Best jobs for supporting your music career (being in a band etc.)

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Metalus, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

I've heard retail and call centers are good, and substitute teaching. I've heard good things about best buy. They give leave of abcenses if you're in a band. AT&T also seem to pay well at their call centers. Thoughts?

2. RickSchneider

RickSchneider SS.org Regular

You could always look into freelance tech work with repairs or engineering or something if you have the equipment and ability though it may not be as reliable as a source of income

3. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

I don't suppose you know of any places in particular to look for that sort of work? I'm actually doing engineering at uni at the moment (electrical/computer engineering). I suppose recruitment agencies or something of that sort would be the first place to look?

4. Ninjahat

Ninjahat SS.org Regular

Become a drug dealer/get a drug dealer freind

5. Luke Acacia

Luke Acacia STRAYA

When I was managing a music store I had the world in my palm. My band would jam in the shop at night once it had closed and just plug into random amps instead of lugging our gear around and being around guitars all day wasnt a bad thing. Most of my job was to service guitars so I would always have my gear 100% perfect all of the time with new strings on all of my guitars pretty much weekly and because we delt in second hand gear also, I picked up some fucking awesome bargains before they would even hit the floor.
    Other than the pay, that job was amazing for my musical "career".

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

The best would be real eatate. You can work for only 6 months a year if you wanted and still do well over 100k a year. But if you're a retard you can still probably make like 40-60k.

7. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Not law.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend a call center job or a part time retail job or anything. Will you have a lot of free time to pursue your band? Yes. Will you have a lot of money to support your band? No. And being able to afford gear and practice space and printing up signs and fliers and studio time or gear and everything really does make a difference.

Obviously there's a tradeoff here, and you're not going to be able to focus on a band if you're spending 60 hours a week working your day job. But there are definitely compromise positions - I do finance stuff, and there are a lot of entry-level and slightly above positions that will give you a good salary as well as a good work-life balance. I've moved past the point I think where I doubt I could support a serious band with the hours I put in at work (the CFA changed that, unfortunately, haha), but I still have plenty of time to play and record music for myself, and I've got a gear whoring budget that I could have only dreamed about back in college.

The most important benefit of finding a good "real" job with a decent salary but a good work-life balance? Realistically, 99% or more of all bands never go anywhere. Five years down the road, you'll be either a big, rich rock star (very doubtful), or you'll be calling it quits and moving on with your life. At that point, what would you rather have, five years of well-paid professional experience and the knowledge and aptitude that comes with that, or five years of answering phones?

EDIT - and this isn't a knock at YOU, like I don't think you personally can't make it. I just think that it's worth bearing in mind that the odds are so catastrophically stacked against you making enough money to live off as a band that a little bit of planning around that probably wouldn't hurt.

9. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

I heard (from my friend) if you work at Guitar Center they allow you to take off for shows/gigs and tours :)

10. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Yeah I heard the same about Best Buy. I gotta re apply for both jobs

11. iRaiseTheDead

Heard that man! Best of luck!

12. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

I work at Amazon
    best job, EVER for a musician.

13. iRaiseTheDead

How does one do this? I'm in need of a job!

14. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

I too am curious about this. Spill it bro!

15. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss SS.org Regular

I couldn't really recommend a good job, but don't become a mechanic. Your hands will be too fucked up to hold a guitar pick much less play a guitar. I worked as an Ironworker for about 6 years. Pay was good, got off early afternoon, weekends off (unless they were paying time and a half, but if you already had plans, the boss understood). Is only good when there's work though.

Maybe military, but your will have to meet musicians on base to play with (actually happens quite a bit). Pay isn't great, but living expenses are so low it's not hard to save up some good money.

16. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Being a musician is a tough endeavor :/

17. JoeyW

JoeyW SS.org Regular

I teach guitar and make the majority of my money working for myself (occasionally I work for my teacher at his studio- which I'll hopefully be working full time at very soon). It's a pretty rad job. I get to play guitar all day, every day and It pushes my playing in ways I would never expect.

18. Speedy Fingers

Speedy Fingers dat heel

I work in reservations at a boutique hotel. Although I don't like the hours at all (6 am - 3 pm), it does give me decent flexibility with my band. The money isn't bad either (~$35k).

I also work as a guitar teacher at a local music school about 4 - 8 hours a week for $30 an hour. So all in all I'm making enough to pay rent, student loans, and regular living expenses. Nothing goes into savings though.

19. myampslouder

myampslouder SS.org Regular

I work as a wastewater treatment plant operator. I work 12 hour shifts so I only have to work 14 days a month.

It works out pretty nicely. lots of time to practice and do whatever on my frequent days off and the pay isn't bad

20. Atomshipped

Atomshipped SS.org Regular

Going to be an engineer of some sort, electrical, civil, or energy... I hope I will be able to support my GAS well :)