g3rmanium NullPointerException

I was in Strasbourg a couple of times and liked it. The Alsace is nice.

The east of Germany is still cheap, I guess.

Yeah, Munich, hm... There are a bunch of nice spots a little outside of Munich. Dunno.

Hm.

16. Zepp88

Have you ever been to Prien? I really liked that little town, and Friedrichroda is nice as well.

Trying to stay in the states though....:wallbash:

17. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

:lol: Yeah, that's how I feel about Phoenix, AZ...

Good guy! We have a HUGE problem with that here in south Texas. Everywhere I go, everyone is babbling in Spanish. Sometimes it's hard for me to get things done just because the only language I know is my own country's native language. It's sad.

Ålesund does look rather tempting...

18. Zepp88

Exactly, I really don't have a problem with native Spanish speakers, but out of respect to the American citizens they should just learn English...it's not much to ask.

Just as if I was to move to Mexico, or Spain, or anywhere else where Spanish is spoken I would learn Spanish. It's just respectful and easier for everyone.

When I was in Germany and at least made the effort to speak German, they were impressed and gracious enough to try to speak what English they knew to help me out. :shrug:

It's just the polite thing to do...

19. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Exactly. If I was moving to another country, I wouldn't even want to try to get by without knowing the native language. If they're at least trying, I'll give them some slack, but most of them have the attitude that they can waltz in here without knowing a word of English and that everyone will cater to them. What's even more sad is that they're right. :noplease: