Best overdrive for a Fender Twin R. 65

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ThePuritan, Dec 8, 2018 at 9:07 AM.

1. ThePuritan

ThePuritan SS.org Regular

Hello everyone, I recently bought a Twin Reverb, it’s loud, crispy and clean and I love it. But I was wondering if any of you owns one, what is the best overdrive pedal or series of pedals to obtain a decent distortion.

I have a Line 6 POD HD 500X which has become useless because it’s main thing is the amp cabinet simulation.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Weird you're not into the POD, I think the effects and preamps/amp in the unit trounce the cab sims.

You didn't say a price range or a specific tone you're going for, I'll assume "not a lot" and "metal". Grab an AMT preamp pedal that aligns with what you want.

3. ThePuritan

The POD is amazing when used with the amp sim. But since the Twin has no effect loop I have to run the POD throuythe front and that causes severe feedback issues mostly with distortion. I I’m looking for a warm sustain lead. Probably a similar texture as Steve Vai

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Turn down your gain then? Less high end?

For pedals, fulltone ocd.

5. ThePuritan

I’ve been looking into a Fulltone, looks like the answer! It’s not a gain issue. When you hookup the POD then you are basically using two amps one against the other. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve been thinking using the POD no Amp Sim as modulation, reverb, compression, delay etc and using an external pedal for overdrive,

6. budda

The pod should have dirt pedals in there too. I think the fulltone will likely sound better, but you should have useable dirt in the 500x.

People run preamp pedals into amps and they dont have feedback issues unless theres a) too much gain b) microphonic pickup c) bad cables or jacks.

7. ThePuritan

Mmm, well today I will take my twin outside the house since the garage it’s not very sound friendly and crank it while I workout soñé effects.

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

What tone are you looking for and what is your price? I have adound 90+ dirt pedals and my pedal rig was a Tone King Sky King (Fender Tweed 50/60 + early Marshall lead) or Kendrick Custom (59 Bassman), so I'm familiar with what sounds good with your amp.

Some great ones off the top of my head:

OCD - overall great early to mid Marshall tones. You can also buy a Keeley D&M and get OCD+Klon together.

Snouse Blackbox v2 - best bluesbreaker clone with modern switch and boost. I run two bluesbreakers in series often with a TS as well.

Kingtone (Jesse Davey) Duellist - SRV/Hendrix tones in a box. TS and dirt with a crazy amount of chugg I havent heard in any other pedal that is this clear. 10/10

Any TS type pedal - required. Turns the Fender into a beast for leads. Stacks well with bluesbreaker.

MI Audio Megalith Delta - works with any amp and turns it into a 10/10 metal beast. No low or mid gain settings, only heavy and heavier.

Henretta Choad (AKA Chord) Master - marshall dirt and fuzz. Great for thickening up chords and singing leads

ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud - best triangle muff ever. Tight low end and super quiet. Nails David Gilmour tones.

VFE Merman or Mermaid - Klon clones. Low gain dirt with tons of character. Nails tones like John Mayer.

AMT mini drive series pedals - e.g. P2 mini nails modern and EVH Peavey 5150 tones... And they're cheap at $60-72 new.

Tech21 OMG RK - hotrodded 5150/Soldano sounding with a built in boost. Very liquidy leads and killer rhythm tones. Just like Ritchie Kotzen, so underrated.

Anyways... some of these like the Mermaid, OCD, TS... they work with the magic tones of the Fender and tease out more magical ones. Others like the Megalith Delta or AMT P2 will just convert your amp to do their thing. Just FYI.

9. ThePuritan

Thank you for your detailed information, this is going to help me a lot. I’ve been playing for almost 40 years, but I always had a solid state amp along with some effect unit like the POD and before that the Boss GT series. I almost never had analog effects. A few months ago I bought my first tube amp and I did it because my band mate who also plays guitar will bury me with his 40watt fender. I had a Peavey 112 and would not stand up to the tube amp. So I got this Twin reverb 80watts and my power problems are gone. But now I need to find that sound that will work with my little monster. I am not looking for metal feeling, nor the srv sound but mostly a tone not over distorted yet enough compression to maintain a good sustain.

USMarine75 likes this.
  10. budda

I think you will be quite pleased with the ocd then.

11. ThePuritan

Yes I think the combination that USMarine75 suggested OCD+Klon might do it.

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Why not just make a set of presets in the POD that use only dirt/effects and leave out the amp and cab modeling? That'll give you basically the same thing as using dirt pedals into the front of the Twin.

Otherwise, Tubescreamer, OCD, and Bluesbreaker circuits are great into clean amps like yours :yesway:

13. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I'll agree with others here...

Your POD should have some very good 'dirt boxes'
    already in it. No need to spend more money.

14. ThePuritan

It’s possible, I am creating a new patch as we speak but I realize that I need to crank it up to the same level I use at stage. It’s been so many times that it sounds great at home and when I hurt to crank my amp to 3 or 4 the mist there’s either too much bass or feed back or whatever.

15. budda

I would still buy the ocd.

My fx8 doesnt quite nail it. The reason I dont have the ocd anymore is moving to an A/B setup.

16. ThePuritan

I’ve separated an OCD and a TS9 to use together, what do you think? By the way there are 4 versions of the OCD

17. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

If you can get a good sound at bedroom volume, then you can usually make it work at stage volume with some minor tweaking. More mids, less bass, maybe add a gate to tame the feedback. You can also experiment with different settings on the amp in addition to tweaking the POD

ThePuritan likes this.
  18. budda

Should be fine. I don't know what version of the OCD I had was, I just know it sounded pretty damn good.

ThePuritan likes this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Twins aren't exactly known for being quiet and tight, it's actually the gritty, booming and fuzzy distortion that made them famous. They do that "amp sounds like it's about to explode" tone perfectly.

Also great, warm cleans and almost cleans.

Using a closed back extension cab instead of the enclosure the amp comes in will help with your bass response considerably, but that'll take some of the signature tone out too.

ThePuritan likes this.
  20. ThePuritan

Yup. I am super happy with my twin, I started having problems when I connected the POD HD500x because of its amp simulations.