Best jobs for supporting your music career (being in a band etc.)

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Metalus, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Cynic

Cynic Bored Stiff

This is the other guitarist in our band. Haha

I, however, work like a fucking mule in retail, for minimum wage. Very jealous.

2. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

Graphic design.

3. slenderman

slenderman SS.org Regular

Work at a place like Vans or Zumiez man. (depending on your age) they're super cool.

4. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

When I was in HS and college I did the server thing, and the irregular schedule made it really hard to fit in time for the bands I was in at the time.

I have a 9-5 job now (as does everyone else in my band) and its great because we have nights and weekends for rehearsal, gigs, and general chillage a large portion of the time. I would recommend that, honestly, especially since you're studying something that is conducive to it.

However I will say this: my singer and I have staggered "busy" seasons and it sucks for band stuff. I'm an accountant, so Mar/April and Sept/Oct (and sometimes even parts of december) are crazy for me time-wise. I work weekends and long hours during the week. My singer has busy season in the summer and he works 60 hours a week easily, sometimes up to 80. He's always exhausted and stressed out.

Also my bassist is working 7 day weeks right now. He's a leather-worker covering the horse shows in the area right now. Dude is insane.

5. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

Full-time student at college, I work at a restaurant 3 nights a week and I work at a grocery store 4-5 nights a week. No wonder I never have any free time to jam with a band anymore..... (Might pick up a third job at a Hookah Bar...)

6. Ill-Gotten James

Ill-Gotten James SS.org Regular

I'm a nurse. I only work 3 days a week and make a nice chunk of change, plus benefits.

7. lametacomeat

lametacomeat SS.org Regular

Got a degree in industrial and systems engineering and started working as a quality engineer. Getting off work at 3:30 PM weekdays and not working weekends is pretty nice.
    Weekday gigging sucks though when you have to get up at 5:30 in the morning.

Too bad (thankfully?) my wife doesn't let me buy whatever gear I'm having GAS for...

8. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

btw I've got a bassist who is a server/bar tender and it's a huge pain in the ass. Can hardly come to practise due to constantly changing shifts, it's always an ordeal for him to get a weekend off to do out of town shows.

Any customer service role that relies on night work would not be a good choice. Again, a field where you can become an subject matter expert (and preferably work from home on a laptop, or on the road) would be ideal.

9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Did you guys realize you're throwing numbers around in two different currencies? ;)

I don't know what the big bands do. One of my friends owns his own coffee shop (I think) in Calgary. His first band was successful, called it a day. His second band was a bit less successful, called it a day. First band reunited for tours this year. I have another friend who was in the 2nd band, and he does website design stuff. Lives in TO, seems to be doing ok. I have a friend who runs his own print/press store (does most of our merch). He seems to be doing ok, but for all I know he lives at home :lol:.

The singer for The Flatliners does graphic design and bartends when he's not on tour. Somehow I doubt he's making mad money, but he's definitely doing what he loves.

IMO, the best job you can have is one with a steady schedule, optional OT, with transferable skills. I work in a warehouse, and I'm looking to get a job in my field that I got a diploma for sooner rather than later. I needed a job, and it pays the bills - but I won't make "real" money, and there's no real room to move up. The day shift supervisor and warehouse manager both work insane hours... on salary.

10. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

That is what salary means budd :lol:

11. budda

I know, since I watch him do it every week ;)

12. LMak

LMak SS.org Regular

Throw some music at licensing companies and get a part time job. This way, you get a steady income, have an unsteady musical income while still writing music and get to see your production skills go through the roof as you continue practicing it.

13. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

That always seemed appealing to me. Have any real world results to back up that it pays the bills?

14. budda

Licensing companies have to buy your music for that to work though ;)

15. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

This is how one of my childhood friends earns a living. He played in a band called the Brightwings, you can hear their tunes on almost every shitty show MTV has produced in the last 6 years and a few other commercials. It's not a ton of money each time a clip gets played, but if you spread them out enough, it'll start covering rent.

He does a lot of studio/hired gun stuff, but also works part time at a music store.

16. Dr Muerte21

Dr Muerte21 Death From Above

I work at macys as a part time job cleaning the fitting rooms and get paid more than minimum wage and I get to choose when i want to work.

17. danresn

danresn SS.org Regular

Exchange rate is pretty much even right now. Although Australia's average wages are higher than American's. Not much of an advantage because everything is more expensive too.

18. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Spot on. The quality of life stays pretty close to the same, but when things cost more, average pay goes up, and when average pay goes up, things cost more.

If you're looking to move to a new city you can look up a cost of living index to see what you need to make in order to keep the same quality of life in the new city and compare that to typical pay for the job you do to see if it works out for you. Most of the time it seems to work out pretty close to even.

19. blister7321

blister7321 SS.org Regular

construction, im a plumber and my drummers and electrician
    plus 2 guys i work with are in a band together and the owner of the company i work for is a session musician

20. bobthebiker

bobthebiker SS.org Regular

My mates make really good money tattooing! and can book people in whenever it suits them. Tattoos are getting more popular and accepted these days and they seem to be taking full advantage of this. They're considering taking the equipment with them on the road as well to earn a bit while touring.