Best jobs for supporting your music career (being in a band etc.)

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Metalus, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

work at a warehouse, easy work and good pay.

2. Cougs

Cougs SS.org Regular

Hey guys. I might be working as a kitchen hand and am worried about fucking up my hands. Do you think they will be fine?

3. sleepy502

sleepy502 SS.org Regular

You have to cut yourself in the right spots to do damage that would affect your playing. I slashed the side of my frethand pinky on corner bead doing demolition, its fine. Was out of commission for a short while, but i found out if I slashed the top of my pinky plastic surgery would have been necessary given the depth of the cut(hit bone).

If you are careful, you will be fine.

4. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Here in the States, it's a major violation to NOT have cutting gloves in an easily accessible place inside a restaurant. If the place doesn't have them already, you can get them cheap.

The worst thing that's happened to me in 15 years was when I worked at Subway in high school. I ran my left-hand middle finger directly into a tomato slicer's blade. Had a show to play later that night and the strings kept sliding into the cut and getting stuck in it. Very painful and very bloody.

But, I've also been careful. Learning proper knife-technique goes a LONG way. Not only will you not get yelled at for hacking shit up improperly, but you'll learn how to protect your fingers.

5. Seanthesheep

Seanthesheep SS.org Regular

dont be an accountant :lol: the solid thing is that my hours are consistent everyday and because of that planning time with my band is easy, but pay isnt that good and I dont get extended leaves of absence :( plus I deal with idiots everyday, but dont we all

the only worse thing I can think of is being a student :lol:

6. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

kitchen knives are bad, but honestly are not shit compared to factory work. I was working on a 30 foot band razor blade that I had just sharpened and put the full force of my weight on my right thumb, if I had not hit bone it would have easily went all the way through. It has limited my playing since, and beyond that I touch by my nail and feel it up by the first knuckle from my hand.

Protect your hands, and never let yourself get so stressed and in a hurry that you risk damage to your fingers.

7. xchristopherx

xchristopherx SS.org Regular

I toured while I worked at gc, pay was awful. I work at best buy now, I make about 50k a year and I absolutely can not tour. I work about 35 to 45 hours a week, and my weeks are always different. I have made more money doing illustration but it's hard to keep things consistent. (at least for me) so doing t-shirts or an album cover onece or twice a week is cool for some extra money. I'd love to get into tattooing, unfortunately with shows like ink master everyone thinks they can tattoo and finding time to devote to an honest to goodness apprenticeship is out of the question for me at the moment.

I've been looking. Into warehouse jobs, pay wise though they are pretty shot.

8. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Boston seems like a pretty good place to do the graphic design thing... I'm guessing after a year or two of networking and doing work in the music/arts community you could make a living based around that.

9. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

Where do you work? I'm an accountant and I get decent PTO and I actually rarely speak with clients (but I do occasionally). Then again I'm a staff accountant.

10. sleepy502

sleepy502 SS.org Regular

Weird. I know accountants with their CGA and they are making 70k out of school, my old bosses wife is an accountant and shes pulling in 150k easily. People pay lots of money for you to smudge their books for them :p

11. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Update; we've since let go of this bassist, he attempted to cancel a gig with less than 24 hours notice because he couldn't get someone to cover his bar shift that night. He had a months lead in. We had our previous bassist step up with a few hours notice, legend.

Meanwhile in my IT job, I don't work nights or weekends at all and I've got over a month of paid leave up my sleeve, ready to take whenever I want, which I will be using it on a month long U.S tour coming up. There's also no qualms with me working remotely from a laptop etc.

Become a subject matter expert in a very specific field. Your salary and work flexibility will support you much better than an entry level retail job with no paid leave or support system.

12. Icecold

Icecold SS.org Regular

Selling houses made him gay?

13. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

I am finishing an education to become a social worker, because that's the type of jobs i like, and it'll give me a better chance of getting a bigger position in a job. That'll give me a safer situation in life, and it'll let me buy more stuff with the slightly higher pay. It'll guarantee that i won't end up on the street (although that isn't even possible in Norway unless you basically choose to say no to all the support you'll be given) so i can do music stuff on my spare time and build my empire while my job supports that. Maybe start producing and recording bands, then go from there.