Best HM2 style pedal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, Nov 5, 2017.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

So while I'm in between bands I'm in the process of upgrading the rig. I've decided that instead of going the "OD as a boost into a slightly distorted high gain amp" route like I've always done, I want to try using a nice distortion pedal into the clean channel of an amp with a ton of clean headroom. I'm currently on the lookout for either a peavey Windsor or valveking (have friends in bands who use both and they work very well for what I'm trying to achieve, plus they can be found for cheap).
    I've also noticed alot of bands I've been digging lately are using an HM2 or some variant on the design for thier tone which leads to my question: which one is the "best" for the money?

Do the clones made by dunwich or lone wolf audio, etc. have any added features that justify the increased price? Would I just be better off trying to find a deal on an original boss model for those classic entombed tones? Has anyone tried "the swede" from BYOC and if so how close does it sound to the original?

My last, and maybe best, option might be to have my friend build me a version of it (ideally an HM2 circuit but with a 3 or 4 band EQ) if he can source the right parts. He made my old band mate a killer "multi fx" unit he calls the "Nasty Nate" for $80 (essentially a ts9, Marshall guv'nor, and compressor all in one enclosure that runs on one 18v adapter).

So what's everyone's thoughts and experiences with the HM2 or its variants?

2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I'd go with the throne torcher or wurm. I mean, there is added eq features that are useful, but the classic sounds you're after were made with the Boss, so there's also not a huge amount of incentive to not just get the HM-2. I just like new things.

metaljohn likes this.
  3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

It just depends on what you want. HM2 is dope for a reason, but also real noisy. The Throne Torcher has all the HM2 original sound, but has much less noise and a modern LED clipping stage(foot switchable) that is the shit.
    The Behringer HM300 is like $20 and sounds nearly identical to the HM2.
    The BYOC I played was close but not quite right. Never tried a LHW.
    My MIT and MIJ HM2s are gone now. I use the Throne Torcher every practice and show; and the HM300 for home jamming.

Blytheryn likes this.
  4. pullingstraws

pullingstraws SS.org Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "Swedish sound" come from the pedal going into a slightly dirty/crunchy amp?

I'm not sure if that's what you're going for. Just thought I'd bring it up.

feraledge likes this.
  5. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

I've had just about every booteek hm2 under the sun and the best have been made by dunwich. I don't support LWA as the owner is a knob and the quality of the pedals isn't great.
    Throne torcher is one of the few I haven't personally owned but abominable makes excellent stuff.
    The dunwich tyrant (nails sig) and the dunwich left hand models are by a mile the best ones I've had. There's a tyrant on reverb for a good price right now that's tempting me, it'd be my 3rd one

oracles, Blytheryn and Beheroth like this.
  6. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

The correct answer is the Earthbound Audio Throat Locust

oracles likes this.
  7. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Why would you recommend buying something like a Tyrant over the original? Most have some additional features, but the Tyrant looks like a straight clone. Does it have something "extra" in the tone?

Also this one looks real cool as well. If I end up replacing my MIT one with a new clone, it might be the winner.

8. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Im just super into Nails and it has this extra filthy grindy quality to it while the regular dunwich hm2 is a little more modern/hifi sounding. The tyrant also has an internal frequency control that the other doesnt.
    Cant go wrong with either really

Beheroth and bhakan like this.
  9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have always wanted to try the BYOC Swede also. I might still one day, but I got a HM300 recently, and it basically sounds like what I expected it to sound like. I am still experimenting with how I like to use it. Pretty interesting pedal for only $25.

10. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

^ This.
    If you want the SDM tone, you want more grit than clean. I love that tone and have never thought a pedal in front of clean sounded quite aggressive enough. Also, there’s been improvements since the HM2, so I wouldn’t get too hung up on what was historically used. Nasum’s Human 2.0 has killer HM2-esque tone and it’s an SD1 in front of a Dual Rec.
    I’ve had an HM2 and have a Throne Torcher. I prefer the TT because you can get the chainsaw tone from the pedal and drop the gain completely, then use your amp’s distortion instead. Same effect but can be more aggressive without losing clarity.

11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I like the recent facelift on those pedals but none of the youtube content is working.

13. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

After reading through y'all's suggestions the EBA throat locust seems like safe bet for the price. The knob that lets you sweep through the mid frequency is what puts it over all the rest for me.

14. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Anarchy Audio JHM-2, basically a Klon style clean boost with the High and Low color knobs of an HM-2 you can add to whatever.

I hit him up awhile ago asking if he'd do another run and he said he could if there was enough interest

15. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

You mean the one in France for 260 euro's ?! Seems a very steep price to me. I made the seller a few offers but he's not selling for a dime below that asking price :( Seems a very harsh price for something that is a $195 pedal (at least, that was the retail price right?) that's essetialy a modified Dunwich Modded HM-2.

I eventually got an original MIJ HM-2 myself, and a tube preamp, rather then getting that reverb Dunwich.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

checked out some videos of that pedal and that's way more of a boost than a legit hm-2 style pedal, it just doesn't have the chainsaw/grindy tone.

17. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I own this pedal and it's pretty good. If you crank the settings it's got a nasal HM-2 tone but as a boost and overall gain pedal = perfecto.

18. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Nah there were 2 based in the US recently, one was 200 the other was a little more. They might be sold by now

19. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

The BYOC Swede sounds pretty rad (there's a comparison video on youtube). Definitely worth looking into if you're handing with a soldering iron.

I'm thinking of getting my own and putting it in a larger enclosure, hardwiring the pot values to either just a cable (pot on 10) or measure the pot value slightly turned down and put the corresponding resistor in. Have only the volume knob on the front of the pedal, and put some cheezy chainsaw related art on it, like Leatherface, or something.

20. HeadofaHessian

HeadofaHessian SS.org Regular

Crap, I ordered a Left Hand Wrath about a week ago, he said id have it before X-Mas hopefully i don't get screwed over.